So where do you go when you have to go?

Poo Tickets,..... Get your Poo Tickets,... Get your Poo Tickets.....Poo Tickets Please? Never leave home without them!:keyboard

SoCal seems to be under almost constant fire danger. Burning poo tickets is not advised.
#NeverSetPooFires
#DontBurnPoo
#OnlyYouCanPreventForestFires
#DontPissOffSmokey

Last edited:
I guess I havent experienced that level of use. That would be a problem, though in most areas of more backcountry type I've been in, there isnt the number of people to cause that level of problem.

I looked at the Treadlightly site, they recommend catholes when other facilities arent available, as does the National Parks site.

The comments about population from the post I quoted may be an issue in some places. I havent been to them though, as well as most people are quite happy to use the developed facilities available around the most visited areas and attractions.

Consider yourself blessed Jeremiah Johnson... :D The proximity of urban centers to National Parks and their increasing popularity in the face of reduced international travel and decreased discretionary spending has dramatically increased the population burden on our National and State Park systems over the last decade. Add to that decreased Park operating budgets and you have an even greater challenge to keep our parks hygienically safe.

But it is nice to know there's till plenty of room in your neck of the woods where I man can drop trou and still take a good 'ol Class I download with pride. 'Murica! :flag

...I looked at the Treadlightly site, they recommend catholes when other facilities arent available, as does the National Parks site...

I think the idea is that if you are traveling by vehicle AND practicing TreadLightly then you would be bringing 'facilities' with you. Backpacking is a totally different ballgame.

5 gal bucket, seat, wagbag is current set up. Various enclosures. Working on a new idea for shelter mounted to side of truck. Will be looking into upgrading to 6 gal. and real seat. Oh, and I keep a layer of cat litter in the bottom of the bucket for ballast and absorption if need be.

Today I got to try SITTING on a Luggable Loo and a Thetford. I also saw a PETT, which looked too short and I think I would crush it when plopping down to evacuate.:) Both the Loo and the Thetford had very small toilet seats. I'm a big human. I may be leaning (pun intended) towards a 5 gallon with a real toilet seat/Gamma Seal lid combo. It'd be the cheapest and larger opening, with a way to seal the contents of the commode if need be. The attached metal wire handle would make a nice TP hanger too. Now for the magazine rack....for the latest Overland Journal, OutDoorX4 and if I run out of TP, there's always the REI catalogue and S.Club calendars.....
This has been an informative thread.

Today I got to try SITTING on a Luggable Loo and a Thetford. I also saw a PETT, which looked too short and I think I would crush it when plopping down to evacuate.:) Both the Loo and the Thetford had very small toilet seats. I'm a big human. I may be leaning (pun intended) towards a 5 gallon with a real toilet seat/Gamma Seal lid combo. It'd be the cheapest and larger opening, with a way to seal the contents of the commode if need be. The attached metal wire handle would make a nice TP hanger too. Now for the magazine rack....for the latest Overland Journal, OutDoorX4 and if I run out of TP, there's always the REI catalogue and S.Club calendars.....
I like the way you think about Rei and Sierra club.... :)

Trust me Dan, go for the 6 gallon (taller) Cabela bucket. The extra inches in height will have not only your bowels praising your decision but your knees as well.

I'm a large human too Dan. The Thetford model we have is the exact same height seat as your standard house toilet. Same. Height.

Having done wag bags for years and now with a Thetford cassette toilet I'll never go back to wag bags unless deployed overseas. The Thetford is so much less fuss, just empty it at the end of the trip! :thumbsup

I'm a large human too Dan. The Thetford model we have is the exact same height seat as your standard house toilet. Same. Height.

Having done wag bags for years and now with a Thetford cassette toilet I'll never go back to wag bags unless deployed overseas. The Thetford is so much less fuss, just empty it at the end of the trip! :thumbsup

It it wasn't the height that concerned me but the opening. Me butts too big fer dat hole. I'd be rockin fard an bacard to go both 1 an 2

I gotta take this thread with a grain of salt. When I am off in the "hinterlands", there are no crowds. I might hike the entire day and not see another person. Where I set up camp there is nobody else around. By all means get well of the trail, use biodegradable TP, dig that hole deep and bury well. Stay far away from water sources. If you are in a place where people using catholes and burying their stuff presents a sanitation hazard, you are not in the "hinterlands". You are at an established campsite or your trail is a pedestrian freeway.

Back
Top Bottom