Scott B.'s 2015 Tacoma AC Build - Expo Style

This happened...

100000.png

What?
You took a pic of your odo while driving in the dark at 45 mph with one or more low tires?! Wow. Talk about living dangerously!
(And since your truck now has 100,000 miles, you should probably be even more cautious about this sort of thing!)
See? I told you I'd recover from that Peace on Earth Goodwill thing.

What?
You took a pic of your odo while driving in the dark at 45 mph with one or more low tires?! Wow. Talk about living dangerously!
(And since your truck now has 100,000 miles, you should probably be even more cautious about this sort of thing!)

Agreed, totally irresponsible behavior. Damn millennial!

What?

I don't have any TPMS sensors - so all four of my tires could have been low!!!!!!!

Nice to have you back, BTW... o_O

The last several weeks have allowed me time to get a lot of things done to the truck, both maintenance and mods. The scattered days of warm weather have helped, too.

First, a big maintenance project - u-joints and carrier bearing. While they might not be "worn out", I just passed 100,000 miles, so they are due for replacement.

Spicer parts

p1.jpg

About to go back under...

p2.jpg

Other maintenance items included a new serpentine belt and new spark plugs.

The first mod was seat spacers.

Reading all the commentary on seat spacers really got me wondering. Could tweaking the seat bottom angle really make that much of a difference?

To answer that question, I cut some 1" blocks out of a scrap 2x4, and placed them under the seat. No, I didn't drive this way - this was only a static test. Yes, moving the seat does make a difference.

However, being 6'2"+, I normally look out the upper 1/3 of the windshield. With the spacers in, my gaze out the windshield is even higher. But the seating is much more comfortable.

I sent a message to olecoot on TacomaWorld, asking if he could cut me a set of 3/4" spacers. No problem - and they showed up the other day.

ss1.jpg

Using bolts that I already had on hand, the entire set installed in a few minutes.

ss2.jpg

I am anxious to take a long drive with them.

The next mod is a 5 for 1 deal. The base change is swapping the silver center dash trim piece for a black one. Purely cosmetic, but looks much better to me. I have always liked black interiors. Since the dash was coming apart anyway, I was able to do 4 other mods that each required the dash coming apart.

1. USB Charger
One of the 12V ports was replaced with a Blue Sea Fast Charge.

u1.jpg

The lower dash, power ports removed:

u2.jpg

The finished product

u3.jpg

I had to open up the hole in the dash ever so slightly to fit the Fast Charge. For wiring, I made a short adapter from the factory wiring to the FC.

Why install the Fast Charge when I can just use a USB charger adapter? Simple - with my CB mounted under the dash, the adapter will not fit in the left-side port.

2. Seat Heater switches
As can be seen in the above pictures, I installed switches for seat heaters. I have the heater assemblies, and will install them once I figure out which way to upgrade the seats. Meantime, since the dash was apart...

3. TPMS Light Disable
After 3 1/2 years, my TPMS light is off!!!!!!!!

I cut the blue wire and tied it to the red w/white stripe. Works great!

t1.jpg

4. Hypertech Speed Calibrator
After 3 1/2 years, my speedometer is much closer to my GPS reading!

h1.jpg

This mod was purely plug and play. Program the box, plug it in. The hardest part was pulling the dash apart.

h2.jpg

We're not done yet...

Black Interior Trim

The stock interior trim pieces on my truck are a metallic-ish silver. They are bright, and I prefer a darker dash. Fortunately, someone was looking through the parts catalog, got an idea, and posted it. The rest, as they say, is history.

I bought a set of black interior trim pieces - steering wheel controls, console cover and radio surround. The steering wheel controls are from a 2016, and the surround and console parts are from a base model truck.

b3.jpg

I also picked up a 4WD switch from a HiLux. These are black - and lighted.

b1.jpg

Installation was straightforward.

b2.jpg

It looks so much better to me.

I will have post a picture of the entire dash back together.

Air Pump Filter

As a preventative maintenance measure, I did the "Uni-Filter Mod".

For those that may not know, the newer 4.0L engines have an external air pump that runs under certain conditions. This pump has a foam filter that tends to fail. Its failure can cause small pieces of the foam to enter the pump and cause valve damage (to the air pump, not the engine.) A simple fix is to replace the prone to failure foam filter with a pleated filter.

