Supermoon Seared Spencer Steaks (SSSS)!

Mojoe Outfitters

Adventurist
The last full moon on November 14 was designated a "Super Moon" because the moon's orbit brought it to it closer to the Earth than it has in about 67 years. This rare event made me want to get "out there" and celebrate it's rising with what is arguably the world's best steak: The Spencer Steak. The Spencer is essentially all that is great about the ribeye (the center) tied up neatly with string into a full moon shape. Spencer steaks should only be made from USDA Prime ribeyes because of the intricate marbling that infuses the meat with incredible flavor.

On Supermoon Day, I went to a local butcher in Sierra Madre, CA called Taylor's Ol' Fashion Meats which sells only the highest quality Prime meats and picked up two half-pound Spencer Steaks for $35!

The only venue that seamed appropriate for the gourmet Super Moon celebration was at the top of a mountain called San Olean that, at 3,400 feet, overlooks the entire LA basin and is directly above Sierra Madre. Here is a picture that I took outside Taylor's that shows the mountain top where my buddy Enzo and I would be cooking later in the day:

IMG_0770.JPG

On top of that mountain, there is a water tank with a huge concrete disk on top of it that directs all of the rain that falls on it into the tank for use by firefighters during future conflagrations. A hillside next to the tank allows one to jump on top of the disk. This was the venue for cooking the Supermoon Seared Spencer Steaks (SSSS) on, you guessed it, the Mojoe Griddle! The view from there is spectacular and you can watch as the sun sets over LA and the city lights come alive while we cook an unbelievable gourmet meal on the Mojoe! This is the Mojoe Lifestyle at it's best. Here's the video we shot:

After we savored our meal, Enzo and I sat in our camp chairs and looked over the city lights for a couple of hours solving all the world's problems. That's when a large 350 lb.+ bear sauntered in near my truck below us! I'm sure he wanted in on our steaks and had been traveling for two hours to get there once the smell of our SSSS tickled his nose. At that point, we decided it was time to leave so I carried our gear down to my truck while my buddy performed guard duty with one of the legs from my Camp Chef stove!

Cam

That sure sounded like a solid plan and looked like an outstanding execution. A motivating story for even short adventures. Thank you.

That sure sounded like a solid plan and looked like an outstanding execution. A motivating story for even short adventures. Thank you.

Yes! It was a full half-day adventure that I will remember for a long time! I went to Taylor's Meats about noon, picked up the steaks, went home, packed the cooking gear in my truck, cooked the potatoes and then left the house at about 3:00pm and was at the top of the mountain by about 3:45 and started into cookin'. Few people realize that real (American) Adventure, that, in this case included a bear scare, can be found just minutes from their house!

Cam

Back
Top Bottom