Tent Stakes - Which type is best?

Did you find that on eBay?

Google search for: +"ultimate stake" +"6061 Aluminum" +tent

The plus before a phrase in quotes or a word in the search indicates to google to require those phrases or words in the result. This pointed me to a site which claimed they had them in stock. Ordered 2 sets of 6. Got their last 10. If you want the site PM me. I'm not going to post it. I'm getting a threat/violation warning from Trend Micro when I just visited them.

Running another search produced this interesting result. The design moves the force away from the top of the peg towards the center. Kind of a tent-peg-pull-pal.

https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/us/Delta-Ground-Anchor-Ultimate-Tent-Peg/m-7008.aspx
"The most important and unique feature is the position of the guy attachment point which ensures that the load is evenly distributed to the ground and eliminates any leverage"
7008-5.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Just make arms for the Snow-Peak or the Snow-Peak knock-off tent stakes.

tbh, it'd probably be pretty be trivial to make a run of stakes similar to the Snow Peak ones. Just laser them out of some stainless and then deburr the edges on a drum sander. They won't look as fancy, but be just as functional.

tbh, it'd probably be pretty be trivial to make a run of stakes similar to the Snow Peak ones. Just laser them out of some stainless and then deburr the edges on a drum sander. They won't look as fancy, but be just as functional.

Heavy stock. Sure. But I had the capability to laser out stuff from heavy stainless steel the last thing I'd be making is tent stakes :)

OC.jpg

Very nice.

BUT. How do you get them out?

That’s where Snow Peak wins. Their hammer. Replaceable copper head so it doesn’t destroy your stakes. Specially designed hook to work with their stakes for extraction, just twist and pull and your stakes come out. Every. Time.

Have their stakes and have their hammer. Can't be beat by anything else I've ever used.

I like the HD stakes OZTent uses, too, and have yet to bend one pounding it in with the Snow Peak copper-headed hammer.

Have their stakes and have their hammer. Can't be beat by anything else I've ever used.

I like the HD stakes OZTent uses, too, and have yet to bend one pounding it in with the Snow Peak copper-headed hammer.

Buy once cry once, right? I’m all about buying something ONCE.

;)

I've mentioned this in another thread, but IMHO, there's no single "best stake". Soil conditions matter too much. The spike styles work great in hard ground, but in the soft, silty stuff I spend a lot of time in, surface area counts for more.

I carry a variety of stakes for a variety of conditions, but for Anza Borrego and other sandy places, I've yet to find something that performs better than the $1.65 plastic sand stakes from Home Depot:

oranges-peaches-plastic-edging-4150-64_1000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom