Sony A6300

Luke

Adventurist
The more I've been getting into mountain and rock climbing, the more I've been getting into landscape photography. My LG V30 has done absolute wonders for a cellphone camera; with a 16 MP camera and a 135 degree wide angle lens. However, I've been very anxiously waiting to purchase a 'real camera,' and that time is hastily approaching.

After great deal of research, I believe I've landed on the Sony A6300. It's in my price range, it's mirrorless (which means less wight to carry backpacking), it's weather sealed, it has a quick auto focus almost comparable to DSLRs in the same price range, and has a plethora of other features and functions, including 4K video capturing capabilities up to 128 FPS.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this camera, or any other suggestions in the same price range.

Last edited:
IMG_4137.jpg

I just recently picked up the Sony a6500 after a lot of research myself. And sold my Canon Rebel T5i which was a few years old now.

I would seriously consider the a6500 - The big difference is it's a bit newer than the a6300 and offers amazingly good in body image stabilization. Plus you can pair that with a lens that also has stabilization and it gets really smooth video just from your hand. The 4K filming is also AMAZEBALLS.

The autofocus is mind-blowingly good. I have kids, they're always moving around, this thing is SUPER FAST. So when you're taking shots on the fly or photos, it's always really quick to focus on a face. I love that feature.

So, all I bought so far was the 18-105 lens for now. I plan on a few primes lens later, but I just wanted to try it out and get a feel for this camera.

So far I have ZERO regrets. The image quality is already significantly better than my Canon Rebel T5i. The screen brightness could be better, but I can live with it. It's a lot smaller and lighter too. But the body is made of metal, so it feels good and not plasticy or cheap like the Canon.

Added bonus, lots and lots of youtube videos about settings and tutorials on those two cameras, the a6300 & a6500. Which have been very useful.

So not for self-promotion here, but my first VLOG I filmed all on the DJI Osmo+ which is a cool rig in and of itself, but my second vlog here was shot entirely with the Sony a6500 and my Mavic for drone shots, but the quality... I've just been amazed out how easy it was to get professional-looking results with this camera. I'm in love with it.

I think you will be too with whichever one fits your budget.

I picked up a Sony a6000 in 2015. Just did a software update to do time lapse. Great camera that does everything I need.

Just FYI. Nikon and Olympus outsource their sensors from Sony.

The Sony A6500 is good enough for Chris Burkard, which should tell you something. He has gotten some really impressive shots from his Sony A6500, and its lightweight form factor is why he uses it over any other gear he has for some shots. I looked into them pretty seriously when I was making the switch to mirrorless, but I didn't like Sony's menu structure. I ended up getting a Fuji X-T1 because I like the external dials, and few other things.

Really, the best camera is the one you have on you, and the lightweight nature of a mirrorless means it's so much easier to carry all the time.

View attachment 35361

I just recently picked up the Sony a6500 after a lot of research myself. And sold my Canon Rebel T5i which was a few years old now.

I would seriously consider the a6500 - The big difference is it's a bit newer than the a6300 and offers amazingly good in body image stabilization. Plus you can pair that with a lens that also has stabilization and it gets really smooth video just from your hand. The 4K filming is also AMAZEBALLS.

The autofocus is mind-blowingly good. I have kids, they're always moving around, this thing is SUPER FAST. So when you're taking shots on the fly or photos, it's always really quick to focus on a face. I love that feature.

So, all I bought so far was the 18-105 lens for now. I plan on a few primes lens later, but I just wanted to try it out and get a feel for this camera.

So far I have ZERO regrets. The image quality is already significantly better than my Canon Rebel T5i. The screen brightness could be better, but I can live with it. It's a lot smaller and lighter too. But the body is made of metal, so it feels good and not plasticy or cheap like the Canon.

Added bonus, lots and lots of youtube videos about settings and tutorials on those two cameras, the a6300 & a6500. Which have been very useful.

So not for self-promotion here, but my first VLOG I filmed all on the DJI Osmo+ which is a cool rig in and of itself, but my second vlog here was shot entirely with the Sony a6500 and my Mavic for drone shots, but the quality... I've just been amazed out how easy it was to get professional-looking results with this camera. I'm in love with it.

I think you will be too with whichever one fits your budget.

The Sony A6500 is good enough for Chris Burkard, which should tell you something. He has gotten some really impressive shots from his Sony A6500, and its lightweight form factor is why he uses it over any other gear he has for some shots. I looked into them pretty seriously when I was making the switch to mirrorless, but I didn't like Sony's menu structure. I ended up getting a Fuji X-T1 because I like the external dials, and few other things.

Really, the best camera is the one you have on you, and the lightweight nature of a mirrorless means it's so much easier to carry all the time.

I really like the a6500 as well, it's just slightly out of my budget for now. I think I may just have to postpone purchasing something until I have enough money for the better camera, especially since this is something I plan on taking with me as I begin to get into climbing tougher mountains. I want to be able to capture it in higher detail, and the a6500 really isn't too much more than the a6300. Probably worth waiting a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom