Snowpeak and IGT Discussion

VATACO

Adventurist
As a Snowpeak addict I'm always looking for my next fix. Currently I have the Baja burner, single grill, cook set, insulated mugs, flatware, chopsticks, plates and bowls. Up until now that has proven to be a sufficient setup, but I have moved from my tent to a bed platform and cooking on the tailgate next to my sleeping quarters no longer seems wise given smells and morsels that are left after dinner.

I'm now getting ready to pull the trigger on an IGT table and possibly and extension table with height adjuster to provide not only a place to cook, but a place to eat as well.

Anyone here with snowpeak setups willing to post pictures or give input would be appreciated.

I love Snow Peak

Snow Peak Iron Grill Table and Accessories
igt-41.jpg
The IGT system from Snow Peak is very appealing to me for many reasons - esthetics, quality, and modularity. There are so many ways that you can configure it to suit your needs, and you can bring more or less depending on the type of trip you have planned. If I'm solo I usually just bring the Baja Burner. If I'm with a larger group and plan on entertaining my whole IGT set comes with me. I've even used the IGT at home on the patio - it's that nice.

Pictured below is my Snow Peak setup, the entire 4 section IGT ensemble fits into the canvas carrying case and stores flat. I carry the Baja Burner and BBQ Box in a Pelican 1550 case for protection.

IMG_0699.jpg

Baja Burner LI

This was my first purchase from Snow Peak - I was blown away by the quality and crafstmanship of this stove which resulted in a pretty serious Snow Peak addiction. Fueled by iso-butane canisters (or propane with an adapter like the one from Kovea) this little stove weighs 6.2 lbs and produces 12,000 BTU's. It is a perfect choice for cold weather performance. High quality components are made entirely from stainless steel, aluminum and brass. Big enough to handle a full size 14 inch frying pan from home, the slim design allows for easy pack-ability, and it can be used with the legs deployed as shown below or with the legs folded up for integration into the Iron Grill Table system (consumes one unit space in four unit IGT).
GS-4001.jpg

baja-burner-inside.jpg

Snow Peak Baja Burner in use inside the camper during inclement weather

Snow Peak Single BBQ Box

For grilling in camp I chose the Snow Peak single BBQ box. Beautifully constructed and super simple, it is made entirely of stainless steel, weighs only 11 lbs, uses common charcoal and features an adjustable three-position charcoal bed. Like the Baja Burner, it may be used by itself or as part of the Iron Grill Table System.
CK-130.jpg

107_37832.jpg

Baja Burner and single BBQ Box inside Pelican 1550 case

The Real Deal: Snow Peak Titanium Double Wall 600 Mug

This one piece of kit epitomizes the entire Snow Peak line - light, tough, and good looking. Snow Peaks largest Titanium Double Mug holds 20 oz and does a superb job of insulating your precious beverage against the environment making it perfect for cold or hot drinks while outdoors. Please note that any double wall cup should not be used over direct heat or fire.

sp-600-mug.jpg

accessories_2.gif

Note: When I was in my cooking heyday working with Overland Gourmet it was all about mesquite charcoal - real wood. No smell, it's the little "briquettes" made in some factory that reek of hydrocarbons. It was a tradeoff though, the wood charcoal "pops" and is quite messy with an uneven heat. The briquets are less volatile and provide a much more even heat.

Nowadays, I'm all about propane.
IMG_1163.jpg

I had this Perfect Flame sitting in the garage almost forgotten... and it was a near perfect fit.
IMG_1156.jpg

Measurement front to back
IMG_1159.jpg

The new cutting board from OVG
IMG_1158.jpg

Propane. No muss, no fuss. Fire when you need it and ubiquitous in North America. I'll source a hose at some point so I can run this grill off of my larger 10lb propane cylinder on the truck.
IMG_1152.jpg

I just added a few more bits to my Snow Peak collection:

Snow Peak Multi Containers in S, M and L sizes for coffee gear and kitchen utensil organization

spmc.jpg

Large Pack and Carry Fireplace. This has been on my list for some time and was finally in stock. Folds flat with a canvass carry bag for easy transport.

spfp.jpg

ST-031.jpg

I got bit by a Snow peak bug a while ago and still have the virus in my system. For some odd reason I have been looking at the IGT and a few other item to go with it. Gona pull the trigger soon.

I could give you my opinion on Snow Peak after being a Professional Chef for 44 years, but you won't like it...
I used their products last Year at a Rally [was hired by] and it was a disaster in "real life cooking".
Since the 7 years on the road full time I have found much better products, not as "glamorous" :) of course, yet with much better results.
If you want to know ask and I will write about it only for newcomers to not fall into only "what is in a name". I am not in a habit [or enjoy] putting down a product, yet, the reality sometimes is good to enunciate.

I could give you my opinion on Snow Peak after being a Professional Chef for 44 years, but you won't like it...
I used their products last Year at a Rally [was hired by] and it was a disaster in "real life cooking".
Since the 7 years on the road full time I have found much better products, not as "glamorous" :) of course, yet with much better results.
If you want to know ask and I will write about it only for newcomers to not fall into only "what is in a name". I am not in a habit [or enjoy] putting down a product, yet, the reality sometimes is good to enunciate.

C'mon Ara, this is AAV - you can speak freely here. While I may be considered a Snow Peak fanboy by some, I've had my share of gripes with them over the years (see my adaptation of a mundane propane grill into the IGT posted earlier in this thread). I'll be the first to agree that not all of their stuff is for everyone, we'd love to hear your professional opinion and experiences.
:coffee

I can say they make GREAT lightweight camping equipment for backpacking...that is where my snowpeak collection ends though haha

I see the thread is titled Snow Peak Discussion... C'mon chef, let her rip!! :)

Thank You Dave. I appreciate that. I don't frequent many Forums because of their politics and the "attacks" on thoughts and experiences which one might have. Some like chocolate and some vanilla. Everyone should learn to "agree to disagree".

I must say "cosmetically" their products are very attractive. I must also add that I use my cooking gear daily at least twice. I don't like "propane/butane" bottles. They need to be disposed and their cost is prohibitive. They would never fit in my budget.
I have had 3 days of experience with 5 set ups, complete tables which had the single burner and charcoal basket [for lack of better word].
The charcoal basket did not have enough ventilation for the coals to catch on. "He" [no name needed / distributor] started using a propane torch [the Giga Power 2 way torch] to get them going as also in the meantime burned the wood and end up selling those tables at a very reduced price. The burning of the wood of course had nothing to do with Snow-Peak. While the coal started to glow the baskets warped, luckily they did not fall but kept dangling with very uneven heights regarding the heat. That was the first time when I walked away.
The burners are weak. Not enough BTU if you really want to cook and we were using those white canisters which did not last long. "He" actually had to go back to town to get a couple dozen more at $7 a pop. It was a waiting game as the Rally attendees were showing up with their ingredients for myself to give them some ideas for their meal.
I use a MSR Dragon fly and also a Primus Ti5 with white fuel/fuel some times. I like at least 10,000 BTU if I am going to saute some ingredients which will end up with others as a "One~Pan" affair.
As many other Companies, I did expressed what could be changed to make it more "cooking friendly". Just looked at their website, it seems some changes have taken place but not the burner BTU or charcoal basket.
There is more, it is getting late here in Germany, will close for now.
BTW,a $39 aluminum folding table works just as well and the rest is on this page.

Thank You Dave. I appreciate that. I don't frequent many Forums because of their politics and the "attacks" on thoughts and experiences which one might have. Some like chocolate and some vanilla. Everyone should learn to "agree to disagree".

Amen.

Back
Top Bottom