Solar panels DEAD

Maxcustody

Adventurist
I apologize if this is not in the correct spot. I updated the thread on my Hallmark Camper with this info, but figured I would throw this up as well to get some opinions. My theory is they just died, no idea why, no damage, they have been working perfectly since 8/2017. Maybe I just got a bad set, or maybe the High Desert sun is too sunny for my panels. :D

2- Zamp Flexible 100 Watt panels each
ZS 30A Zamp solar controller.

All installed at the Hallmark factory and I did not change or add anything...........

We have been enjoying the camper and went to Big Bear 2 weeks ago and everything worked perfectly. However, this past weekend while parked and nothing changing, no damage, etc. the solar stopped charging and showing anything on the solar controller. Power light not lit, no charging, nothing, Nada.........well I called Zamp on Monday and did the troubleshooting and no idea why, but both panels are DEAD? I measured current at the panels and the big goose egg, 0 volts. Good thing it is under warranty, so I will be replacing the panels. Now my way of thinking is more is always better, right..........more power, more power.

Now the down side, kinda........ Under warranty, they will replace what I have and not upgrade, so I purchased 2 new 170 watt panels giving me 140 more than I had. I will then send the 100 watt panels back and the will send me new ones and I will sell them to recoup my money..........also since Hallmark is unique and I do not trust anyone messing with the fiberglass roof installing the new panels, I have an appointment on November 16th in Colorado for them to take care of me.

That sucks. No damn good reason an expensive panel should die that young. Where is “Zamp” making their panels? China? Germany? USA?

That’s bad for their rep in my book.

That sucks. No damn good reason an expensive panel should die that young. Where is “Zamp” making their panels? China? Germany? USA?

That’s bad for their rep in my book.

Supposed to be Bend Oregon..........New panels will have a 25 year warranty.

Panels don’t die, they slowly lose effectiveness. My guess is the wiring is loose at the junction box that connects all the cells. Unfortunately this is not easily servicible as the junctions are usually sealed in a polymer. Make sure the wiring from the panels isn’t catching wind as you drive and placing extra tension on the connectors.

Yeah that’s pretty uncommon. I don’t have any experience with their flexible panels but the glass panels are bulletproof (figuratively speaking) and made in the USA. I’ve personally installed hundreds with zero failures. For a demo, they sit the panels on the ground and stand on them. The glass will flex nearly to the ground without breaking. They have awesome customer support so you should be fine in the end. Would be curious to hear the outcome though.

Panels don’t die, they slowly lose effectiveness. My guess is the wiring is loose at the junction box that connects all the cells. Unfortunately this is not easily servicible as the junctions are usually sealed in a polymer. Make sure the wiring from the panels isn’t catching wind as you drive and placing extra tension on the connectors.

Thanks Andy, that is good info on the wires. I will ensure the new ones don't have any issues........

Yeah that’s pretty uncommon. I don’t have any experience with their flexible panels but the glass panels are bulletproof (figuratively speaking) and made in the USA. I’ve personally installed hundreds with zero failures. For a demo, they sit the panels on the ground and stand on them. The glass will flex nearly to the ground without breaking. They have awesome customer support so you should be fine in the end. Would be curious to hear the outcome though.

I was thinking the same thing, pretty weird that after 15 months they are dead. However, like you said they are taking care of it and going to send out new panels after they test these and find they are defective. The only negative is they need to receive the panels first find out they are defective then they will send new ones under the warranty. This really does not help me out on the front end. I live in California, Hallmark is in Colorado............I have to drive to Colorado for Hallmark to remove the panels, I can't hang out for weeks waiting on shipping, testing, and getting new panels back to get installed.

Everything is good to go................just returned from Colorado and I now have 340 watts of POWER! The install looks awesome. Very happy with how they mounted everything, They made some custom brackets to hold both panels and used the existing tracks I had installed previously by Hallmark. Bill, Matt and Andy are a class act, so glad I made the decision to go back to them...............

IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG

Back
Top Bottom