Sealer? Need help with material Identification

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
Getting ready to install a winch mount on the Colorado.
The device I bought to mount it is a CNC cut and fold and weld origami-type contraption. (That makes it sound bad and it really isn't.)
Anyway, with the folds, the backside of some of those joints have v-shaped notch. I'm getting it prepped for paint and such and some of those notches/valleys concern me a bit with long-term corrosion protection as I drive on the beach and salt environments a fair amount.
Some amount of paint will go there but I'm not really able to get down into them to prep for paint.
Some years ago, part of the trunk floor on my car was replaced after an accident and the body shop put something over the welds which helped to seal and smooth them before the painting. The material hardened but looked easily like it may have been mopped or brushed into place.
Any hints on what that material was or something that I could use to seal there?
On a wood project, a bead of caulking would probably do the job but I'm thinking I want something that will push into the valley and harden.
Thoughts or ideas?

3m Panel Bonding Adhesive maybe? This is the stuff you see squished between body panels in cars. It's designed to help prevent corrosion in areas that need to be sealed but can't necessarily be welded closed.

3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-58115-450-ml.jpg

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/?N=5002385+3293939371&rt=rud

3M has a variety of epoxies and adhesives like this...Scotch-Weld is another. I think JB Weld has a couple options too.

It's called "Seam Sealer" ironically enough. Any auto paint/body repair place has this. There are different types - some are flexible, some rigid and sandable/paintable. Some comes in a tube and can be applied like caulk. Used all the time refurbishing Land Cruiser bodies after the cancer is cut out and panels replaced. Perfect application where 2 pieces of metal butt against each other and there are imperfect edges that can't be completely welded. Just Google it and you can purchase it on line.

It's called "Seam Sealer" ironically enough. Any auto paint/body repair place has this. There are different types - some are flexible, some rigid and sandable/paintable. Some comes in a tube and can be applied like caulk. Used all the time refurbishing Land Cruiser bodies after the cancer is cut out and panels replaced. Perfect application where 2 pieces of metal butt against each other and there are imperfect edges that can't be completely welded. Just Google it and you can purchase it on line.

In fact, I think I saw a post on FB the other day about identifying the different types of seam sealer used on Land Cruisers. It was a guide to proper selection for a perfect OEM application pattern for restoration purposes. o_O Some of these Cruiserheads have it bad... talk about nit-picky detail. :eek:

In fact, I think I saw a post on FB the other day about identifying the different types of seam sealer used on Land Cruisers. It was a guide to proper selection for a perfect OEM application pattern for restoration purposes. o_O Some of these Cruiserheads have it bad... talk about nit-picky detail. :eek:

Have a friend that restored an International Scout with his Dad in highschool. Took them 6 months to find someone selling the original screws for the ashtray in the thing. Some people are just...unique.

Have a friend that restored an International Scout with his Dad in highschool. Took them 6 months to find someone selling the original screws for the ashtray in the thing. Some people are just...unique.

:crazy

Getting ready to install a winch mount on the Colorado.
The device I bought to mount it is a CNC cut and fold and weld origami-type contraption. (That makes it sound bad and it really isn't.)
Anyway, with the folds, the backside of some of those joints have v-shaped notch. I'm getting it prepped for paint and such and some of those notches/valleys concern me a bit with long-term corrosion protection as I drive on the beach and salt environments a fair amount.
Some amount of paint will go there but I'm not really able to get down into them to prep for paint.
Some years ago, part of the trunk floor on my car was replaced after an accident and the body shop put something over the welds which helped to seal and smooth them before the painting. The material hardened but looked easily like it may have been mopped or brushed into place.
Any hints on what that material was or something that I could use to seal there?
On a wood project, a bead of caulking would probably do the job but I'm thinking I want something that will push into the valley and harden.
Thoughts or ideas?

Seam sealer.

I bought some from Eastwood when I had move part of the firewall away from the passenger side header on my Ranger. You remember the V8 Ranger, don't you? ;)

Since originally posting, I've sat through the Eastwood Youtube videos and several others. There are also some sealers from 3M and others and it comes as two-part in a can, two-part in a tube, caulk-tube style that hardens, that doesn't harden, in dark and light colors. Also seeing some recommendations that I paint first and others that I don't.
Could be overwhelming.
I'll probably see what the NAPA store has in stock in a caulk tube and grab that.

I remember the V8 Ranger.
I've had friends that were Rangers. I've had friends that drive Rangers. To the best of my knowledge, none of my friends actually were V8 Rangers.

I think you will be fine with the caulk-tube style dispensing sealer. Hardening or not probably doesn't matter, given where the sealer is going. I suggest painting first, since paint doesn't stick to the sealer.

I don't have any friends that are Rangers. I do know a couple that have V8s, however...

The adventure continues. The NAPA store is now a vacant building. PepBoys recommended a two-part product from the JB Weld folks.

The adventure continues. The NAPA store is now a vacant building. PepBoys recommended a two-part product from the JB Weld folks.
I sincerely encourage you to go to a automotive paint product supplier or auto-body shop and at least talk to professionals about your application... if you care about it that is and want to do the job once and correctly - if it's not a big deal theen just put on some bathroom silicone caulk and call it done.

The absolute worst place for advice is your local auto parts store and the typical employees working the counter there. They have no preparation for the job they perform, other than company policies on how to perform a sale, and their depth of knowledge on many items is what their manager is telling them to push or what they have seen sell or learned from a customer who asked for a specific product and taught them.

Google a sales location near you and ask their advice - they are taught the specific applications for the products they sell.

The part I left out is PepBoys recommended, I listened to them, read the package, put it back on the shelf and left to go do more of my own research. This project has gotten tabled for a little bit.

Had to come back and look up something from this topic and realized I never closed the loop on this. I ultimately bought the Eastwood Seam Sealer in a cartridge tube. Although I was going to paint it black, I bought it in beige to make it easier for me to see where I had and hadn't sealed. It did the job for me.
Thanks for the recommendations.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s...92t5LgaTzhOrIbKTEA0LtErmHFNyY7oIaAse2EALw_wcB

Thanks for the update.

Let us know how it holds up.

Pictures?

Since we can't see it in person, thanks the current hoax being propagated around the country/world. :(

As requested, pictures and discussion are here I apparently didn't take pics of the seam sealer installed and it is well-hidden now,

Back
Top Bottom