Thanks for all the responses. I'm aware of all the points above. As Haggis said, this eliminates most every location in the northeast. I was hoping for a magic bullet I wasn't aware of. One idea I've had when camping in a campground with electricity is to run an electric heater. Anyone tried this?

Have you looked at a Propex heater? Does not “shit where it eats” (exhaust) and could easily be configured to heat a Shiftpod with NONE of the negative side effects. Clean, dry, warm air :)

If that works you might try these reusable silica gel beads, they change color as they absorb moisture and you just bake them in the oven to reactivate them. I use them for some of my moisture-sensitive 3d printing materials. https://amzn.to/2n5WjP2

If that works you might try these reusable silica gel beads, they change color as they absorb moisture and you just bake them in the oven to reactivate them. I use them for some of my moisture-sensitive 3d printing materials. https://amzn.to/2n5WjP2

If dumped into a petroleum filter bag you can throw the entire bag into the oven and not have to deal with loose beads. Or dump them into a nomex sock if you happen to have a odd one laying about to do the same.

Last edited:
Dave how is the moisture and management of moisture in high humidity Florida?

When humidity is at 90%+, you just learn to live with it. Just like in super cold weather, breathing at night is the biggest source of condensation inside.

I think a swamp cooler would be a killer accessory for it in hot, humid weather.

The inside walls of the Shiftpod can be wiped down once you’re done with your trip, I usually set it outside in the sun for an afternoon and do this before I stow it.

IMG_20200220_181926.jpg

I notice on another thread Dave's "Torque Wagon" is sold :eek: I liked that truck a lot......I'm sure you have your reason for selling it.

Great rig. But WAY too large, especially when it's just me. Very limiting on trails especially in the Midwest and back East - like driving a garbage truck. So I sold it, downsized and could not be happier.

Great rig. But WAY too large, especially when it's just me. Very limiting on trails especially in the Midwest and back East - like driving a garbage truck. So I sold it, downsized and could not be happier.
totally under stand why you sold it, that was a sweet rig, & one I would love to have for myself.

New guy here. Retired Army and love my Shift pods. I have a Sheterpod (tan/brown version of first-gen) and a regular Mini. It's a house, not a tent. Throw camo netting over the shelter pod for more shade and to conceal anything valuable outside the tent (also has a "don't f with me I'm a crazy-vet vibe" so the netting improves security too. So easy a caveman can do it. I use LPgas in winter and a Zero Breeze 2 for AC in the summer, Dometic fridge, BAJA 700-900 LP inverter/gen, 200 whats solar panels, and 3 Goal zero 500x batteries, all in my 1998 Jeep Cherokee. I want to travel to State/National Parks and set up for a week at a time and explore. The Shiftpod website says folks in disaster zones have been living in pods for 5+ years (Mexico). I want to upgrade the Sheterpod to put a wood stove in. I found a little light titanium one that would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom