Scott B.'s Little Guy Offroad Teardrop Build

You said you thought it sometime looked a little tacky. I was disagreeing but allowing for your preferred viewpoint.

It's this whole "peace on Earth, Goodwill to men" thing floating around. It has me totally off-balance. It should pass in a few days.

Side Awning

Continuing with the custom awnings, we built an awning for the side of the teardrop.

The awning can be deployed in two positions - as shown, with the awning going to the ground. Or, with the poles farther away from the TD, making a larger shaded area, with a lesser wind deflector.

The plan is to make detachable side panels to serve as a makeshift changing room.

sa1.jpg

sa2.jpg

trailer looks amazing. you got me to rethink my whole camping set up.

Thank you.

The trailer was really a game changer for us. It makes camping easier - setup and tear down are quick. The best part is the kitchen - open the back, ready to cook!

Sure, there are some hassles pulling a trailer, but the benefits are worth it.

@Scott B. How has the trailer held up? What kind of terrain do you tow it down? I'm been thinking of doing the same thing, but am worried about it holding up.

It has held up great! I've towed it somewhere in the neighborhood of 35,000 miles - mostly highway. However, I did drag it up Last Chance Canyon road last year.

I tow it almost anywhere I drive my truck.

No regrets - the trailer is doing great!

Love this build, great job! We have a little guy 6 wide. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading the axle, lifting and putting larger wheels on or going with a completely different trailer. I would like to be able to tow offroad over some pretty bumpy stuff, and figured the torsion bar setup and frame of the little guy cabin wouldn't hold up in the long run...what do you figure from your experience?

Well, I see I am a little behind in keeping this thread up to date...

The trailer is holding up fine. I figure it has been towed approximately 35,000 miles (mostly on-road) - we have had no issues with the structure.

To answer your question, if you like the 6 wide, changing the axle and lifting it are very easy to do. I don't know that you need to upgrade the axle - I wanted the parking brake feature of the brakes, so I had to upgrade to 10" brakes, which are only available on a 3500 lb. axle. The trailer weights around 1000 lbs, so there is a little overkill. But I do still flex the suspension, so the suspension is not so hard that it beats up the trailer. Lifting the torsion axle is simple - it is essentially a piece of channel bolted between the frame and axle.

Larger tires are great - I don't worry about towing the trailer over anything. Same as on the truck, so I only carry 1 spare tire.

I suggest you add a skid plate if you plan to take the trailer off-road. The skid plate is welded to the frame, adding both additional rigidity and weight down low, lowering the center of gravity. With the taller tires, I have dragged the skid plate a couple of times.

I wouldn't hesitate to modify the trailer.

Funny thing - I always planned on building a teardrop. We bought this one to be able to camp now - while I built one. Now, I don't think I will build one - I don't feel a need to change anything. This one works great for our use.

doing the conversion to offroad IMO makes for a fun transformation. I built my 1st offroad trailer from scratch, & no doubt it was a fun 10 month build. But taking a street version of a small trailer & converting it "doing it the right way" is a challenge IMO. When I took our new 2019 Runaway Range Runner put of alot of thought into it, new longer heavier tongue, new suspension system: all new leaf spring hangers, 31" smooth ride leafs GVWR 1800lbs, shocks, fabricated the shock mounts, axle flipkit (new perches) sitting on the factory 3500lb Dexter Axle. Once I felt the suspension & tongue was to my level of offroading, the rest was gravy to fit mine & Sally's needs & style of camping. He's how "I" figure I paid 5,500. for the trailer new, by the time I finished with every thing (my wife kept a tally on all spending) I put another 7,200. into it. Most of these offroad trailer start @ 13,000. then the on-add's go up. not to pirate your post, here's my finished squaredrop.
Your build Scott was exciding & a pleasure to watch it's transformation & done very tastefully.
SAM_1467.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom