State by state vehicle lift laws

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
I thought this might be some useful information.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/bumper-height/

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted.

Alaska
Modifications of original vehicle bumper height are permitted. Maximum frame height: 24 inches up to 4,500 lbs. GVWR; 26 inches for 4,501 to 7,500 lbs. GVWR; and 28 inches for 7,501 to 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Arizona
Modification of original vehicle bumper is permitted.

Arkansas

California
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted. Maximum frame height: 23 inches for passenger vehicles.

Colorado

Connecticut
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted, up to 4 inches from manufacturer’s original height for passenger vehicle, up to 30 inches above roadway for commercial vehicle.

Delaware
No passenger vehicle or station wagon shall be registered or operated upon any highway of the state if the bumper height exceeds 22 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bumper.

District of Columbia
Modification of original bumper height is permitted.

Florida
Maximum bumper heights are as follows:

Vehicles with a net weight of less than 2,500 lbs: 22 inches.

Vehicles with a net weight between 2,500 lbs. and 3,500 lbs: front bumper, 24 inches; rear bumper, 26 inches.

Vehicles with a net weight of 3,500 lbs. or more: front bumper, 27 inches; rear bumper, 29 inches.

Georgia
Modification of original vehicle bumper height or altering suspension system is illegal if altered more than 2 inches above or below factory recommendations.

Hawaii
The maximum bumper height for passenger vehicles is 22 inches; for vehicles with a GVWR of 4,500 lbs. and under, 29 inches; for vehicles with a GVWR of 4,501 to 7,500 lbs., 33 inches; for vehicles with a GVWR of 7,501 to 10,000 lbs., 35 inches.

Idaho
Maximum bumper heights are determined by vehicle class and the GVWR. As such, the maximum heights are:

• Passenger cars, front: 22 inches; rear: 22 inches.
  • Trucks and multipurpose vehicles, front: 24 inches; rear: 26 inches.
  • Vehicles from 4,501 to 7,500 lbs. GVWR, front: 27 inches; rear: 29 inches.
  • Vehicles from 7,501 to 10,000 lbs. GVWR, front: 28 inches; rear: 30 inches.
  • 4-wheel drive or dual-wheel vehicles with a 10,000 lbs. or less GVWR, front: 30 inches; rear: 31 inches.

Illinois
The maximum bumper height on all motor vehicles except multipurpose passenger vehicles is 28 inches for the front bumper and 30 inches for the rear bumper, measured from the road surface.

Indiana
A passenger vehicle that was originally equipped with a standard bumper must have a bumper when operated on a highway. The height of the bumper cannot vary more than 3 inches from the original manufactured bumper height.

Iowa
Modification of bumper height is permitted.

Kansas

Kentucky
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted, provided Driver’s vision is not obscured.

Louisiana

Puerto Rico

Maine
Modification of original vehicle frame height permitted. Maximum frame height for vehicles up to 4,500 lbs is 24 inches in the front and 26 inches in the rear. Lift blocks and spring shackle extensions are prohibited. Door height limits apply.

Maryland
A person may not operate a vehicle on any highway if the height of the vehicle’s bumpers exceed:

• 20 inches for passenger vehicles;
  • 28 inches for multipurpose vehicles and trucks with GVW of 10,000 lbs. or less;
  • 30 inches for trucks with a GVW exceeding 10,000 lbs.; or
  • 32 inches for trucks used for spraying agricultural crops.
A bumper may not be modified or extended upward or downward to compensate for vehicle suspension or body alterations or modifications.

Massachusetts
No person shall alter, modify, or change the height of a motor vehicle with an original manufacturer’s GVWR of up to and including 10,000 lbs., by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than 2 inches above or below the manufacturer’s specified height.

Michigan
A passenger car shall not have a frame height that exceeds 12 inches or a bumper height that exceeds 22 inches. A pickup truck or sport utility vehicle cannot exceed the following: up to 4,500 GVWR – 24-inch frame height, 26-inch bumper height; 4,501 to 7,500 GVWR – 24-inch frame height, 28-inch bumper height; 7,501 to 10,000 GVWR – 26-inch frame height, 30-inch bumper height.

All trucks or sport utility vehicles having an increased suspension must be equipped with a bumper on both the front and rear of the vehicle.

Minnesota
The maximum bumper height (measured from the bottom of the bumper to the ground) for any passenger automobile or station wagon is 20 inches.

The maximum bumper height of any 4-wheel drive multipurpose vehicle, van, or pickup truck is 25 inches.

Mississippi
Modification of original vehicle bumper height cannot exceed 8 inches total lift with a maximum of 6-inch suspension lift front and rear.

Missouri
Bumper are required. The maximum bumper height for passenger vehicles is 22 inches.

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada
The maximum bumper height for a passenger car is 24 inches.

New Hampshire
The height of a bumper of a private passenger vehicle must be between 16 and 20 inches from the ground.

The height of a bumper of any vehicle other than a private passenger vehicle must be between 16 and 30 inches from the ground.

New Jersey
Bumpers shall be mounted at a height that meets manufacturer’s specifications.

New Mexico

New York
No person shall operate a motor vehicle with a model year of 1999 or after, except a motorcycle or special purpose commercial vehicle granted an exception by the DMV, which is so constructed that the body has a clearance at the front end more than 30 inches from the ground when empty, unless the front end is equipped with bumpers or devices so located that (a) some part of the bumper or device must be at least 16 but not more than 30 inches above the ground with the vehicle empty; (b) the maximum distance between the closest points between the bumpers or devices, if more than 1 is used does not exceed 24 inches; (c) the maximum trans-verse distance from the widest part of the motor vehicle at the front to the bumper or device shall not exceed 18 inches; and (d) the bumpers or devices shall be substantially constructed and firmly attached.

North Carolina
The manufacturer’s specified bumper height of any passenger motor vehicle shall not be elevated or lowered more than 6 inches in the front or back of the vehicle, without prior written approval from the DMV.

North Dakota
The maximum bumper height permitted is 27 inches measured from a level ground surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper.

Ohio
The minimum bumper height is 4.5 inches in vertical height.

Maximum bumper heights are 22 inches for passenger vehicles, 26 inches for 4,500 lbs. and under GVWR, 29 inches for 4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. GVWR, and 31 inches for 7,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Oklahoma
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted. Note: Headlamps cannot be mounted at a height measured from center of the lamp no greater than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

Oregon
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted; lighting equipment must stay within minimum/maximum heights. No portion of the vehicle, except tires, can be lower than the lowest portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Pennsylvania
Modification of original vehicle bumper is legal with parameters set by state. Some part of the bumper must fall between 16 and 20 inches about the ground on passenger vehicles, and between 16 and 30 inches on multipurpose passenger vehicles and light trucks.

Rhode Island
Modification of original bumper height is illegal unless exempted (exemptions include some farm and forestry vehicles).

South Carolina
It is illegal to elevate or lower passenger vehicle more than 6 inches from the original height.

South Dakota
Modification of original bumper height is permitted.

Tennessee
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is legal with restrictions. Maximum bumper height is 22 inches on passenger vehicles, and between 14 and 31 inches on 4-wheel drive recreational vehicles.

Texas
A person may not operate on a public roadway a passenger or commercial vehicle that has been modified from its original design or weighted so that the clearance between any part of the vehicle other than the wheels and the surface of the level roadway is less than the clearance between the roadway and the lowest part of the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Utah
Bumpers must be at least 4.5 inches in height. Lift kits are permitted. Four inch tires, 4 inch lift on 100-inch+ wheel base; under 100-inch wheelbase, height is determined by formula.

Vermont
Modification of the original vehicle bumper height is illegal.

Virginia
Modification of original bumper height is permitted but must meet state standards. Bumpers must be between 14 and 22 inches in height.

Washington
A passenger vehicle may not be modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle other than the wheels has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel the tire on which is in contact with the roadway.

West Virginia
The front and rear bumper height of motor vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,000 lbs. or less must be not less than 6 inches and not more than 31 inches.

Wisconsin
Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted 4 inches above or below manufacturer’s specs.

Wyoming

The Texas section is for lowering a vehicle. A lifted vehicle has to have the factory lighting as required by the MVSS (49CFR571.108) below a certain height. Below 54" for headlights and 72" for the tail lights. Relocating the lights with aftermarket kits is not legal.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/height.htm

I doubt an overlanding rig would have problems with this, that is some serious lift!

I doubt an overlanding rig would have problems with this, that is some serious lift!
Indeed, even a Discovery's unusually high tail lights are under 5-feet stock.

I'm curious about enforcement though. Does it default to the state of titling, or could say...Utah cite me for only having a 4" tall rear bumper?

Has anyone every been question about a lift or tire size?
I've enforced the applicable laws in Texas before. For those stops the lift height was the very tip of the d-bag driver iceberg, if you catch my drift. (Think "rolling coal" and driving like a complete dick in deference to anyone else's safety).

Last edited:
Indeed, even a Discovery's unusually high tail lights are under 5-feet stock.

I'm curious about enforcement though. Does it default to the state of titling, or could say...Utah cite me for only having a 4" tall rear bumper?
That will differ from state to state. In Texas it is enforceable via traffic stops and citations, but it is also something that is checked in the yearly motor vehicle inspection that is required.

Generally speaking with a vehicle that is from out of state as long as you comply with your home state's equipment laws and comply with the MVSS you'll be ok. However that "OK" could come via contesting a citation at a later date than the traffic stop. Arguing any of these points with an officer during a traffic stop generally won't go well.

During my time as full time law enforcement I spent much of it as a motorcop, so traffic and traffic safety were my primary task. My city limits were less than a mile from Texas A&M so we had a LOT of out of state vehicles coming through. The only time I would stop an out of state registered vehicle for an equipment violation was if it was something dangerous or a blatant violation of the MVSS. The most common being illegal lighting in the form of tinted lighting (which besides being stupid is horrendously dangerous) or wrong colored forward facing lights (usually halo modified lights with red or blue halos, which are colors reserved exclusively for emergency vehicles). A close runner up for stops were tires worn past 2/32" which is an obvious safety issue and easy to see when on a motorcycle in traffic stopped for a red signal.

Having lived in numerous states as an Air Force brat, and later in the Navy myself, I'm always amazed that CA does not have an annual vehicle inspection as most other states do. The cars I see roll through my dealership from time to time are accidents looking for a place to happen. Worn tires are the biggest culprit. We refer to them as redneck racing slicks.

I like ga is listed some Gestapo state, I don't think I have every seen these enforced. Unless you just really made one mad.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Like most laws. They are there to slap you with if you're doing something stupid
Act like a fool and you get noticed. My best guess is around 10,000 traffic stops for my previous career, the majority of which was spent as a motorcop and without fail if you acted a fool you got noticed. I started calling them "douchebag diesel tuners" because they got noticed blowing black smoke, having illegal (and dangerous) lighting, no mufflers...there's got to be a company selling a kit that includes a F-uped Ram 2500 on 4" tall lift blocks and it all comes with a flat brimmed hat and white framed Oakleys.

Ok, that's a joke, but the reality is I agree with Oscar in that if you do something stupid you'll tend to get noticed much quicker.

Back
Top Bottom