Slide in Camper on Power Wagon

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
Hi all, posting here in lieu of the full size section to get more opinions.

We recently sold our travel trailer and we're going to get a longer model but the rv storage lot wants 200 plus I'm storage fees.....heck no.

So the wife and I have been contemplating a hard side truck camper. Needs to have a restroom (CFO's order) and no need to get super deep back country so a Hallmark, FWC etc is not an option. We would only be using it for fire roads, unload the camper as a basecamp and explore.

We like the Lance 825, have a deposit on one but then I got to thinking about the payload limitations of my 2018 Power Wagon. The camper is 2100 lbs dry 2500 wet, which puts us well within range of a standard 2500 Ram (3800#) but 700# over the 1800# the PW is designated to have.

To help with towing and such I have Firestone Air Bags (with daystar cradles), AEV Salta rims (much higher weight capacity than stock PW rims) and 37" Toyo RT's in D range (3525 each tire). So I'm thinking that I have overcome the payload short comings of the PW. Other than possibly putting Carley 2500 progressive springs. Hopefully not a Hellwig away bar.

Over all GAWR for the front is 4750#, for the rear is 6200# less the weight of the truck 7100# leaves me with 3850#. Less the camper at max 2500# leaves me at 1350# available.

What am I missing? I know I'm essential trying to fit a square through a round hole, or at least that's what it feels like.

We were thinking truck camper as it'll fit in our driveway, easier to handle I'm towns, allows me to tow my dirt bikes, no registration, lower insurance..and so on.

There are only a handful of trailers that will fit in our driveway that we would actually buy and I would prefer not to tow anymore.

Need some helps folks, please feel free to tell me I'm nuts...or not.

• We carry our 2008 Northstar MC600 in our 2003 Tundra. I added Timbren SES bump stops instead of airbags for weight and simple helwigg add a leaf just to stiffen up the rolling on corners. Point being stiffer springs might help.
  • We use our camper set up pretty much as you describe, although a bit more toward the off road side to get to certain campsites.
  • There are pop ups with bathrooms and indoor showers. We like the open feel of the pop up compared to hard sides.
  • I am happy with our set up. The MC600 weighs more than an FWC of similar size, but has not been a concern for us.
  • Invest in quality tie downs and if you can get the power jacks at the corners.
We are unlikely to ever go back to any other kind of camper. The slide in truck camper is just too quick and easy.

If you change the springs you’ll probably lose the articulation and some of what makes the PW a PW after you drop the camper and go explore. I suspect you could get airbags to carry the load of the camper safely then deflate them to get back close to the capabilities of the stock PW. Check PW forums as I’m sure other have faced and solved this dilemma.

The challenge with bags is you need limit straps to keep the bags from over extending and tearing. (Bags on my '06b GMC 2500, love them for the adjustabilty for the load).

The challenge with bags is you need limit straps to keep the bags from over extending and tearing. (Bags on my '06b GMC 2500, love them for the adjustabilty for the load).

Not always. I had the Air Lift 5000 airbags on the Torque Wagon with Daystar cradles that allowed them full articulation without requiring straps. This same arrangement would work well on the Power Wagon (same layout IIRC).

IMG_6584.JPG

He has the daystar cradles, which is the same thing I am running. The bag is only attached to the frame, and sits in the cradle on the axle, so when you extend past the length of the bag it just floats free then settles back into the cradle on compression

I’m not well versed enough to have the solution for it, I thought Daystar had a solution but wasn’t sure/no experience with the product. Mostly just throwing the precaution out there.

Old school rule if thumb, it takes three more mods to make the first one work right!

Well the lawyer in the wife won the battle....lol....She said the risk of us getting in trouble should we cause an accident is high due to the statements in the owners manual regarding campers and the Power Wagon....nuts

Very valid argument IMO. Riding shotgun and worrying/back of her mind concerns, make a good trip not so good.

Well the lawyer in the wife won the battle....lol....She said the risk of us getting in trouble should we cause an accident is high due to the statements in the owners manual regarding campers and the Power Wagon....nuts

May be consider doing something like an AT Summit or Atlas?

We did Dave, but the RLD Shell and the EeziAwn we have is almost the same (minus interior space)..and the boss says bathroom is a must.

Looks like I'm back to a trailer....ugggg

• We carry our 2008 Northstar MC600 in our 2003 Tundra. I added Timbren SES bump stops instead of airbags for weight and simple helwigg add a leaf just to stiffen up the rolling on corners. Point being stiffer springs might help.
  • We use our camper set up pretty much as you describe, although a bit more toward the off road side to get to certain campsites.
  • There are pop ups with bathrooms and indoor showers. We like the open feel of the pop up compared to hard sides.
  • I am happy with our set up. The MC600 weighs more than an FWC of similar size, but has not been a concern for us.
  • Invest in quality tie downs and if you can get the power jacks at the corners.
We are unlikely to ever go back to any other kind of camper. The slide in truck camper is just too quick and easy.

Thanks for using our SES system on your Tundra! We hope you have been enjoying it and wish you safe travels no matter where the road takes you.

I’m not sure why you wont consider a pop-up like my Hallmark .. It literally takes 2 minutes to set up or take down, is lighter and drives easier that a hard side. We have a commode and could have had an indoor shower but didn’t want it (we have an outdoor shower).
If you do get any truck camper (particularly a hard sided one) you will most likely need a rear sway bar..

I like the Lance, I had one for years, back then 1990's. I had the hellwigs progressive springs installed on my 1990 GMC Z71 which seemed to be ok for the application then. I pulled a small 1972 Suzuki LJ20 for hunting & exploring. On my current truck 2000 GMC Z71 I have the Hellwig air bags with on board compressure & air tank when I was towing our 5th wheel. Their still on the truck & this gave me an idea. I'm going to do some research on these.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom