SEES Country Fried Weekend 2015

It's that time of year again, magic time ---- no, not Thanksgiving, not Christmas ----- It's the SouthEast Expedition Society's Country Fried Weekend time.

Due to the fantastic time we had the past two years, it will be held again at Wildcat Campground in Suches, GA; the long weekend is January 16-18, 2015. It's a great campground that offers a little of everything ---- shaded tree-filled spots on a hill, two secluded tent-only locations, gimungo RV pads with full power, wifi, big/clean bath-house, covered pavilion with lots of tables & chairs, a huge grill, huge firepit with seating, a small lake, a 4x4 trail, access to backcountry dirt roads, a "bunk-house" cabin (available to rent).

CFW is a potluck and dinner on Friday and Saturday & is traditionally an all-afternoon/all-evening affair. Here is the sign up list for both nights.

CFW is a mellow event, family-friendly, moderate alcohol consumption, and no electronic music (if you play or sing, please feel free).
The fire will be epic again.

It doesn't cost anything to attend; the event itself is free.
The campground is private however and that isn't free ----- Wildcat will be ours for the weekend, closed to the non-SEES community.
It got a bit confusing last year so, with the help of Donald Oaks, the proprietor, we simplified the camping fees. $15/night for a regular campsite and $30/night for one with power; $5/truck for day-trippers (potty fee). We thought this would work pretty well --- if the fee sounds high for a solo adventurer, hook up with somebody and share a tent. Try to keep it in reason though. Like two tents or two vehicles per site.
To keep the price down there will be no hookups for the RV blackwater pipes ----- but the bath-house will be open and working.

Please come and join the festivities. You can add your name to the attendee’s list by clicking this link.

-Andy

There is a realistic possibility that I will show up to this event! Just need to wait until the New year to get travel approved at work.

Fingers crossed!

What a great way to start out 2015! This is a really fun event and a shining example of what American Adventurists is all about. The trip from Virginia to Georgia crosses some very scenic territory and I really enjoyed the drive down there and back wandering through the small towns and villages, and the panoramic views to get to the group camp site. Meeting and sharing with this group of like-minded individuals was easily the high-point but certainly the chow is a great draw as well. Be sure to prepare a favorite dish to share and you will be warmly embraced and inculcated into the mysteries and marvels of the Uber Elite South East Expeditionary Society (SEES). Not that there's anything Uber or Elite about SEES - these are regular, welcoming folks - but it sounds neat. However, when they offer you boiled peanuts just smile graciously, accept them, and pretend to enjoy them while you seek a way to discretely dispose of them... :D

The group rides are mild but extremely fun and scenic - you won't be disappointed. The greatest draw is the impressive community fire... between the warmth of the hearth, commaraderie and conversation, and warming beverages you'll have invested in new friends and memories.

The weather can be fickle though... the first year I went was mild but last year was flippin' cold, but easily mitigated for the prepared. My OzTent with the addition of a Mr. Buddy heater was more than up to the task of taming the single digit wind-chill and I was especially comfortable. I recommend anyone considering attending come prepared for frigid temps.

Regrettably I won't be there this year as my truck is in the shop for some major changes to the propulsion system, but I'll be there in spirit and will enjoy it from what I read about it on the American Adventurists forum.

Have a great time all, I know you will, and render a toast in my honor.

Some past pictures from 2013 and 2014 for your encouragement...

284.jpg
291.jpg
CFW 2013 c.JPG
DSCN2617.JPG
IMG_5405.jpg
potluck.jpg
CFW201406.jpg
CFW201417 (1).jpg
IMAG0176.jpg
IMG_7823.jpg
IMG_7849.jpg
IMG_7972.jpg

I've already let Bill know that we won't be able to make it down. With this new job I don't have any more vacation time until next June so we'll stay snowbound here in our little corner of PA for the time being, not that we've had much snow so far thus year. Here's wishing you guys have the best of times!

One week away and it's .1 deg F in Suches, GA.
The forecast does show a warmup next week.........

-Andy

Terri finished the CFW handouts for attendees.

2015 CFW flyer_Page_1.jpg
2015 CFW flyer_Page_2.jpg

I hope to see you guys there!

-Andy

A huge Thank You to OutdoorX4 for adding a one year subscription to the raffle.
:starrynight

-Andy

Andy didn't mention that his better half is the new Mayor of the SouthEast for the upcoming year. Unanimous decision.

032_zpsb84a7dba.jpg

Everyone had a very good time.

113_zpsc579590f.jpg

038_zps13c28b0d.jpg

055_zps47d131ed.jpg

081_zpsef893d65.jpg

091_zps23410375.jpg

158_zpsd7357f25.jpg

Looks like another awesome time with a bunch of good people, thanks for sharing it with us guys. We are rather fond of that bunch of SEES hooligans.

Indeed, thanks for posting Bill. Looking forward to seeing you guys again at Appalachian Rendezvous

:campfire

Looks like it was superior weather too Bill.

Congratulations Terri! Rule with an iron fist...

Back
Top Bottom