Shopping for RTT: Tepui, CVT, 23Zero

BoldAdventure

Adventurist
Any customer feedback/experiences would be welcomed from the folks here.

Wife and I have been discussing options for camping with the girls. Everything from a slide in to a tear drop. We think, that the RTT is going to best suit our intended goals for the next couple of years.

:camping

Looked at some different options, like the Maggiolina hard top, but we've come to the conclusion a hard top won't serve our family that well. We like the larger space offered by the soft shell tents.

And I want to keep our overall expenditure just at $2000 since I'm planning a budget of $6000 for the truck this year.

Right now I'm looking at the CVT Mt. Rainer Extended, although the lower vestibule won't serve us at bed height. I'm kind of cautious about CVT. I read in this forum another member had shipping problems. And over on the PW site, another member reported his leaking like crazy. But also responded that customer service was A+ and they took care of him right away.

From Tepui I was looking the Autana Sky and the XL version.

Also, I've come across 23 Zero, and their Bundaberg & the Byron. I've seen the name popup a few times in some places but know little about the brand.

As far as mounting goes, I'm planning to build something similar to this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431840037.660280.jpg

Spent a lot of time mulling over how AEV built their one off rack for the SEMA show awhile back for a Ram with the Ramboxes like I have. But I want to keep that tent below the roofline for better aero (hopefully).

Won't be buying till after May when we get done with Moab. But any feedback or opinions while shopping are appreciated.

:clang

Last edited:
With the soft tents that have a cover that needs to be removed before deployment plan on being dirty if you have traveled on dirt roads for any amount of time. The removal of the cover requires you hug up real close and if its been raining you will be muddy. The removal and installation of the tent cover is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. FWIW I have a Mombasa RTT that you can see in my profile pic.

I've been quite happy with my ARB Simpson 3. It has not had any issues in 4+ years of use. ARB customer service is great as well, I would recommend giving them a look.

The lower rack has advantages on economy but there are drawbacks depending on your use...

1: I have an early All Pro expedition rack that puts the center line of my tent right at the top of my cab. Which makes the floor when deployed right at forehead level (I'm 6'2") and have caught the tent a few times. Hurts the head less than the pride but still hurts.

2: I had to drill extra holes to make the ladder shorter so it's more vertical. The stock length ladder is designed for a roof height, so with mine being lower on the truck it made an uncomfortable climb in and out due to the odd angle of the steps.

3: If your tent has an overhang or you intend to use an annex (room under the overhang) it will be too short. You will have to duck under the overhang to climb into your tent or your annex walls will have tons of slack on the ground. Either way it's useless.

4: Your tent will be too short to add an awning to the rack. Right now this is my biggest problem with my setup.

If you decide to go with a low rack make sure that it's high enough off the ground to work for you. 1-2 MPG isn't worth making that expensive RTT useless. My setup is just low enough to annoy me sometimes but not so much I have fixed it by adding in a short spacer yet.

I just got one of the CVT Rainier Pioneer (non extended) based on the fact that they were selling off the 2016s cheaper. It will be arriving on Friday and I still need to build a rack for the shell. I will update on how it turns out.

I'm kind of cautious about CVT. I read in this forum another member had shipping problems.

I read that too...but from what I read, CVT had nothing to do with that problem.

IME (a good friend bought a CVT and annex) CVT provides an excellent product in a very competitive market. Bobby Culpepper, the companies owner is a stand up individual with whom I had personal dealings during an event that I coordniated, where he donated a Mt. Shasta tent for the raffle.

I wouldn't let a poor shipping experience of a product (and from what I read, Blue Ridge Overland handled the issue quickly, AND went after the carrier for compensation) shy you away from their quality stuff.

Well, that on here wasn't the only issue I've heard of. I heard of some quality issues elsewhere. I had a chance just recently to see one in person compared to a Smitty Built, they're almost identical, down to the stitching.

I'm really looking into the 23 Zero right now. But I might stick with a ground tent for awhile first.

If you could find a used Thule a Truck rack that raises and lowers, I'd think that'd be best. Having an annex/vestibule below the tent is a really great addition considering you can use it as a bathroom, shower room or changing room. It's also great to have a dry area below the tent when it's raining for shoes and other gear. I enjoyed my RTT when I had it but in the PNW where it rains a lot, I had to pack it away wet too many times and on one trip it rained 2.5+ weeks in the PNW along my route. Or really windy areas I've had the rain fly beating against the tent hard. So much so I climbed up top in the middle of the night and removed the whole thing. Some things to consider...

I had the unfortunate shipping experience with my CVT Mt. McKinley. Between the two trucking companies that carried it the box was destroyed, part of the frame of the tent base was bent, the rainfly ended up with a few small holes and one of the straps that secures the tent when stowed was almost severed.

All that aside I would buy a CVT again in a heartbeat. I've had the opportunity to look at tents from other manufacturers and the build quality and craftsmanship doesn't change much unless you get into some of the budget brands (looking at you Tuff Stuff RTT's). The support from both the seller I used (Blue Ridge Overland Gear) and CVT themselves was nothing short of phenomenal and is what puts CVT over the top for me. All of my issues were addressed with replacement parts and Blue Ridge Overland Gear even fought for a partial credit from the shippers and won, further enhancing the screaming deal I got on my tent.

I'm currently in the process of swapping to a bed rack and a smaller RTT on the Tacoma vs the trailer and I'll certainly be buying a CVT again (although I'll probably pick it up rather than having it shipped).

Back
Top Bottom