Scored a Flippack, BUT...

Local399

Adventurist
Found it in Colorado. Super cool guy helped me load it and temporarily mount it. However...the rig is 9 feet tall now...YIKES! It's the damn utility bed...although with the new long arm kit and Fox coilovers even on a regular bed it would sit pretty high.

It would be about 2 inches lower once mounted. PLUS I need to build a "tailgate" since the utility bed came with a little 6 inch mini gate. I also need to seal off the front. I was planning on using the space between the Flippack and the back of the cab as storage...Max Trax or solar panels or something.

Is it just TOO ridiculous to keep? I mean 9 feet tall is dumb, but I have wanted one for a long time and I could build out the bed area pretty nicely. The Flippack is in typical condition...a few little cracks, some scuffs, whatever...who cares...but am I gonna hate myself for keeping and taking the time to sort it out OR hate myself for selling it?

20170714_150350.jpg

20170714_150401.jpg

That's actually a cool combo with all those storage boxes. Yes it's tall but everything is a compromise in one way or another. Used FlipPacs in good condition are hard to come by.

If it makes you feel better my FWC flatbed is 9 feet 6 inches tall. You get used to it.

Some kind of roof basket would make the visual difference less stark. Good looking rig. Are your doing a tailgate?

Found it in Colorado. Super cool guy helped me load it and temporarily mount it. However...the rig is 9 feet tall now...YIKES! It's the damn utility bed...although with the new long arm kit and Fox coilovers even on a regular bed it would sit pretty high.

It would be about 2 inches lower once mounted. PLUS I need to build a "tailgate" since the utility bed came with a little 6 inch mini gate. I also need to seal off the front. I was planning on using the space between the Flippack and the back of the cab as storage...Max Trax or solar panels or something.

Is it just TOO ridiculous to keep? I mean 9 feet tall is dumb, but I have wanted one for a long time and I could build out the bed area pretty nicely. The Flippack is in typical condition...a few little cracks, some scuffs, whatever...who cares...but am I gonna hate myself for keeping and taking the time to sort it out OR hate myself for selling it?

View attachment 32305

View attachment 32306

Keep It, It will be just fine. I have had a few rigs that where tall and they worked great. Just look out for low trees and some drive thru's.

I bet it's a circus to put the crank on and turn it?

Since the truck is tall I have to have a step stool so it's not a big deal.

I was gonna possibly put a wing or something on top of the cab...or like you guys mention, a basket, for more solar panel storage options.

Building a stair tailgate is a great idea too...also thought about making the rear glass and door one piece that opens upward...would give a little awning effect to cover the cooking area.

The truck is diesel so the mileage really did not change, at least at 65 mph speeds. Since I put the long arm kit on the truck is already a little squirrely on the road...takes more input to keep it straight. I'm sure the added weight, all up high, does have some affect on handling but it was honestly not too bad on the way from Colorado.

I was secretly hoping everyone would say "it's totally ridiculous" or something and then I could sell the whole thing and get a Tacoma and just order parts from a catalog instead of having to scrounge or make everything. OR sell the Flippack and the bed and get a flatbed and FWC...but alas you guys saved me money and cost me time and headaches...YAY.

You may end up starting a new direction for some. Storage is always an issue and seems to eat up interior room and by having the service body you may have bypassed the usual issues. They say it's the journey not just the destination. You will have fun

I think it looks fine and you have some good ideas in here for the visual. My rig is 9' tall as well and hasn't been a major problem. If you're going to fab some sort of folding panel for the gap above the tailgate, I'd recommend considering replacing the glass with barn doors that go all the way to the bed. I always wanted barn instead of the tailgate and rear glass when I had my Flipoac.

then I could sell the whole thing and get a Tacoma and just order parts from a catalog instead of having to scrounge or make everything.

Honestly, it's WAY cooler to make something that's uniquely your own than to buy a rig and throw a credit card and a catalogue full of bolt on stuff at it. You can't swing a dead cat these days without seeing another Tacoma or FJ that looks like... just another clone.

WAY cooler to make something that's different!

:cool:

The only thing I question is the angle of the Flip-pac, is the bed going to be flat or sloped with the way it sits?

I love this thing... so many possibilities with all that storage and the flip pac. I suggest doing the build out and using it. If it doesn't suit your needs at that point, I feel certain it would sell quickly.

The only thing I question is the angle of the Flip-pac, is the bed going to be flat or sloped with the way it sits?

All FlipPacs are made to be flat when opened. It should be fine.

Did you get the 2 stainless pieces that the stabilizer legs attach to? That maybe an issue to reinvent/design/ponder.

Found it in Colorado. Super cool guy helped me load it and temporarily mount it. However...the rig is 9 feet tall now...YIKES!

Eh, with my Astro, after a 4" lift, plus the fiberglass pop-top, plus the crossbars and roof basket, I'm pushing past 8' myself. Aside from skipping the drive-throughs and avoiding parking garages, it's been fine. The flip-pac puts a little weight up higher, but I'm guessing it isn't a huge portion of your max payload weight, so it shouldn't make things too top-heavy. You'll notice cross-winds.

I think it's very cool.

I have found my tribe...embracing the odd, encouraging the unique...blah, blah, blah. I know the Taco/JK route would be way easier...but far more money and there is no rival to my cheapness. Plus I have never done anything the easy way...and I hate myself for it (kidding/not kidding).

So I am gonna take a few more baby steps forward with this addition. I do have all the parts including the stainless pins for the supports. I will have to make/modify those and the legs too. I'm sure I'll do a build report with more pics and stuff.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your votes of confidence and reassurance that nothing is too weird.

Just re-visiting this thread and only just now realized: This setup is probably the only flip-pac rig around that can actually get away with a roof basket!

LOL...trooth. Which may be the only way that does not insult the eyes. I still cannot commit to this setup. It is still on the truck but I am gonna list it for sale me thinks. I am tempted to go a different direction...Norweld flatbed with an FWC or something like that...also selling a kidney to fund that option.

I dunno...maybe just get a Taco or Runner or JK...that would be SOOO much easier.

Back
Top Bottom