Rubbermaid Actionpacker vs Plano Sportsman's Trunk

FozRoamer

Adventurist
I did a quick detailed comparison between two of the most popular storage containers out there. I researched a review comparing these containers online but didn't find anything out there so I decided to do one myself and throw it up on my blog.

Here is a link to the review

Last edited:
My only complaints about the Action Packers were not air/dust/moisture tight and the sides get brittle with too much UV exposure. I don't have any experience with the Plano boxes myself. I've just picked up some old Pelican cases I use now for my tools (and by old I mean one is my dad's from the 1980's and the other was rescued from a dumpster on a military base; I have some others I've gotten at yard sales, but they are smaller briefcase sized cases so I haven't found a use for them yet).

I just completed a 3 week trip. Had a Plano like tested on my cargo carrier in back. Had another smaller box on top and strapped both down. The smaller box on top had maybe 50 lbs in it but probably less. Mind you the smaller box had a smaller footprint. By the end of the trip the top of the plano had deformed and was a PIA to close. Now I was in HOT weather and rough roads sometimes. So if you stack them maybe only stack another Plano same size on top.

I really like the Plano much better so far. I have used the Actionpacker for a few years now. Actionpackers are a solid case just hate the interior wall design and no tie down points..

I have been searching for an action packer replacement for the same reasons as others, the Plano is on my short list now. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I have been using the Plano containers for quite some time. I have a smaller sized one as well as the one in the review. They, unfortunately, don't stack together because of the size difference. Aside from that small complaint they are great containers. I have had well over 75lbs in them and tossed them around. I have had them snapped closed with both handles and opened only one side to access the items inside, distorted the kids and sides, got the items I needed and closed it back up. One small slack and everything snaps back into place and they appear to be no worse for wear. I have accidentally ripped the handles off and they just snap right back on.
I really can't say enough good about these containers.

The Plano in the op has one thing screaming at me as an issue. Too big! I keep thinking my action packers are too big and I'd prefer to get rid of them and get the smaller ones. Just maybe 1 or 2 more for better organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying my family has a large base camp foot print, but I think we're only a single case of whiskey short of the Roosevelt Smithsonian expedition. With that said our go to "throw down" case is a Plano 1819 in which I've silicones the vent holes in the handles and a Plano 1919 that is our kitchen box. Some are fairly heavy (like the kitchen box), some are not (like the box with the life jackets and paddles for the canoes and kayak). One box would probably make most of you laugh but it contains a solid stash of wool blankets that we use on our cots and as cover around the nightly fire in the winter (the Mr. Buddy lives in that box as well).

For the price it is hard to beat the Plano cases, understanding that they're not exactly a "life time investment" item like a Zarges or a Kanz aluminum case. With that said I haven't seen a Plano product like the Kanz Field Bar, but here's the link if anyone want to complete some early Christmas shopping (either finish is fine with us): https://www.kanzoutdoors.com/field_bar.html. ;):D

image.jpeg

@Dave those are the canoe loops I mentioned on social media, I couldn't find this photo that afternoon.

Here are my 2 sizes. The smaller one fits much nicer in a vehicle. The larger has been retired to shelf storage.

The Plano in the op has one thing screaming at me as an issue. Too big! I keep thinking my action packers are too big and I'd prefer to get rid of them and get the smaller ones. Just maybe 1 or 2 more for better organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom