Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Yeah, it’s different. Yeah, the case is long. And yeah, it looks like it’s from NASA.

And I LOVE it. Why? Because it just WORKS.

The Shiftpod has been tested in sustained winds of 100 mph, is made from multi-layer insulated reflective material designed for desert temps, and is super fast and easy to deploy or stow. One shelter that can serve many purposes.

This thread will detail my experiences with the Shiftpod2 and the Mini as these will be integral to my fast and light, LESS GEAR AND MORE GO Jeep JL Rubicon build.

Let’s start with some stock photos and detail shots.

18F25E6A-76D9-485E-AD7A-C4BB8A17426F.jpeg

B13F97BC-1D68-4A17-BEF1-CD42D0B09FB2.jpeg

BEF70029-3867-46FE-9F11-742158648A85.jpeg

D68A96AF-C4A2-4081-B9AF-B44439A6F853.jpeg

4279A5C5-3FCC-48A1-A2EC-0143B777CE3E.jpeg

Inside and some detail shots for the curious. Every detail on the Shiftpod is pretty well thought out. The floor tub zips in or out depending on what you want to do. You could easily live full time in one of these.

45A812CB-7AFD-4F27-8C86-838612E9FC4C.jpeg

5C9ED2FC-A71D-450B-9398-08D8017C9947.jpeg

A23234AC-2314-403B-A660-761B1AA3EE33.jpeg

9211E7D6-699D-41CF-91D8-3DA83CD10E11.jpeg

A9690409-7CE6-4832-AF73-FAAFCCD96299.jpeg

7B31A9D5-BA1C-4394-A045-2B45B9586AEC.jpeg

I mentioned testing and wind. Properly staked down, the natural boulder shape sheds wind (and dust) unlike more traditional consumer grade tent designs.

8C52D64F-95CE-46D5-B5F7-57C1F4775881.jpeg

For serious rain or super hot weather, there is a fly they call the “Blast Shield”. Different colors are on the horizon as well including solid colors and camo patterns. Even a ghillie suit version is being planned for military or hunting use.

D10D593E-6EE8-489C-A4D7-B99E9D53B1B1.png

10C91FB9-9553-4CC5-8CD4-34BF65ED442B.jpeg

Other accessories on the horizon include a tunnel system that connects Shiftpods making larger layouts possible.

53E3EFFC-00E5-44B5-938C-53268D169627.jpeg

E36BFEEB-5CEC-4107-BA53-7B1234AE6549.jpeg

0E887D92-BAF2-4F59-A262-B39778ADF4B7.jpeg

Entire cities could be made from Shiftpods if needed, they’re a real force multiplier in a disaster response scenario. This was laid out in one day.

B47CE10B-7E02-41CD-911B-4F4282ACC11F.jpeg

I've been very impressed with them when I've looked at them, watched the set up and take down , which is remarkably fast and simple. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the shape of the door. For a big guy or wearing bulky/winter clothes it is a bit small. That nit pick is so minor that it wouldn't stop me from getting one.

Excellent choice IMO!:cool:

I am really digging these. Almost bought a Gazelle at Overland Expo East but timed my volunteer time on pack-up day wrong and they were gone. This is a similar frame pop-up design but I like the geometry here better (Gazelle is a cube).

For vehicle travel, I don't think the packed size is that bad. Yes it is longer than other styles but we have a little more wiggle room on wheels and good shelter is a high priority when balancing space. Downright tiny compared to a RTT.

My concern being in a humid environment is ventilation. Muggy/still air can make for a hot, miserable night, and cold weather makes it rain inside with condensation. How do these fair?

My concern being in a humid environment is ventilation. Muggy/still air can make for a hot, miserable night, and cold weather makes it rain inside with condensation. How do these fair?

We’ll see. With all the windows and doors open, and the vents up high, I think we’ll be fine. The rain fly covers the windows so that will allow them to be open in inclement weather. Bug screens look to be appropriate to keep out the gnats and No See-Ums too.

Get a Heater/AC unit.
img_2108_1.jpg

Of course that goes against the less gear and more go philosophy. :lol

But. You can make a cheap 5 gallon bucket AC with dryer vents that take advantage of those vent ports already in the side. Don't cut the bucket up like some designs. You then can't use the bucket for storage or other things like a loo (with a bag of course). Just carry a modified lid and dryer vinyl vent duct so you can fill the bucket up with ice when you need it.

FVU3NWHIBTESO36.LARGE.jpg

You can make a cheap 5 gallon bucket AC with dryer vents that take advantage of those vent ports already in the side. Don't cut the bucket up like some designs. You then can't use the bucket for storage or other things like a loo (with a bag of course). Just carry a modified lid and dryer vinyl vent duct so you can fill the bucket up with ice when you need it.

I am going to need one of those in about three weeks...

-Andy

Packed size and weight are similar to Oz Tent. Is set up time similar? As in 30 seconds to erect the tent and 20 minuets staking and guying? I may have missed it on the web site but where is Shift Pod manufactured? At the price point they are selling I’m guessing Asia?

Last edited:
Packed size and weight are similar to Oz Tent. Is set up time similar? As in 30 seconds to erect the tent and 20 minuets staking and guying? I may have missed it on the web site but where is Shift Pod manufactured? At the price point they are selling I’m guessing Asia?

I had an OzTent RV5. Shiftpod setup time is MUCH faster. Staking it down is not even needed unless you expect wind. And then we’re talking 6 stakes unlike the 15 or whatever I needed on the OzTent. Guylines are only required for high winds.

Given the choice between the two, the Shiftpod wins for me, especially considering the significant difference in useable interior space. Pretty sure both tents are made in Asia as well.

I am eager to hear how it does when it's very rainy.

I hear they had some ventilation issues and leaks with version 1.0. They say the Shiftpod 2 has addressed these issues (added vents and drains at the windows) so we'll see.

I am eager to hear how it does when it's very rainy.
This. So many products seem to be developed for the drier climes of the West, Aussie or South African outbacks that the effects of continuous rain of the East isn't a consideration when products are being developed.

As one who is always looking for the best solution for dealing with the wet, seeing Dave's experiences with the Shiftpod will be interesting.

More like out of the pan. Just don’t take too long setting it up or you’ll burn the bottom. :peek

B3336665-2656-4B76-BC63-D1690822CF25.jpeg

On a serious note, I’m curious but would want to try one for a weekend to see if I liked it. It’s just such a different design. I’m not sure about the windows or floor

This. So many products seem to be developed for the drier climes of the West, Aussie or South African outbacks that the effects of continuous rain of the East isn't a consideration when products are being developed.

As one who is always looking for the best solution for dealing with the wet, seeing Dave's experiences with the Shiftpod will be interesting.

Truth. I'm going to get some real opportunities to test this in all weather - the Midwest is famous for rapid weather changes and unexpected storms!

On a serious note, I’m curious but would want to try one for a weekend to see if I liked it. It’s just such a different design. I’m not sure about the windows or floor

I was on the fence for a LONG time on this to be honest. It's very "non-traditional" in both appearance and details.

Once thing you can be sure of, if it sucks you know I'll say it (and they'll hear about it)... :lol

Regarding the shiftpod, I've spent some nights in them, they're great. From the Socal deserts to the Outer Banks NC and even at the Biltmore!
I'm very intrigued by the mini - seems to be what I'm looking for. But, if you're going to carry the mini, you may as well carry the full shiftpod. :confused:

I'm very intrigued by the mini - seems to be what I'm looking for. But, if you're going to carry the mini, you may as well carry the full shiftpod. :confused:

True statement. Looking at both now in their cases, only difference is length of the case and weight.

Mini is 4.5 feet in its case, full size is 6.5 feet.

That’s also where you get your interior standing height.

Truth. I'm going to get some real opportunities to test this in all weather - the Midwest is famous for rapid weather changes and unexpected storms!

I was on the fence for a LONG time on this to be honest. It's very "non-traditional" in both appearance and details.

Once thing you can be sure of, if it sucks you know I'll say it (and they'll hear about it)... :lol
Hopefully we will get to see it in action up in UWHARRIE :backpacker

Back
Top Bottom