Steer Smarts steering upgrades for Jeep JL Wrangler/JT Gladiator

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
I just put the whole Steer Smarts catalog on the front of my 2018 JLUR (running 2.5 lift with 35's), including the Griffin attenuator. While it was in pieces I added the Rock Krawler JL spring correction pads on all 4 corners to ensure the coil springs stay lined up. I also added the Rusty's track bar brace and had a quality front end alignment done by a small local shop that I trust.

Thoughts after install: The Jeep does drive different. Smooth, predictable. Less constant adjustment going down the road. No issues now or "death wobble" when hitting large bumps or potholes at speed, even offset bumps (FWIW, I have never experienced DW with the JL anyway). It's very smooth now. And everything about the Steer Smarts parts is BEEFY. I have serious peace of mind now knowing that everything up front is heavy duty and squared away.

It always drove straight, but compared to previous IFS rigs I've owned it just felt "boaty" to me like my old '67 Chevy truck with manual steering, but no more.

That said, here's my opinion on JL/JT (they are identical) steering in general:

This is a solid axle front end. If you are coming from an IFS truck or car you just can't compare the steering feel or performance. SFA is old tech and we can tune it up but in the end it has mechanical limitations to it's performance, especially when you add large mud tires etc. There is no magic fix that's going to make a lifted, SFA Jeep with big tires drive, steer and track like an IFS truck or car. That's the truth.

Add all the parts you want, make it strong, build it to hit the trail, but it's always going to drive like a Jeep on the road. That's my feedback after adding everything possible circa 2019.
clear.png

FULL DISCLOSURE: I paid cash for these parts and am not sponsored by Steer Smarts. Just sharing my opinion.

Looking at eventually doing the same thing, however one piece at a time. What piece of their product lineup would you suggest adding first?

Looking at eventually doing the same thing, however one piece at a time. What piece of their product lineup would you suggest adding first?

IMHO, the foundation of the entire front suspension (beyond the frame) lies in the track bar. Keeping that true as it cycles is as key as anything.

The Yeti XD track bar is where I’d start.

Back
Top Bottom