Saw this beauty in Colorado. Wishing...

100acre

Adventurist
I don't know the correct year but I'm guessing 40' or 50's Willy's or Bantam? What are your thoughts?
IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2354.JPG

WW11 Ford GPW. The ford versions had the U shaped front cross member in the frame. The Willys frames had a round cross member.
A lot of these went through rebuild programs and ended up being Willfords.
G. government program P. 80 inch wheel base recon car W. Willys design

Actually; they were a lot of fun; with a more modern power train, fuel injected small block, strengthened frame, better front axle (even a late narrow D30), more modern rear axle (easier to get lockers), gears for the (modern) mud tires 4wheel disk brakes and more comfortable seats, modern shocks, etc....
No problem on the highway, in summer, can be cold in winter (no heater).. Slow in stock form due to the 5.38 axle gearing... I especially liked the hand cranked windshield wiper. My feet are too big when the Jeep is equipped with hanging pedals though (had to drive with my toes).

Enjoy!

Edit; that one looks like it might have been made for the Navy because it doesn't have a tail gate.

Last edited:
most likely 1941 to 1945 Ford. I re-done frame off 1946 CJ2A Willy's ( 1st yr civilian) back in the mid 80's. Bought off the original owner in Arroyo Grande, Cali. Rebuilt the original Go Devil Flathead, upgraded the suspension (Rancho) leafs zero lift, shocks, steering stabilizer. Installed larger brakes, went with 8" x15" steel rims w\ BF Goodrich Desert Dualers, had the radiator redone, Rhino Locking Hubs, Saginaw Steering, changed the electrical to 12v. Painted it Corvette Yellow & had a over drive installed. This one of a few I wish I never sold.

attachment.jpg

11230719_1005209366194604_1086643280067738953_n.jpg

Last edited:
Box stock with 5.38 gears 45 mph is all they are good for. They do flat tow very nicely. I have found that is the easiest way to make one go fast on a long trip. Street legal don't need a trailer. There is a bunch of entertaining videos on youtube of a pretty much stock CJ2A taking on some rough stuff by Stan Fuller of Grandpa's Jeep.

WW11 era Willys MB and Ford GPW,s did not have tailgates
..If you say so; I'm just going by what the (now mostly expired) olde tymers & WWII vets. have told me...

I found early that the original, flexible, frames (one likely reason why they work so well off road, IMO) are not all that strong... swapped in relatively early (1970s) post office Jeep (half ton rated) frames for longer life (and to get the fuel tank out from under the seat)...

They were fun for squirreling around tight obstacles, and could be modified for relatively extreme use; after a while though the short wheel base becomes a limiting factor off road; they can try to endo (flip over frontward or backward) on steep climbs and descents more quickly and easily than longer vehicles... not a big deal if a person can keep their wits about them; a possibly catastrophic, driver error, if not. (Roll cages are a very good idea!)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom