Scrapple...

Scott

Adventurist
So for the first time in my life this morning.. I am in Reading for work and they bought us all breakfast at the Shady Maple amish buffet. I'm sure the local PA guys may know about this place. I have to say, pork scrapple is one of my new nectar of the gods. Yum!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I love me some scrapple!!

2011-01-24-14-31-40-1-scrapple-from-florida-seen-as-one-of-the-most-pop.jpeg

images

Y'all are disgusting and I've eaten some real nasty crap. I dont care what Haggis and the other PA Kings say thats pig bungholes. Ever see that stuff made?

I went to Valley Forge Military Academy back in 86 out there in Phillly and they served us that stuff. Now I'm sure as far as scrapple goes we were getting the garbage of the scrapple world but that was enough for me to never want to eat it again.

BACON!!! :D

Scrapple...the stuff that isn't good enough to make SPAM from, lips, assholes and gelatin...you can have it!

Philly is famous for a few things. One of them is Philly blunts. Ever wonder what goes into a blunt.

Large scraps of tobacco are pulped and turned into a tobacco paper for the wrapper. Stems and anything that can't be pulped is chewed up into bits and used for the filler.

Replace tobacco with pig and you have the mixture for scrapple, and its far better than a Philly blunt.

@Scott, as I wasn't able to connect with you for a cold beverage while you were in Reading, send me your address and I can ship out a care package from Habersetts. My father is in AZ, I know the drill.
upload_2016-1-15_21-1-6.jpeg

I'm not the biggest scrapple fan, but the dinner near me deep fries it and it's not half bad. Pork roll on the other hand is where it's at.

I'm not the biggest scrapple fan, but the dinner near me deep fries it and it's not half bad. Pork roll on the other hand is where it's at.

Can we start the Pork Roll vs Taylor Ham debate?

I do like my scrapple deep fried. Pork roll runs a close second to bacon around here.

My wife's grandparents are from the Mount Laurel, NJ area. When we visit, Scrapple and a visit to WaWa's are tradition :)

Can we start the Pork Roll vs Taylor Ham debate?

I do like my scrapple deep fried. Pork roll runs a close second to bacon around here.

I'm always interested in processed meats. :) I think @Phoenix is just the guy to explain the differences between SPAM and Taylor Ham and Pork Roll.

Now, I did perform my due diligence and have read several articles about Taylor Ham, it's local rival Case, and several other products in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

So Phoenix, what are your thoughts on these 2 products? Similar tastes, texture?

My wife's grandparents are from the Mount Laurel, NJ area. When we visit, Scrapple and a visit to WaWa's are tradition :)

Small world I went to High School about 10 minutes from there. My mom and brother still live there.............

There was a wawa near my hotel running a special on coffee.. $1 for any size. You can bet where I stopped every morning before training for a decent cup of Joe.. Especially for a buck it's hard to beat.

Finally on my way home.. Should be there in an hour or two.. I actually felt I got a decent deal on this.. 2 airline sized bottles of Jack to mix with my free coke.. For 8 bucks maybe I'm jaded but it's making my flight mucho better...
bac8e440af9106b9c0efd0ebe80d495b.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately the only whiskey on American airlines is Jack.. If they had jim beam id be all over it...

I'm the next exit down on the Turnpike. Let me know next time you're in NJ.

Wawa's aren't what they used to be. It's hard to find a good old fashioned one instead of the newer overcrowded high-priced rest stop stores.

As far as the pork roll / taylor ham debate, Taylor is a brand of pork roll, it says pork roll on the packaging, yet central and northern NJ people insist on saying Taylor Ham. South Jersey and the Philadelphia call it pork roll.

Pork roll is definitely not Spam, although I don't want to read the ingredient list on either. Pork roll is a round log of meat, normally pre-sliced. The regular way to cook it is in a frying pan after slicing in 4 places so that the round slice resembles a maltese cross to keep it from curling up. Sliced on the grill is also great. But, if you can find a 6 lb log of pork roll, I highly recommend grilling the full log low and slow. Just take a vegetable peeler to the outer layer to alow some grilly goodness to seep in. The peeled layers? Fry them in a cast iron pan bacon style for a snack.

20140705_143901.jpg

20140705_113226.jpg

I'm always interested in processed meats. :) I think @Phoenix is just the guy to explain the differences between SPAM and Taylor Ham and Pork Roll.

Now, I did perform my due diligence and have read several articles about Taylor Ham, it's local rival Case, and several other products in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

So Phoenix, what are your thoughts on these 2 products? Similar tastes, texture?

Pork Roll is so many steps above SPAM it really can't be compared, unless you read the ingredients, which I don't, because I enjoy Pork Roll. Traditionally Pork Roll comes in a log wrapped in a canvas bag. You can also buy it pre-sliced. The question of if you put 3 or 4 slices on the round slice from the log is an epic discussion worthy of much research. Failing to put at least 3 slices will lead to poorly cooked Pork Roll. The advantage of pre-sliced depends on if the person slicing off the log has the skill to make the slices uniform. Pork roll is best eaten when the edges have just caramelized, or for the less foody readers, just starting to burn. If you slice too thick, the inside isn't fully cooked, too thin, it burns through. Naturally like all other pork products, Pork Roll is best cooked on cast iron.

Regarding taste, Pork Roll is more like fried bologna. Not the Oscar Mayer stuff, real bologna. I find SPAM to have a more gelatinous and homogenous texture than Pork Roll. If the two are available, I would leave the SPAM for someone who enjoys it.

I'll be in Nova Scotia this summer, but AR '17, there will be Pork Roll and Scrapple.

There was a wawa near my hotel running a special on coffee.. $1 for any size. You can bet where I stopped every morning before training for a decent cup of Joe.. Especially for a buck it's hard to beat.

I coach ladies lacrosse, many of the games are early in the day. WaWa is the standard breakfast run for Coffee and a Sizzly. My preference is the bacon, egg, and cheese on the bagel. If you time it right, you can get them just out of the oven. Their coffee is several steps above Dunkin Donuts.

I hope some day you get to experience WaWa's Hoagie Fest. Good sandwiches at very reasonable prices.

Man, do I miss scrapple (and shady maple smorgasbord)! I can get scrapple in some grocery stores here, but I miss having it available at all the breakfast places. The closest I have found to scrapple in North Carolina is liver mush, and even that isn't common.
And growing up, I preferred sheetz over wawa, but they aren't what I remember them being

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom