Storage Boxes.

Those Plano boxes are pretty inexpensive, made domestically, and widely available in the US. Boring.

Wouldn't you prefer to go with something more expensive, made outside the US, only available from one or 2 distributors in the US, and made of an exotic material that can be easily scratched and dented? That seems much more Expedition worthy...

:D I couldn't resist... :D
We were camping in Lake Texoma December 26/27 during the tornado outbreak and extreme weather (smart right?), after bailing camp our normal 4 hour drive home took nearly 6 due to the heavy rain and flooding. We were traveling 40mph on I-45, a 75mph road, for some of it, then dodging serious flooding on Texas-14.

I never considered the 1819 or 1919 waterproof, but the 1919's seal worked perfectly and the camp kitchen gear was dry. The 1819s had a good deal of water in them.

That is some of the more extreme rain events I would expect to travel in, and I have no plans to stop using my Plano cases, but I'm going to be ready with a "leading edge" tarp to keep the highway driven rain out.

image.jpg

From a fuel stop on I-45.

We were camping in Lake Texoma December 26/27 during the tornado outbreak and extreme weather (smart right?), after bailing camp our normal 4 hour drive home took nearly 6 due to the heavy rain and flooding. We were traveling 40mph on I-45, a 75mph road, for some of it, then dodging serious flooding on Texas-14.

I never considered the 1819 or 1919 waterproof, but the 1919's seal worked perfectly and the camp kitchen gear was dry. The 1819s had a good deal of water in them.

That is some of the more extreme rain events I would expect to travel in, and I have no plans to stop using my Plano cases, but I'm going to be ready with a "leading edge" tarp to keep the highway driven rain out.

View attachment 19478

From a fuel stop on I-45.

I would try sticking some of that window/door weather stripping in the 1919's with some silicone. I returned my 1819's and bought 1919's. I like cheap gear that works.

I would try sticking some of that window/door weather stripping in the 1919's with some silicone. I returned my 1819's and bought 1919's. I like cheap gear that works.
I'm not too terribly worried about it, previously in less Ark worthy rain events it wasn't as bad, mission critical gear that can't get wet are protected in the cases for the most part.

The Decked Storage system pictured above by Raul is very stylish, and no doubt a great way to organize. But do a little three-dimensional math. Install a drawer system and you've lost perhaps 20 percent of your available storage volume just to the bulk of the system. Put containers inside the drawers and you're losing another 20 percent, easy. If the organization and access is worth it, great. But you're losing storage space for that convenience. I noticed this immediately when comparing a Jeep JK with a drawer system to one without.

I think it's going to be that way with any organizational storage unit. The most being the curvature of the body panel area being lost using modular squared-off drawer systems. I went proprietary custom pushing the drawers as off to the side as I could, but even then, I still lost space behind the wheel well bumps and some space under the speaker holes. It's still a useless area that's hard to get to anyways. It's a give-and-take with storage. With Raul's linked system, you still retain a flat deck above the drawers+containers to maximize whatever you need to place above. That plus a JK doesn't have much space to begin with :D .

The best thing I feel, is to consolidate and organize what you need and what you don't. Then build your storage system around that.

I have a Pelican 1650 that was given to me. I use it for my kitchen set up. My stove, propane, utensils, and all my dishes are in it. Currently don't have a picture of it.
Just bought a used Pelican 1720 on the cheap for holding recovery gear. Need to buy a couple more cases, probably the Plano 1919 to hold stuff in.

Over the past two years I have used a couple different bins/boxes to store my camp kitchen, perishable goods and other assorted items. Im talking everything from rubbermaid bins, older hardigg cases, and cardboard boxes. I have been looking at getting a couple of Frontrunner Wolf packs.

But I recently just found these cases on amazon and they are supposedly made in the US and slightly smaller than wolf packs. I am leaning towards these. If anyone has any feedback or other suggestions lets hear them

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/mtm-ammunition-crate.php
i love all 8 of mine plus the smaller depth ones

Are any of y'all using bear proof containers? I have read that some national parks require them if camping there?

Are any of y'all using bear proof containers? I have read that some national parks require them if camping there?

I don't, food is in the fridge it has a seal. I'm sure a bear can still smell it if got close enough to camp. With waste it gets wrapped up in a plastic bag they put in a bigger trash bag and NOT stored where I sleep. I camp in the North Cascades and BC Canada, plenty of bear. I've only had a couple bear sightings. They pretty much keep to them selves.

Back
Top Bottom