So where do you go when you have to go?

I had to give this some serious thought, since the last few outdoor campers I had were self contain (my Nash 5th wheel & Lance truck camper). Going to an Overland Trailer the convenience of actual self contained for the purpose of 10-100 like I said I had to do some serious thought for the wife. The privacy 2 room tent wasn't a problem since we both liked the brand we chosen. The toilet was the issue...I'm a good size feller 6'2" 256lbs & at the age I am I notice my momentum isn't what it once was in my younger days. Toilet height is what my main objective & portability is another need I was wanting. After 2 months of search I ended up purchasing the Ironman Bush Toilet. The height is taller than a standard home toilet by a few inches, compact, foldable makes it easy for storage for my trailer. Plus the tip on the TP storage was great. They mention how to remove the center core & place the roll in a qt. size zip loc bag for protecting the TP & you pull the TP from the center much like Kleenex. Them Aussie's are pretty smart overlanders.

View attachment 35894
You could have saved yourself 2 months of searching the internet and a "crap"-ton of work by asking here!

Former military members with more spartan experiences have been doing the zip-loc bag trick for decades to enjoy the luxury of 2-ply "tango papa". PVC buckets come in more than "Home Depot" 5 gallon sizes... like the 6 gallon version that this 6 foot guy finds perfectly sized, and a couple inches taller than the standard household commode; standard WAG bags fit it as well as camp toilet seats. Although not collapsible, the pail serves as a hasty camp stool; propane cylinder concealed/protective storage; bulk storage container; NFS mandated water bucket for fire suppression; and amusing show & tell discussions around the campfire as you describe what someone is sitting on. :D

It's a well-known fact that many of our members have laid down more crap outdoors than a Florida pipeline crew has pipe. :eek:

I have a home depot crapper for emergency cases with ice storms or power outages. I need a crapper that could be a space saver for my trailer, 5gal bucket isn't that for me in this case. My space is limited for the size trailer I built. Tad under 6ft long, 40" wide, 22" high. Between kitchen tot, my miscellaneous tot, 21 gals water (3 7gal jugs), privacy tent, 22qt. Engel fridg\freez, small BBQ pit, 2 camp chairs, 200watt suit case solar panel, folding table, camp stove & few other items there aint the room.

I have a home depot crapper for emergency cases with ice storms or power outages. I need a crapper that could be a space saver for my trailer, 5gal bucket isn't that for me in this case. My space is limited for the size trailer I built. Tad under 6ft long, 40" wide, 22" high. Between kitchen tot, my miscellaneous tot, 21 gals water (3 7gal jugs), privacy tent, 22qt. Engel fridg\freez, small BBQ pit, 2 camp chairs, 200watt suit case solar panel, folding table, camp stove & few other items there aint the room.

You could multi-use the 5 gallon bucket. Said crapper, trash can, clothes washer, storage bin.....get a square one. It'll fit better in the corner. Name it Bucky the Bucket. Paint it to resemble your favorite UFO. Fly to the stars Sitting on your very own Tardis...
I thought this Carpy old story could use a stool softener...do you have a padded seat on your luggable poo loo?
Happy New Year!

Makes sense.

BTDT with Wag Bags and buckets.

Thetford still gets my vote. Cassette convenience. Idiot proof. Bomb proof :D

https://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/porta-potti-qube-365/

Agreed. IMHO, anyone who turns up their nose at the idea of having to empty a cassette simply hasn't tried it. It is one of the easiest and surprisingly un-messy bits of post-trip work that I have to do.

When I got my first Thetford (135) years ago, the first few times I emptied the unit I looked like Darth Vader or Doctor Moreau - full elbow-length rubber gloves, smock, face-mask, etc. After a couple of trips I realized I was being silly. There was never *any* splash or mess. Simply unscrew the cap, tilt the nozzle out, and pour into any standard toilet. Opening the provided "anti-glug" vent means there's a smooth pour with no splashing. Re-cap the nozzle, add some water and slosh things around, and pour one more time. Done. Add another batch of the deodorant/enzyme and swish, and reload everything back into the rig for the next trip. Whole process takes <10 mins.

Now that the kiddo is older we take longer trips which also means being able to dump in any toilet while on the road (gas stations, etc.) is HUUUGE. Thus, I have no reservations about using the Thetford anytime it's needed. Imagine having to divert your trip to find an RV dump station or deal with WAG bags on the side of a trail when you're not deep in the wilderness.

Agreed. IMHO, anyone who turns up their nose at the idea of having to empty a cassette simply hasn't tried it. It is one of the easiest and surprisingly un-messy bits of post-trip work that I have to do.

Now that the kiddo is older we take longer trips which also means being able to dump in any toilet while on the road (gas stations, etc.) is HUUUGE. Thus, I have no reservations about using the Thetford anytime it's needed. Imagine having to divert your trip to find an RV dump station or deal with WAG bags on the side of a trail when you're not deep in the wilderness.

While I have never used a Thetford, I do use WAG bags. They are easy, non-messy and simple to use anytime, anywhere.

What is your objection to them?

While I have never used a Thetford, I do use WAG bags. They are easy, non-messy and simple to use anytime, anywhere.

My objection is cost. You have to keep buying them as you use them.

A Thetford with a cassette is a one time cost outlay. Other than the occasional blue enzyme (which is quite inexpensive if you buy the bigger size vice the small bottles), there's nothing else to buy.

I've also seen an episode or two of "Wag Bags Gone Bad"... some folks carry a separate Trasharoo (a Trashapoo) just for this eventuality.

They've been known to burst when it's hot on the trail, leaving their owner with a... situation.

YMMV

A Thetford with a cassette is a one time cost outlay. Other than the occasional blue enzyme (which is quite inexpensive if you buy the bigger size vice the small bottles), there's nothing else to buy.

I've also seen an episode or two of "Wag Bags Gone Bad"... some folks carry a separate Trasharoo (a Trashapoo) just for this eventuality.

They've been known to burst when it's hot on the trail, leaving their owner with a... situation.

YMMV

Ha, beat me to it.

YMMV

Can't argue that. They are a little pricey.

Fortunately, I have never had a situation. However, I have been in the desert with some filled WAG bags in the back of the truck, and noticed the aroma seeped out of double-bagged trash.

Primary objection is the "process" and trying to deal with it for my 8 year old daughter. Potty stops still happen with less warning than I'd like, and there's never a way to tell whether it'll be a "onesie" or a "twosie". On more than one occasion I've been glad to have the Thetford that's ready to use with only sliding it out of the cabinet. No setup, and nothing to deal with if we need to use it "en route".

Wag bags can work ok for multiple users if you're stationary, but I've never seen a way to "lightly use" a bag and then continue on your way and keep using it again later.

In this case both have their pro's & con's. We looked at the Thetford price didn't scare me off, it was the maintenance after the use. I've owned a few self contained RV's & black water tanks require a thorough cleaning after use. This reminded me of the task I had to do to make sure my black water tank stayed fresh & not rank. Size was another for me because of the limited space I have in my trailer. That's were a 5 or 6 gal bucket toilet wouldn't work for me also. This were I saw many portable fold up toilet's made from plastic & the height for me being a good size feller was not going to work for me. I wanted something that you can sit easily (same toilet height as home) & not struggle getting off but yet functional & compact. Some of these portables wasn't offering this, too short in height, didn't seem built sturdy enough for a big feller like myself.

Like I mention above the Ironman 4X4 Bush Toilet was what we settled on. Whether you haul it out or how ever you depose of it, its all messy & blah.

Toilet_40.jpg

Primary objection is the "process" and trying to deal with it for my 8 year old daughter. Potty stops still happen with less warning than I'd like, and there's never a way to tell whether it'll be a "onesie" or a "twosie". On more than one occasion I've been glad to have the Thetford that's ready to use with only sliding it out of the cabinet. No setup, and nothing to deal with if we need to use it "en route".

Wag bags can work ok for multiple users if you're stationary, but I've never seen a way to "lightly use" a bag and then continue on your way and keep using it again later.

Makes sense.

I don't think you can "lightly use" a WAG bag without creating a "situation" for yourself.

There's always this Army version that I grew up with... folding, collapsing in on itself so it's easy to pack!

USA_Deep_Pit_Latrine.jpg

It's odd, but I can't seem to find any of these in surplus stores... what's up with that? o_O

Then there's always this option available to diesel users like @Dave...

Picture047a_resize.jpg

Nothing quite like the aroma of burning DF2 and feces... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom