Say goodbye to cheapo Chinese VHF/UHF handhelds?

There already is an amateur radio system that doesn’t need a test, it’s called GMRS.

Are you looking for a mobile or handheld (HT)?

I'm partial to Yaesu products, but any of the "Big 3" will work just great. (Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM)

Handheld: FT-60

Mobile: FT-1900

I found my FT-1900 available with an online coupon at Ham Radio Outlet for $135.

For mobile antenna companies I've had success with both Comet and Diamond antennas...any of their 2 meter or dual band antennas would be great for adventure comms. Mounting preference is user specific, but a nice magnetic mounted antenna is a great first time choice, easy to mount and harder to steal if you pull and store each time.

Comet: Comet M-24M

Diamond Antenna: Diamond MR-77S

If you're looking for the inexpensive Chinese units mentioned above, Baoefeng seems to be the radio-du-jour...

Baofeng: Baofeng UV-5R

Lots of choices for all budgets...73's and I am QRT. ;)

Maybe an "E-Tech" class??

Thanks GeoYota.
We use daily the Baofeng on our trip in Botswana and they worked pretty well with a magnetic antenna mounted to the roof of our Land Cruiser but I think I'd like to install something better like the FT-1900 you mentioned.

Thanks GeoYota.
We use daily the Baofeng on our trip in Botswana and they worked pretty well with a magnetic antenna mounted to the roof of our Land Cruiser but I think I'd like to install something better like the FT-1900 you mentioned.

A good hard mounted mobile rig with an appropriate and correctly mounted antenna will make you never want to go back to using a handheld in a vehicle again.

Duh... this is why they make extension cords, silly. :D
How come I just had a flashback to childhood and the corded phone in the kitchen being stretched and wrapped around the house? Then again, a spool of com wire has lots of uses and could be brought into play here too.

^^^ :rofl

Yeah, I remember that kitchen wall phone with the coiled handset cord all stretched out with a series of tangled wads going its length.

:lol

A good hard mounted mobile rig with an appropriate and correctly mounted antenna will make you never want to go back to using a handheld in a vehicle again.

I think I would need someone with experience to do the install...now to find someone....

Last edited:
How come I just had a flashback to childhood and the corded phone in the kitchen being stretched and wrapped around the house? Then again, a spool of com wire has lots of uses and could be brought into play here too.

That would be awesome, 100ft away from your vehicle...

After reading the article, " One hundred dollar Ham", I jumped in and bought a Beofeng last month. Passed my Technician test today. Should have my call sign in a week or so. I've been putting it off for years. This article changed my mind.

After reading the article, " One hundred dollar Ham", I jumped in and bought a Beofeng last month. Passed my Technician test today. Should have my call sign in a week or so. I've been putting it off for years. This article changed my mind.

That's awesome, congrats on passing your test. Now the fun really begins!

I picked up a copy of The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual a while back, I guess I really ought to look at it and get my license. One of my uncle's has been into HAM radios longer than I've been alive and every time I see him he asks when I'm going to get a radio.

Getting your Technician license is not hard. I put it off for years. I have had frs, gmrs, and still have a CB. None really foot the bill. I studied the book and took practice tests. A local club had a weekend course so I signed up. Really don’t know why I waited so many years. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom