RTT mounting options

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
So I've been exploring RTT mounting options. I like the idea of a Yakima rack for my cab because I don't want the RTT up there except for the trips I choose to use it. Easy on off with these type of racks.

Issue I've seen with these is for instance the Yakima rack claims max load is 96lbs. The tents average 100-110lbs for the one I'm looking at. Then add the occupants at about 300lbs total. I am assuming the 96lbs means rolling weight and it would be different when sitting still but no idea. Anyone with actual info and experience on this would be appreciated.

The other option obviously is like a frontrunner roof rack or even one of their load bar set ups. My issue with this is a I don't really want a roof rack on my truck at all times. Plus if the RTT is on the rack you can't putting anything else on it so what's the point of such an expensive and nice rack if it's complete consumed by the RTT.

I'd really like to hear ideas and input on the Yakima or Thule type racks please. This is for a Gen 2 double can Tacoma btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im not sure the yakima racks would be able to handle the weight..... i know you have the canvas shell cover but is a bed rack out of the question?

Yakima will be fine if you ad another bar or two. I used three Thule bars (gutter mount) on my old 80 series. I mounted it with two bars on my 4Runner for one trip before I decided that I hated having that much weight up top. The more weight you add, the more bars you need.

RTTs on top of the rigs have always made me uneasy (especially after seeing a few rigs with RTTs flop). I think stacking a bunch of heavy crap up top is a bad idea, but if you must, then additional bars is the way to do it, its way lighter than adding a heavy roof rack just to mount the RTT (which Ive seen a lot of people do as well, and it makes me cringe even more).

I don't like weight up there either which is why I only want to mount the tent up top for certain trips. Not even every trip. I like options. If we will be moving daily the RTT is a good idea.

If you are talking about the Yakima Loadwarrior and/or Megawarrior baskets racks, I wouldn't mount a RTT on one. I have one I ran on my wife's old Trailblazer and my Forester when I had it. I wouldn't trust the mounting clamps to hold the rack with that much weight on it while driving. I have a Loadwarrior w/ extension you are more than welcome to check out if you are in the Victor Valley some time.

If you are talking about the Yakima Loadwarrior and/or Megawarrior baskets racks, I wouldn't mount a RTT on one. I have one I ran on my wife's old Trailblazer and my Forester when I had it. I wouldn't trust the mounting clamps to hold the rack with that much weight on it while driving. I have a Loadwarrior w/ extension you are more than welcome to check out if you are in the Victor Valley some time.
Nope. Just the feet and cross bars. No sense in a basket just to put a RTT on making it useless.

Back
Top Bottom