Solar Panel Mounting Question

I'm wondering if I can mount a couple of solar panels over the cab of my truck using a bar system like Yakima, Thule or Rhino Rack? I'm concerned about wind lift at highway speeds and wondering if any of those systems can handle it. Assuming wind lift is real and not just a rumor. Anybody here know of it being done successfully? Or aware of any spectacular failures? Thanks.

Lots of aerodynamic variables, but panels are commonly mounted on vehicle roofs. The tilt brackets sold generally for RVs lift them several inches above the surface similar to the yakima rail height.

I just mounted a panel this week but haven't done a road test as I am still cleaning up some wiring.

Yes, you can. Wind management will be something to consider for noise, even if lift isn't a factor. A simple fairing made of plastic, ABS, etc. will usually cure any issues.

At one point I had a panel mounted on crossbars on the forward area of my roof:
IMG_20160521_100755.jpg

I added the fairing right after mounting because of the aforementioned wind noise. One note here: My fairing was made by just putting a stainless hinge on a piece of ABS and letting the other end flop down onto my fiberglass pop-top roof. This movement did cause some abrasion in that spot, so either I should have added some clear 3M protective tape to the area, or rigidly mounted the fairing up a bit so it didn't rub.

I have since moved the solar panel to the rear of the roof (because of the physics involved with the pop-top), but it is still mounted to cross bars:
IMG_20190825_140950.jpg

I've mounted panels a few different ways, but I always prefer a method that makes it easy to remove the panel for optimal sun placement. So rather than mounting the panel directly, I always make an outer frame from either C-channel or angle aluminum. The frame hard-mounts to the roof bars and the panel slides out on plastic runners and can be locked in place. Here's a mid-construction shot of my latest frame
IMG_20190817_165854.jpg

The long sides are 1.5" angle, the ends are 2" C-channel with some shims. One and is fixed, the other hinged so when I close the frame it grabs the panel on top and bottom making it physically secure and giving me a place to put a padlock:
IMG_20190825_134509.jpg

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I use crossbars made by Surco. They're steel bars with an extruded profile that gives them T-slots on top and bottom. I had Yakima bars in the past and I find the Surco bars much easier to build mounts for because I can just slide 1/4-20 T-nuts into the slot and drop a bolt anywhere I need to. Think of it like a single-bar version of the flexibility of a T-slot roof rack. With solid round or square bars, you can sort make it work with the wrap-arounds, but you have to figure an offset and then you have a piece of plastic in the mix (or you have to find/make a metal "wraparound" equivalent).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom