Dave, What do you think is a better setup for a pickup? The shiftpod or something like the Gofast Camper/ AT summit?

I really like the price a lot better of the shiftpod. However I really really like the idea of having the bed and bedding already setup and stored in the camper.

Also I have a short bed Tundra. Unfortunately the shiftpod won’t fit nicely in the back.

The issue I have with a truck mounted living arrangement (I have a slide in truck camper) is you are stuck in camp unless you break down your camp.

Last edited:
The issue I have with a truck mounted living arrangement (I have a slide in truck camper) is you are stuck in camp unless you break down your camp.

This is why I may change my plans from a GFC or AT Habitat to a Shiftpod or OZTent.

I can camp AND wheel now :D

DE14DC60-9533-488E-BE2B-501C247C2A5C.jpeg

Yep, we still enjoy getting back to our roots and just taking the Jeep. We have a "SoCal 4 seasons", tent, that I can stand up in, that we use when moving fast but base camping for a day or two. We have a smaller tent we use when on a point to point trail, moving every day.

I'm fortunate enough to have an assortment of vehicles/campers/trailers that I can tailor for a trips specific needs.

Jeep.
Truck/camper flat towing the Jeep.
Truck/camper towing 24' enclosed car hauler with Jeep and gear stuffed in it.

These days, in a pinch, I can take my whole damn house with me if need be!:cool: (We live in a travel trailer)

The Shiftpod is an awesome product. I saw one of the first ones up close a couple of years ago. If I was in the market for a family tent, it wouldn't even be a debate, I'd own one.

Last edited:
I truly think the Shiftpod is a step above what most of us consider to be a tent. The Shiftpod is more of a portable shelter. You could live out of one in relative comfort if you had to. I think they are sturdy/durable enough that relief agencies would be wise to consider them as "rapid response shelters" in the event of a disaster.

In my opinion it's absolutely a step above what most consider a tent to be. I have spent many a miserable night in a tent flapping in the wind or stuck confined in a small place waiting for a storm to subside. I no longer care what the weather is doing when I use my Shiftpod. They have plenty of room inside and I would feel very comfortable in one if I had to live for an extended period of time.

Weather was rough this weekend in North Carolina. The Shiftpod was watertight though condensation must be managed through use of the fly (Blast Shield) and proper ventilation.

But it didn’t leak a drop nor did the floor pan allow any of the numerous rivulets to enter.

:D

My camp setup needs a new plan. ShiftPod ordered. They're going to ship it out today to make sure I have it by Expo East.

Comfort, ease of set up, main vehicle mobility. A good camping system will have some of all 3 elements but it seems like you have to concentrated mostly on just two. Except for what I have. My current setup kinda sucked in all 3 and I really wanted something better.

It was a serious tossup between Oztent and Shiftpod. Oztent is a more labor intensive setup but it's awnings and annexes allows for a public gathering area as well as a cooking area. It also gives you a staging area where you can keep the rain, mug, grass, whatever out of your sleeping area. i.e. Comfort. These are things the Shiftpod is currently missing as part of their system. I am looking forward to the tunnel system because that in of itself looks like it'll make a good staging area. The hub that can connect multiple ShiftPods looks like it will create a good gathering/cooking area. I hope they can execute both of those with the same ease of setting up the shelter. However those accessories are not available now. Oztent edges out Shiftpod on comfort.
screen_shot_2017-07-25_at_5.11.22_pm_1.png

Obviously the ShiftPod wins in how much less labor intensive the setup is vs Oztent. This is the part that really appeals to me. Thinking about it. This is the reason why I eyeball Go Fast Campers, AT Habitats, etc.. The idea that something unfolds and the majority of my camp setup is done. Thus my choice.

I can’t get over it looking like a freshly cooked jiffy-pop.

Yeah, there are compromises in anything.

I can’t get over how easy it is to set up or take down, how much room it has, how weatherproof it is, or how much happier I am in it than I was in an OzTent, FlipPac or FWC.

I can’t get over how easy it is to set up or take down, how much room it has, how weatherproof it is, or how much happier I am in it than I was in an OzTent, FlipPac or FWC.

That's saying something! Lap of luxury right there!

What do you use for a cot or do you? Currently using Oz tent cots but they are heavy!

That's saying something! Lap of luxury right there!

What do you use for a cot or do you? Currently using Oz tent cots but they are heavy!

We picked up some air beds on Amazon. Super comfy and half the size/weight of the OzTent cots.

WOW, that says a lot!

This a panorama of the interior of my Shiftpod at Overland Expo East.
PANO_20181110_074233.jpg

Some math:
  • The area of a hexagon can be found with the length of the side squared times the square root of 3 times 1.5. The side of the living space of the shiftpod is roughly 5'6"
  • This gives you about 78.6 sq. ft. of floor space. Roughly the equivalent of a small 10x8' bedroom.
  • The height of the Shiftpod is roughly 6'6". This gives you roughly 510 cu. ft. of living space (the sides and roof are domed out but the walls tilt in).
Mr Heater suggests using the following formula to calculate the amount of BTUs required but I think these are for enclosures with hard insulated walls.
  • Cubic Feet x Temperature Increase (Fahrenheit) x .133 = Required BTUs
  • Cubic Feet x Temperature Increase (Celsius) x .2394 = Required BTUs
Interesting things I found out.

Back
Top Bottom