richard310's 04 Xterra Build and Adventures

Aww man.. I was really looking forward to the n600 build but I understand priorities. Of you need to replace the start a do you have any ideas on what you'll be looking at?

So if you retire the Xterra, what are you looking at getting?

Not sure yet. I was hoping to hop into a Colorado Diesel towards the end of the year, but given the situation, things are still up in the air.

Aww man.. I was really looking forward to the n600 build but I understand priorities. Of you need to replace the start a do you have any ideas on what you'll be looking at?

I was really looking forward to the N600 as well Scott. I got as far as getting it cleaned out, but it's found a new home and hopefully a new breath of life. I'm really not sure how this year is going to play out so things are real iffy now.

The control arms are unable to be removed after 5 hours of attempt, unless I spend more money to get them torched/cut at a local suspension shop since the rust has corroded the splines of the torsion bars, and the bolts and bushings (over $1k in labor alone).

Damn dude. When I replaced my UCAs back in November they were corroded and the top washers had rusted themselves to the bolt. We had to use a air hammer to get them off on both sides. Luckily I had access to the auto hobby shop on the base where I work so only paid for the cost of the car lift/stall and paying my coworker to help.

Good news. The mechanic called me today around noon to tell me the truck is back all together. They were able to reweld both mounts onto the control arms and reinforce it a bit as well. Luckily, he's just going to charge me the service manual suggested hours for this round, even though they spent pretty much two whole days on it. I think the Xterra may just be staying a little longer more, prolonging it's death lol.

Good news. The mechanic called me today around noon to tell me the truck is back all together. They were able to reweld both mounts onto the control arms and reinforce it a bit as well. Luckily, he's just going to charge me the service manual suggested hours for this round, even though they spent pretty much two whole days on it. I think the Xterra may just be staying a little longer more, prolonging it's death lol.
Does that mean your still camping with us next weekend?

So after replacing my starter yesterday on the street, I bring the Xterra in to get an alignment and tire patched since there's a nail in it. Turns out there's more to just the alignment. The driver side wheel bearing is stating to loosen, and the passengerside upper ball joint is busted ready to pop out and say goodbye. So now I've got to go home carefully, replace the upper ball joints and tighten up that wheel bearing.

When it rains it pours... The age and mileage are really starting to show now.

Replaced the upper ball joint on the passenger side. It was about to break loose and give me a really really bad day. Fortunately it was replaced easily, as it took me only 30-45 min to do. I've got to go back and get it realigned at Firestone tomorrow morning.

KIMG0856.jpg

You can see in this image the rewelded patch work for the lower shock mount on the lower control arm. Both sides. Now it's solid for the time being!

KIMG0858.jpg

Hard to see on the phone, but the weld looks a bit on the rough side, definitely keep an aye one it. Good to hear you caught the ball joint before total failure.

So with recent happenings in regard to the Xterra, I decided to find something to lessen the degradation of the Xterra in daily driver/commuting duties. With a long time itch for two wheel power, and an opportunity from my coworker, I jumped on a super great condition 1974 Honda CB200 with only 10k miles.

A recent service done by my cowrker, who's a thorough and religious kind of guy, new tires, oil changed, a few new key parts and it's turn key ready for me. After a few weeks of research and debating, I finally made the jump today.

I hopped on to take it for a spin to get a feel for it. The last time I was on a bike was probably over 10 years ago at an MSF beginner's course. ( I should've taken my DMV test back then since it waived the riding test back then.. :mad: ). Luckily, it was still fairly fresh in my mind, but will take some practice to get it down comfortably. I still got it.

Once I get things registered and get my M1, this little guy will be my commuter.

From my coworkers phone:

IMG_9328_4.jpg

IMG_9330_4.jpg

Lashed up to the POS Harbor Freight carrier. We ended up putting on 3 more Straps to the roof rack to equalize the load on the hitch. I had to remove the swingout arms on both sides. The suspension handled the weight no problem.

KIMG0886.jpg

Wow, that bike looks super clean! I had a CL 200 back in the day, same basic bike, just the exhaust ran a little different, both pipes were on the right side, and were mounted up higher out of the way.

Wow, that bike looks super clean! I had a CL 200 back in the day, same basic bike, just the exhaust ran a little different, both pipes were on the right side, and were mounted up higher out of the way.

Thanks Bob. Yeah those CL200's were cool looking bikes with the higher mounted exhausts. Their "dual sport" version of the CB. It's current pipes are off a 350 but may revert it completely back to the originals. It sure sounds pretty good though.

Might be a bit of a stretch if a lot of freeway commute involved.

Nope no freeway commuting. All surface streets and the max speed on those streets is about 40-45mph. If I were doing freeway commuting, I would've bought a small car, or if I really wanted it, a 500cc +.

Ok so buy the best helmet you can't afford and some good protective gear then change your name to Fonz. Retro is hot now, looks like you have a pristine machine good luck

Back
Top Bottom