Tarp vs ezup for shade

ohv

Adventurist
I have a ezup that I mostly use while cooking, over a table or sitting area. However looking to bridge the ground tent and ezup or truck.

This popped up as a good choice Kelty Noah's Tarp Sun Shelter https://amzn.to/2Uidfgt but doesn’t come with poles, Amazon is doing 15% back on select outdoor gear...

I also use an ez-up as you described. I went looking for a tarp to use in the same manner and came up with this after getting a suggestion from a friend: https://tinyurl.com/y6xsv943

At 210d it's thicker than most other lightweight tarps I was looking at, but I think that has helped its durability. It's ridden in motorcycle luggage, under the seat of various vehicles, travelled in the bottom of my hiking pack and gotten shoved in the stuff sack with my hammock and 3 years later it's still going strong. Still waterproof and the seams look new. I've had lighter weight tarps in the past with seams that failed after being used to cover hammocks and tents when the wind would stress them.

I've got one of the Kelty Noah's Tarps and I don't care for it.

Incidentally, here's the second link without the trackers:

I have tried both and found I like the tarps better. The EZ up shelters are bulky and heavy and suck during high winds. I've seen them destroyed too many times to be a fluke. A tarp is nice, especially if there are trees to use. You can also secure a tarp quicker when winds pick up. Less gear, more go!

I have the 16 X 16 Kelty Noah's Tarp and two pairs of adjustable poles. Packs much smaller than any pop-up, but takes longer to erect and store. With Kelty's poles, it isn't the cheapest things either, but they are a *lot* more robust than other poles available.

31948791_1257242337739002_1231292885253488640_o.jpg

I need to fiddle with it more in rainy setups, though. This worked, but I'd hav liked the ridge a little tighter.

41473083_1372732309523337_8757966404247879680_o.jpg

I just got the 9X9 for Christmas to use over the tailgate with one pair of poles, but haven't used it yet.

I've got one of the Kelty Noah's Tarps and I don't care for it.

Incidentally, here's the second link without the trackers:

What don’t you like? I don’t see a link...

Not shabby at all and comes with poles! I might just go this route.

I have the 16 X 16 Kelty Noah's Tarp and two pairs of adjustable poles. Packs much smaller than any pop-up, but takes longer to erect and store. With Kelty's poles, it isn't the cheapest things either, but they are a *lot* more robust than other poles available.

View attachment 44048

I need to fiddle with it more in rainy setups, though. This worked, but I'd hav liked the ridge a little tighter.

View attachment 44049

I just got the 9X9 for Christmas to use over the tailgate with one pair of poles, but haven't used it yet.

Great setup pretty much what I’m going for. Nice trailer to boot!

My first awning set up was a nice tarp and poles. I found it to be slow to erect and take down, packing when damp just added to the fun. I like fast set up and tear down and a tarp IMHO is not that!

I'm a lazy packer myself so I have large compression sacks for sleeping bags and all the other items. Smash n go Haha. Air it out later.

Anyone using a government surplus parachute? I have been thinking it would stuff easy and be pretty easy setup if in wooded area. Would like some input if anyone is using or has tried to use.

Anyone using a government surplus parachute? I have been thinking it would stuff easy and be pretty easy setup if in wooded area. Would like some input if anyone is using or has tried to use.

The real issue with these are no UV protection... I was in one of them Military type of schools for few years and I would burn like no other under them. At burning man you see a lot of them but much thicker I believe.

What don’t you like? I don’t see a link...

<snip.

Weird, half of my post disappeared. :confused:

I had one of the original Noah's Tarps and I didn't care for the shape; you've got to move towards the center for actual rain or sun shelter. It does not work well off the back or side of the truck either. I think I donated it to one of the bus club raffles.

The Noah's Tarp is only one of the tarps I've tried over the years:

I've got one of the old, now discontinued, Kelty Carport and it kinda sucks as well. It's OK for a sun shelter but the material is too light so it wants to act like a sail in even light breezes and the roll up window shade is on the inside so if you try to use it for a rainfly the water pools in the window area then drips through the Velcro window shade. o_O I bought it to use on the side of my old VW camper since it has a raised middle and I could stand under it when it was clamped to my raingutter (using a couple of spring clamps). Pretty sure it's still stored with some other unloved gear.

On the VW, I ended up using a green Cordura tarp with eitehr two poles on the ends or adding a second set of poles to create a raised peak in the middle.

I have one of the ENO tarps for hammock camping and it works much better since it provides more coverage but you have to use additional guy lines. It lives in the back of my truck with the ENO hammock.

And yet another option I picked up came from (pre-retardation) Dick's. It was sold as tailgating accessory and has Velcro loops sewn on one end to connect to a roofrack crossbar and a couple of poles for the other end. As it came originally it was trapezoidal shaped, getting larger as it got further from the vehicle, and the end was designed to be a wall. I cut that off and hemmed the edge and just use it as a tarp. It works pretty well if you hook the end straps around the roof rack bases so that it can't slide when the wind blows.

For all of the money I've wasted on various setups I could have just bought an ARB awning and been much better off. :headbang

Here's that Amazon link: KampFit 9.8'x9.8' Waterproof Tarp

Reactions: ohv
The real issue with these are no UV protection... I was in one of them Military type of schools for few years and I would burn like no other under them. At burning man you see a lot of them but much thicker I believe.

Newer tech awaits. Check out Force Protector Gear’s tarps for the latest in lightweight UV and thermal protection. Yes expensive. But incredible multi-role performance.

https://www.forceprotector.com/fpg-online-store/ThermaShield-GP-General-Purpose-p94813084

An E-Z UP is dangerous in windy conditions. Staked down, they destroy themselves. Unstaked, they will fly and flip, which may damage vehicles or injure someone.

DRV 2015 - Blue E-Z Up getting destroyed by a sudden wind storm:
ezup1.jpg

ezup2.jpg

I am a fan of the Noah's Tarp, and the Force Protector Tarp. I have found that both are easy to setup and adjust for changing conditions. The Force Protector wins for sun protection.

Noah's Tarp connected to my surf rack and two REI Adjustable Tarp Poles:
nt.jpg

Force Protector Tarp connected to my surf rack and two Green Elephant Telescoping Tarp Poles:
fpg1.jpg

I have added snaps to the Noah's Tarp and I can easily connect it to my Force Protector Tarps (I have two) to divert the wind, or create more shade. I will add pictures once I find them. Also, Force Protector has sales throughout the year and I was able to score mine for half off.

You get what you pay for. The thermal protection (real shade) that it provides is like something from NASA.

Back
Top Bottom