TEXAS

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_7254.JPG

Texas has a low percentage of public land, but has widely varying geography and weather.

Gulf Coast of South Texas:

While the temperatures can still get hot in summertime, temperatures can be up to 15 degrees cooler in summer than just a few miles inland, the opposite in winter. The natural vegetation is a mix of grasses, sub tropical plants and bushes, and live oak trees. The land is very flat, with dunes along the coastal barrier islands.

Good remote adventure destinations include Padre Island National Seashore (PINS), Matagorda Island (no vehicles allowed), and old highway 87 along the coast south of Beaumont. All of these areas offer solitude, good fishing, and are pretty easy to get to.

Recommended destinations "within city limits" are Galveston Island and Corpus Christi. Both of these towns have a lot of history, a healthy array of museums, fine collections of Victorian homes and churches, and some of the best seafood in the US.

Piney Woods of East Texas:

Very green, with great forests of 100 ft. Tall pine trees. Several lakes and rivers, some impressive wetlands (including cypress swamps), and relatively consistent seasons.

Good camping destinations include Angelina National forest, Davy Crockett national forest, Sam Houston national forest, Sabine national forest, and Caddo Lake.

Limited attractions within city limits.

(Im still grumpy that tapatalk ate my post. Ill fill in details when i get over myself)

Last edited:
To expound on the limited public land areas in the state, the opportunities to enjoy all forms of outdoor recreation (and 4x4 travel) are plentiful by visiting and taking advantage of the state parks system. Texas has an incredible number of state parks spread throughout the state with park rangers who are knowledgeable about the areas each park resides in, well maintained camping areas for vehicles and/or primitive camping for those who like to pack in/out, etc.

Big Bend National Park is a great place for beginners. Any stock 4x4 can traverse 90% of the dirt roads. There are many primitive backcountry campsites throughout the park.

f208d750f0a446d26b8e51cba1a2d501.jpg

During peak times (Fall & Spring) all of the campsites can fill up quickly. Backcountry campsite permits can only be obtained in person. Because the park is in the middle of nowhere, I recommend reserving a room in nearby Terlingua for your first two nights in case no campsites are available.

The ranger station at Panther Junction sells a great backcountry road guide. It lists plenty of historical sites and places of interest based on mileage from the start of the road.

Some of the roads are great for mountain biking as well.

Big Bend is a great place for star gazing. There is minimal light pollution. Staring up at the sky there is mesmerizing.

If you are looking for something a little more challenging try Big Bend Ranch State Park. T

If you have any questions let me know. I would be happy to answer them.

Last edited:
Last month I organized the Texas Hill Country Rendezvous, a revival of the old Hill Country Tour. It was a pretty good time. Here is the .gpx and Google Map from the "choose your own adventure" style route I put together for the group.
Google
.gpx file
Keep your eyes peeled for a wildflower edition of the Rendezvous. My sources tell me there might just be a trip in the works for spring... ;)

Looking at the route, most of it comprises of CR roads? I've been exploring the CRs in Brazos and Grimes county looking for neat things that would be worthy of a loop.

There are a few neat treasures along portions of the route. I usually stick to the county roads through that area because Texas is all private land and people don't move out there to be around other people, if you know what I mean.

Just thought I'd post this here ;) I live in Central TX (Near Waco) so as stated centrally located in TX. I just wanted to put the word out to fellow adventurers that if out and about and you may need assistance I am willing to help. I'm retired so home most days when not traveling. I have a home shop that is pretty well equipped and even have a lift. So if you are out and need assistance or heck just a place to take a break from the road give a shout. (254) 498-7967 call or text.

Haven't really camped in Texas but have driven from San Diego to Austin, Houston three times I must say that y'all sure know how to handle brisket and beef ribs. I made it mandatory to visit Lockhart every time for BBQ hopping. Thumbs up to Black's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

Can't go wrong at either spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

Just thought I'd post this here ;) I live in Central TX (Near Waco) so as stated centrally located in TX. I just wanted to put the word out to fellow adventurers that if out and about and you may need assistance I am willing to help. I'm retired so home most days when not traveling. I have a home shop that is pretty well equipped and even have a lift. So if you are out and need assistance or heck just a place to take a break from the road give a shout. (254) 498-7967 call or text.
My Ac compressor started throwing PAG oil outside of Whitney last week on the way to the state park...not catastrophic, just a windier ride home, but if I had realized I would have invited you to join our camp for some beverages.

I posted the below info regarding an upcoming trip in another forum I frequent.

Ok. So. Spring is tough for everyone, I understand that. I propose we keep this thing very informal.
Dates: Weekend of April 9th (Sat)
Where: Hill Country, No set route, I have uploaded a good map of public back-roads which I have already confirmed to be genuinely public and we can use that to explore.
Camp: TBD Although, I'm inclined to just say camp where you want. (I will probably camp SLRSP friday night. Not sure about Saturday)

My initial thought is we find somewhere to gather and camp friday night (SLRSP?). We hit the hill country on Saturday and drive around / explore all day ending somewhere near Marble Falls so that any folks can camp at Hidden Falls and wheel all day Sunday or even just head home afterwards on Saturday. That seems pretty informal and flexible to fit a wide range of schedules / preferences while ensuring some fun and laughs together.

Who wants in on this?

I posted the below info regarding an upcoming trip in another forum I frequent.

Ok. So. Spring is tough for everyone, I understand that. I propose we keep this thing very informal.
Dates: Weekend of April 9th (Sat)
Where: Hill Country, No set route, I have uploaded a good map of public back-roads which I have already confirmed to be genuinely public and we can use that to explore.
Camp: TBD Although, I'm inclined to just say camp where you want. (I will probably camp SLRSP friday night. Not sure about Saturday)

My initial thought is we find somewhere to gather and camp friday night (SLRSP?). We hit the hill country on Saturday and drive around / explore all day ending somewhere near Marble Falls so that any folks can camp at Hidden Falls and wheel all day Sunday or even just head home afterwards on Saturday. That seems pretty informal and flexible to fit a wide range of schedules / preferences while ensuring some fun and laughs together.

Who wants in on this?

As I said on the other forum, were in :)

Back
Top Bottom