Salt and Sea A bomb practice test base.

Borrego60

Adventurist
Founding Member
Up at 3:00 and running out to the Salt and Sea to find the B1 Navel air base where the Government did practice drops with the A bomb. Looking for a few out buildings and a pier which is high and dry. I will be on the Mt Laguna repeater Tx 147.840 RX 147.240 Tone 103.5 for the hammies.KI6IGN is my call.https://www.desertusa.com/salton/salton-sea-test-base.
Well mission accomplished, Mud or should I say sand,dirt and rain turned the road into a mess, the goo stuck to my tires like rolling up a jelly roll. Kinda like the goo found at Soda Lake on the Mojave Rd. Real sticky crap. When I got back on hard pack I must had left 1/2 mile of mud and junk on the road flying from my tires, before getting on hwy 86.
Found some old ammo bunkers and a building I guess used as a look out point. I even found 1 of 2 targets they used to practice with still in the water about 1/2 mile off shore. Need to go out there again and explore more and to really look around when the area dries out. It started to rain pretty good so I left as not to push my luck in getting stuck. Last picture is of the target kinda fuzzy but a long ways away. Did not pick up or touch anything while I was out there, just took pictures and left tire tracks which were already there from other vehicles. The one building where the truck is parked on concrete is where the military stored the practice bombs. I just missed the main OP"S building due to the rain starting to come down harder. Enjoy the pictures. Will have to visit when it is dryer.
DSCN0604.JPG
DSCN0584.JPG
DSCN0585.JPG
DSCN0586.JPG
DSCN0587.JPG
DSCN0588.JPG
DSCN0589.JPG
DSCN0590.JPG
DSCN0591.JPG
DSCN0592.JPG
DSCN0593.JPG
DSCN0594.JPG
DSCN0595.JPG
DSCN0596.JPG
DSCN0597.JPG
DSCN0598.JPG
DSCN0599.JPG
DSCN0600.JPG
DSCN0601.JPG

Thanks for the Desert USA link, and the report. It was good talking to you on the radio.

It was nice to chat, I'm just sorry I did not remember your name when you came back to me. Every time I am out in the desert I am always on that repeater just in case someone else needs help.

SCI channels Abandoned places did an episode on this place. So. Cal's contribution to the Manhattan project.

Back
Top Bottom