I picked up a made in USA Uni filter.

uf0.jpg

Here is the air pump (under the cover)

uf1.jpg

Here is a view of the filter (the air pump lid is upside down)

uf2.jpg

The foam filter and dirt deflector (at the front, or right side of the picture) are removed, and replace with the Uni filter.

uf3.jpg

With the cover on, you can barely tell the difference.

uf4.jpg

The filter failure problem is not as prevalent on the 2015 models, but why risk it?

Air Pump Filter
As a preventative maintenance measure, I did the "Uni-Filter Mod".

One of my two air pumps is beginning to squeal. I wish it were as accessible as yours but I have to tear out the washer reservoir and few other things to get to it. Once it finally dies completely (or just gets on my nerves enough) I'm going to order up one of the air injection deletion kits and get rid of the things. Emissions systems are silly!

Unfortunately, a deletion kit is not available. I would just remove it and add blockoff plates, but there is computer interaction required... :(

Unfortunately, a deletion kit is not available. I would just remove it and add blockoff plates, but there is computer interaction required... :(

Huh, kind of odd nobody is making something like that for the Tacoma. The Tundra, Sequoia, Landcruiser, GX470, 4Runner and FJ all have them available. Block off plates and a module that tells the ECM what it wants to hear.

IMG_20190405_084246.jpg

Huh, kind of odd nobody is making something like that for the Tacoma. The Tundra, Sequoia, Landcruiser, GX470, 4Runner and FJ all have them available. Block off plates and a module that tells the ECM what it wants to hear.

View attachment 44583

Who made that one?

There is one company I know of making them for Tacomas, but not for the 2015. Seems the usage logic changed - to fix the pump failure problem...

I also picked up a 4WD switch from a HiLux. These are black - and lighted.
Tell me more. I hate that the stock selector in Michelle’s truck does not light up. I don’t drive it enough and after first reaching for a proper lever I fumble around the dash trying to find it in the dark.

Tell me more. I hate that the stock selector in Michelle’s truck does not light up. I don’t drive it enough and after first reaching for a proper lever I fumble around the dash trying to find it in the dark.

I found the switch on eBay - it came from Thailand. However, it doesn't mount to the Tacoma dash. There was a guy on TacomaWorld making aluminum adapter rings for these switches. (I still need to install mine.)

For the lights, you add 2 wires to the connector going to the switch (empty slots) (pins that fit the connector are available from Toyota) and tap the green and green/white wires from the harness going to the HVAC controls for light power.

There are several threads on TW that describe this process in detail (it is not difficult) and I will send them to you if you are interested.

Rear Bumper - Slowly.........

This project seems to be one I never work on.
clear.png
I have a good design plan in my head, and do plan to complete this. I am anxious to get the spare tire out of the bed (obviously, not anxious enough!)

The tire mount is one part I didn't have to think about very much. As on a previous swing-out, I will use a front hub. Easy and simple. Except, the Toyota hub does not fit inside 2x2 tubing. The outside diameter of the hub is approximately 1/2" larger than the inside opening of the square tubing.

The two ways to solve the problem are either cut the tubing to allow the hub to fit, or cut the hub to fit in the tubing. While I think either solution would be strong enough, I decided to modify the hub and leave the tubing intact.

So the question became, how to modify the hub? The steel in the hub is too hard for a hack saw. A cut-off wheel would work, but not be extremely accurate. Probably not an issue, but the OCD in me was not satisfied. Hmmm....

The solution became obvious - the hobby shop at work has a mill! Once set up in the mill, I was able to cut all 4 sides, keeping each square to the other. Cutting a 0.005" a pass, it took a while......................

rb1.jpg

It came out great!

rb3.jpg

A few passes with a flap disc, and I have a nice snug fit into the tubing. And, it was fun using the mill.

Now that the mount is complete, it's time figure exactly where the tire will hang.

RB2.jpg

I also have the latch pieces cut. I will need to pull the bumper off, cut and weld the latch pieces in, then re-paint the bumper. Then, build the swing outs.

It's coming - slowly....

Back
Top Bottom