Stitch the Tacoma

NC-Trooper

Adventurist
My Tacoma aka "Stitch" (like the Disney character) is what I wish to be buried in. I'm serious! Ever since the second generation of Tacoma came out I have wanted a blue one. So when the chance arose for me to take over someone else's overland project I went for it. To this day I still look for every excuse to drive this truck. The old saying, "if you don't look back at your vehicle to admire it as you walk away, you're doing it wrong" applies here. I am a converted Jeep guy and I seriously love this truck.

Stitch is used for long "overland" style trips, to haul mountain bikes, dogs, and kayaks, as well as anything else I need. I do hit the trails offroading too. If you ever see me at URE feel free to say hello. I do most of my own maintenance and modifications and try to keep things as budget friendly as possible without skimping on the important stuff.

Sidenote: I am a weekend warrior with this whole overland thing so I won't throw that word around a lot.

Here is my 2007 Toyota Tacoma as it sits:
iYQ7D3D.jpg

22OE7Sn.jpg

pz7QNMs.jpg

List of current modifications:
ARB color matched front bumper
Warn 8,000 lb winch (steel cable)
OME 2" lift w/ coilovers upfront
SOS Offroad Concepts low profile bed rails
Falken Wildpeak A/T 265/75/R16
trusty ole High-Lift jack
CVT Mt. Bachelor roof top tent
CB radio
Interstate deep cell battery
mud flap delete
Some Blue Ridge Overland Gear scattered throughout. Gotta support local business!:flag
Trasharoo
Ebay maxtracks to help any stuck Jeeps I find stuck on the trail. ;)
Bottle opener mod in the truck bed
LED Rock Lights

Near Future Modifications:
SOS Offroad Fab rock sliders
ARB underbody skids
hot water shower system for the wife

Not So Near Future Modifications:
285 M/T's
high clearance rear bumper
beef up the front drivetrain
ARB front air locker
ARB on board air
Regear

Last edited:
Nothing new build wise but a little adventure update. I went up to the Asheville, NC for some fun. My buddy and I finished up his adventure trailer. The plan is for him and his wife to head west for Utah and Montana for some mountain biking and what not.
My buddy did the fab work, I just drank PBR and heckled him until it was time to paint.

Here are some photos of the build in different phases:
y6DweM5.jpg

DJnWvEI.jpg

LTEZO4e.jpg

fjhOqbE.jpg

Ultimately the upper rack system will be reattached and the RTT reinstalled. All in all he has about $1,000 in the build not including the CVT obviously. This trailer is sweet, and I can't believe it was originally going to be a horse buggy! Definitely a case of "built not bought."

I went out and got my truck dirty on some trails because Stitch was looking a little too clean.

RTczoBE.jpg

We had a little Taco party too.

yAdXWS9.jpg

Update:

Wiring & Lighting:
I am by no means a pro at wiring or even remotely close. I have wired some very basic things in my 4x4's before like CB radios and off-road lights with some adverse effects such has small fires and what not; granted this was when I was in high school 7 years ago but still. I knew I needed to isolate as many of the accessories I add from the truck's electronics so that I wouldn't interfere with my rigs ability to function. Chasing wiring gremlins is not how I want to spend my free time.

ikpJYbI.jpg

TItNoQD.jpg

So I added a second fuse panel to accomplish this. For some reason I failed to take a picture of it actually installed but you get the idea. At the moment I have the ability to run 6 different accessories through the fuse panel. I may end up making a new bracket because the current one I made is just flat out ugly.

1YjHfLZ.jpg

1uvdgmK.jpg

I installed rocks lights. I do not really plan on rock crawling, especially at night but I'd like to option. :cool: Honestly, it's for campsite lighting and so the wife more feels comfortable taking any late night bathroom runs.

Next up I am installing a camp light that will also double as extra reverse lights. This is still a working progress but I am going to wire it through the storage compartment in the truck's bed and then under the truck. I went with the amazon knock-off lights, hopefully they last.

ZXVVsGu.jpg

5CIBAx0.jpg

xvfVKK2.jpg

I hit the trails of Uwharrie National Forest last weekend. From my doorstep I can be at Eldorado Outpost in a little over an hour. If you do not know the Outpost, then you do not know Uwharrie...

NMTLPwe.jpg

DJmxEyZ.jpg

I also ordered some SOS Off-road Concepts rock sliders w/ kickouts! I cannot wait to get my hands on them and install them. I have been avoided the more challenging obstacles without sliders and I can't stand it!

I'll post pics once I have them and get them installed. I hope to have them before the Appalachian Rendezvous!

Back
Top Bottom