That's cool! Does it come with a floor?

It doesn't, but you can get one w/ the CLAM branded shelters. They're slightly more expensive. But to be honest, I actually hate floors. I'd rather put down a a tarp and a nice rug over dirt than use a cheap floor that I could puncture. I generally camp in the desert or places where I can put down pine boughs over the floor if I have to worry about snow or ice.

The great advantage of these ice shelters though is the ice screws that they use for anchoring. The ones that came w/ my shelter actually had a drill attachment. I'm not wasting time w/ bent pegs/stakes, I'm literally zipping them into the ground in a few seconds at each anchor.

s7_142040_imageset_01

Is some portion of the sale going to fire relief? Seems like an ill-timed promotion if not. Not trying to be a snowflake here.

Some news from Shiftpod - they are releasing an XL version (14 ft hex vice the current 12 ft hex) in 2019 as well as their inter-connecting tunnel system.

Here are links to their newest E-catalogs HERE and HERE.

View attachment 42966
Man, if they just made a 96X96X72 inch (8X8X6 feet) shelter... As it stands there's the 12, 11, and 6.

I prefer just a simple ice shelter.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-6-sided-thermal-shelter-combo

This works pretty well for winter trips since it's insulated. Plenty of windows and vents, generally a quarter the price but this time it's on sale!

If I want it to be shiny, I can get some space blankets and glue them on.

I asked Clam if their shelters are waterproof. Here's their response.

"I just followed up with our engineers. They stated that we do not advertise our ice shelters as waterproof and depending on if it is a thermal or non-thermal shelter there is a either a clear or black polyurethane coating applied on the inside of the material. We do not tape the seams of our ice shelters either so I would not say waterproof but rather water resistant."​

In my opinion it's absolutely a step above what most consider a tent to be. I have spent many a miserable night in a tent flapping in the wind or stuck confined in a small place waiting for a storm to subside. I no longer care what the weather is doing when I use my Shiftpod. They have plenty of room inside and I would feel very comfortable in one if I had to live for an extended period of time.

I can’t get over how easy it is to set up or take down, how much room it has, how weatherproof it is, or how much happier I am in it than I was in an OzTent, FlipPac or FWC.

:D

Sold.

Just clicked submit and will be in possession of an S2 soon. Thanks gents for the info and testimonials. :D

You mean 14, 12 and 6 but yes, the 8 foot diameter is exactly what I told them.

Fingers crossed

I inquired through their webmail and didn’t get much of a response. I asked if they did a 5-sided shelter if it was possible given the mechanics of the way they fold. I also asked for confirmation that such a shelter would be in the 8-9 foot range, assuming the same panel size. They didn’t answer, except to say they have their product line set until 2020 but that exciting things are coming.

I inquired through their webmail and didn’t get much of a response. I asked if they did a 5-sided shelter if it was possible given the mechanics of the way they fold. I also asked for confirmation that such a shelter would be in the 8-9 foot range, assuming the same panel size. They didn’t answer, except to say they have their product line set until 2020 but that exciting things are coming.

Yeah, I don’t blame them on being semi-secretive considering the way things are knocked off these days. If I had good ideas I’d keep it quiet too.

But I do know this, 2020 is going to amazing :spy

Back
Top Bottom