Tent Stakes - Which type is best?

hikeinmysleep

Adventurist
I'm tired of my current tent stakes pulling at any slight breath of wind, so I decide to research a little.

I found out here: https://professionalcamping.com/best-tent-stakes/ that there are multiple types of stake. I had no idea!

Does anyone have any recommendations on which type is best? Does it depend on the surface that I'm camping on?

I would appreciate any advice before I invest!

The soil/ground type will determine which style works best but in general I've found that I can get by with two types depending on where I'm going. A spike style is easier to use in rocky/hard terrain and for general use I like the Y style like the MSR Groundhog. In loose soils (beach sand)/snow you will need something with more holding power though. I carry larger stakes in the truck for he awning I use off the back of the truck since weight isn't an issue and being larger and up higher it's heavier and catches a lot more wind.

Round stakes are generally the worst for holding in any type of ground, although they're the easiest to remove. You need surface area to resist pulling through the substrate. V or T-shaped stakes are better, and the bigger they are, the better they hold. Simple physics. There's more here. For a tent you're carrying in a vehicle it's just silly to worry about weight.

Also consider being prepared to use alternatives to stakes. A deadman anchor in sand or snow will work better than a simple pin.

In a past life we would put nets over large vehicles (tanks, trucks, etc). Traditionally this meant using a sledge hammer and pounding in a 3’ engineer stake. We started digging a small trench perpendicular to the guyline, attached the line to the middle of the stake, laid it in the trench, and covered with sand. It would hold perfectly and we never had one pull out in winds that still snapped lines and broke fiberglass pole supports. Removal was a lot easier than a stake too!

Where do you live? Or, rather, where do you camp most often?

I live and camp in the southeast (not Florida - too damn hot). I've had good luck with the Snow Peak tent stakes in the rocky clay soil around here.

Where do you live? Or, rather, where do you camp most often?

I live and camp in the southeast (not Florida - too damn hot). I've had good luck with the Snow Peak tent stakes in the rocky clay soil around here.

Snow Peak. Buy once, cry once ;)

These military stakes are by far the best and cheap too. 24 for $28.95 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-S...574529?hash=item2378162cc1:g:5l0AAOxyXWdQ6ahO

s-l1600.jpg

Or, check out Amazon for their selection of Snow-Peak knock-off tent stakes. I cam live with myself for purchasing a non-USA made for a tent stake that is way-cheaper... it's a disposable item for criss-sakes, why sell a kidney for a "name brand" tent flippin' stake?

upload_2018-3-31_14-44-2.png

I have these guys bookmarked. Haven't had the need yet. Still have a few packs of cheap plastics one's I haven't gone through yet.

https://monkindustries.com/products-page/military-stakes/

https://monkindustries.com/products-page/forged-head-12/

Very nice.

BUT. How do you get them out?

That’s where Snow Peak wins. Their hammer. Replaceable copper head so it doesn’t destroy your stakes. Specially designed hook to work with their stakes for extraction, just twist and pull and your stakes come out. Every. Time.

th

My all purpose camp hammer. It'll drive most any tent stake as well as remove them.

Round stakes are generally the worst for holding in any type of ground, although they're the easiest to remove. You need surface area to resist pulling through the substrate. V or T-shaped stakes are better, and the bigger they are, the better they hold. Simple physics. There's more here. For a tent you're carrying in a vehicle it's just silly to worry about weight.

Or.

I was able to find 10 of the 12" version of the aluminum stake online for around $35. The remains of their last stock.

Back
Top Bottom