Spring camping in Toroweap/Tuweap

Brushogger

Adventurist
We camped there in the summer of 2014 and loved it. We are wanting to return this upcoming March in the 12-23rd time frame. I've tried calling the ranger station to ask questions, but keep getting a busy signal, so I figured I'd check here. The North Rim is closed to vehicle camping (per the NPS wesite) until May 15. Does anyone know if this includes Toroweap? Also, the site says no vehicles allowed over 22' long, and our Sportsmobile EB is 24'. Since we've been there before, I know we can get it in and out with absolutely no problems as it's 4wd and has plenty of ground clearance. I also know other SMB's camp there. Do they actually measure the vehicles, or just eyeball them and say "yea" or "nay". When camping there before, one of our camp neighbors brought in a large lifted pop up camper with his Jeep Cherokee. The whole thing was much longer than 22' and he had no problems. Thanks for any advice.

It does NOT include Toroweap. We went very early May, and it was a non-issue, but she did mention that several others were closed until the 15th of May.

We stopped and paid for everything at the Pipe Spring National Monument office.

Some folks had a FUSO out there when we went, probably larger than your sportsmobile. No one at the office inspected our vehicle. There is a gatekeeper who will know you're coming and meet you about 2 miles before the end of the trail, and he might be the guy to check things over, but like I said, the FUSO made it through.

It’s on guys!!! Got this reply today.

Alan,
The Tuweep campground never closes and depending on road conditions, you can make the decision to go in there. It does call for high clearance or 4X4 rides. Some people can make it in their smaller rides as long as they have the clearance. It is up to you with these vans, and we don't stop you from going in there. You can apply for the Tuweep ahead of time or you can stop at the Pipe Springs National Monument, too to get your permits.
Best,
Mindy

Backcountry Permit Office
Grand Canyon National Park”

Still on my bucket list. We tried last year, but were stormed out. The Rangers highly recommended that we didn't go down. Maybe next year with the Jeep. Thanks for the info.

I am camping @ Tuweep next weekend.. Its open all year as long as the roads are passable.. Day use is restricted to daylight hours. Camping requires a permit.. You fill out the .pdf print and fax it to the office.. fairly in expensive and you can apply up to 6 months in advance... 9 camp sites and a group site.. super clean bathrooms...

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Every thing you need to know is in the link...

Back
Top Bottom