Sign of the Times - No Cash

Kind of the same only different. On the way home from the Vegas to Reno desert race a few years back, I was giving a guy (Dave) a ride home in my truck. He insisted we stop at Walker's Hamburger's in Walker, CA, he was buying.

We pull up in front of this old school hamburger stand, walk up to order and Dave asks if they take plastic, the guy behind the window says "no", Dave asks if there is an ATM in town..."no"...then the guy looks at us and says..."What do you guys want to eat, I have to feed you...just send me a check when you get home".

Machelle and I had cash, so we paid our bill then, but we were all shocked that the guy didn't hesitate to trust us.

BTW, the hamburgers are good, but the REAL milkshakes are even better. Ask @Garrett for a second opinion, he stopped there with us last year on our Eclipse Adventure.

One and only time I haven't paid off a CC debt was right after graduating college in '79 and had purchased a few suits and a nice dress coat for Chicago winters. I'll use CC's but always pay it off. In other words, I don't spend beyond my means.

I know what you mean about places not taking cash now tho! Chicken joint in Irvine at a local food court won't take cash...I don't eat there.

I always carry some cash, usually around $100. When travelling, quite a bit more. I don't have a debit card and have never used an ATM (or even know how!) All of my expenses go on my Amazon Visa card, and I use the points to pay down my balance. I use my only other credit card, a MasterCard opened in 1981, on occasion to keep it active. Having a zero missed payments credit card for 37 years looks great on a credit rating service (currently at 812/817.)

I took out my first credit card sometime in the mid 1970s, and only three times since have I not paid off the entire balance. Usually after Christmas.

A few years ago, when Square first was getting started, I took advantage of their offer for a free card reader. Now whenever someone wants to buy something at my garage sale or in a "I don't have enough cash right now, will you take..." situation, I can accept their credit card for payment. Yes, it costs me 2.25% (originally 1.75% if I recall correctly) but that's less than a missed sales opportunity. I recently used it to sell my RTT to a guy who lowballed me because he didn't bring enough cash. His credit card made up the difference.

Try to pay cash for everything. Anything on a card I pay off at monthly. The government loves electronic monies as they can see everything we do.
They can't easily track cash and they hate the barter system. The governments only income is tax paying citizens.

Anybody remember when the banks were telling us how using electronic transfers would speed things up and save us money? Lies of course. They still hold onto transfers as long as possible to incur every little bit of interest they can, fines for every little thing they can, some banks are charging you to use the tellers, etc. Electronic transfers just make their jobs easier and allow greater tracking of people (that they can sell off to data mining companies to make more money off of you) and allow the government to collect more taxes (ex. the new internet/interstate sales tax rules).

Back
Top Bottom