Stalin's Dead Road

One of the photo sites I read had a very interesting article. A New Zealand photographer explored a long abandoned railroad project in Siberia. The kind of trip a lot of us wish we could take.

Great pictures, great historical story.

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/09/the-remains-of-stalins-dead-road/

Oh, and here's a picture of the kind of truck you need to explore someplace like that:

siberia.jpg

Man, what an interesting read. Amos Chapple has a real knack for powerful, thought-provoking images and story. Man's inhumanity to man never ceases to amaze me.

You can see the images much larger on the Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty site linked to at the bottom.

Thanks for posting this.

Reminds me of a great book, the Long Walk by Slavomar Rawicz

Cool, looks like it will fit nicely with Amos Chapple's photo piece. I just ordered it for reading this winter.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't, but I'm drawn to stories about the gulags, concentration, and internment camps.

I grew up in Germany. One of the places we lived was in Dachau in the 50's, so not awful long after WWII. We lived in a huge, high-ceilinged duplex that the Nazis had used for living quarters during the war. There were exercise rings in the ceiling of the dining room, which the soldiers had used as their workout room.

It was quite an odd, and powerful, environment to experience as a kid, living so close to where over 30,000 people had died and where over 30,000 people were still imprisoned at the end of the war. The US Army hired a number of the former prisoners and kept them on for years. One was the groundskeeper where we lived. I remember him as tall, gaunt, and almost regal in his quiet way. He always wore a boiled wool vest and a driver's cap.

He would gather us kids sometimes and chaperone us on hikes through the woods around our homes. We thought of it as the Black Forest, deep and dark, and made up stories about all kinds of things. On one walk, he took us back through the woods to a clearing with a recently abandoned rail building, an old train station. He stood at the edge of the clearing, silent and watching as we ran about the platform and building. It's one of the clearest memories I have from four years in Germany.

I didn't realize until I was much older and back in the States that it must've been a place where thousands of people were off-loaded from rail cars and marched to the camp and that he must've been awash in memories.

Every time I see a piece like the one @Optimistic Paranoid linked, I flash back to those times as a kid in Europe.

Memories are powerful things.

One of the photo sites I read had a very interesting article. A New Zealand photographer explored a long abandoned railroad project in Siberia. The kind of trip a lot of us wish we could take.

Great pictures, great historical story.

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/09/the-remains-of-stalins-dead-road/

Oh, and here's a picture of the kind of truck you need to explore someplace like that:

View attachment 41447
Nice find... I find the history of post-WWII Soviet Russia very intriguing and mysterious since there is so much wee still don't know from behind the "Iron Curtain". How a nation that survived the horror of WWII could continue to bear a burden of sacrifice and abuse by it's government is mind boggling and makes me grateful to have had the genuine good fortune of being born in the United States. It also serves as a reminder that liberty is a precious commodity if not carefully guarded by every citizen.

A movie that chronicles that period well, although unintentionally, is "Child 44" (2015). The story is about a disgraced member of the Russian military police investigating a series of child murders during the Stalin-era Soviet Union of 1952. It has an excellent "feel" to it and the sets/scenes give a sense of hopelessness and despair. Starring Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, and Noomi Rapace.

I've always been intrigued with history, I read a first person account about Auschwitz when I was in high school. I tried to do a book report about it that had to be presented to the rest of the class. My instructor excused me from the oral presentation due to the graphic descriptions of the horrors of a concentration camp.

Back
Top Bottom