Suggestions for hauling kayaks

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
After an exhaustive research period my Chief Financial Officer has finally released the funds needed to procure a pair of kayaks. We've decided to start with a set of Old Town Vapor 10s. The reviews all seem positive, they'll handle the tame waters we'll be frequenting and we ran across a great deal. Now I need to figure out how to haul these things around.

I've got a plan for mounting them on the trailer on either side of our RTT, but would prefer not to have to drag the trailer along if we want to go somewhere local for the day. My Sequoia has no factory roof rack and, in fact, lacks the factory mounting points for the rack completely.

I've looked at a couple rack options that range from $200 eBay cross bar specials all the way up to the $1600 Gobi Stealth, but am completely undecided as to what route to go.

I'm looking for suggestions with the following in mind:

- A permanent rack. The options that strap down through door openings and such don't appeal to me.

- Will typically only see the kayaks as cargo...i can't think of anything else the internal space of the Sequoia or the trailer couldn't swallow up.

- Universal fit. The Sequoia lacks the factory mounting points and the curtain air bags dictate where I can drill through the roof to mount a rack. The rack mounts need to be able to adjust for this.

After selecting the rack comes the matter of picking hardware that will support the kayaks themselves... That seems to be another rabbit hole. Suggestions are needed here as well.

I'm also curious if there is an option (other than a dedicated kayak trailer) that I'm unaware of...

I've seen folks just attach them to the front and rear bumper with straps/rope and have them sit in pool noodles on the roof. It's not elegant but it's cheap and effective. There are also bare roof rack options that attach to the door frame and still allow normal use of the doors.

Etrailer always has lots of options too. There's always ladder racks or hitch tongue extenders made for canoes etc.

Back
Top Bottom