Replacing my dual batteries, Charging issue?

Wait, where's the LVD?

still not sure if there is one................I will check that before I remove the old batteries. Also the truck has been siting for long periods of time and it seems the batteries not getting full charge and the Tacoma smart alternator may be the issue. Either way, I think a better solution is to keep the batteries charged as suggested by the manufacturer and to do this seems I need a DC to DC charger...............

Batteries will be arriving today and I will bench charge them. In addition, I will work to figure out the new system (DC/DC) and any issues before I put the new ones in........................

If your truck is sitting for a long time outside, add a solar panel, 100w or 2x 100w panels would do the trick.

The Ctek D250SA mentioned above has support for solar. Sitting for a long time would kill a battery pretty fast. My truck sometimes sits for two months, so I have an external charger to top up every 2 weeks.

If I had a CTEK D250SA with solar, I wouldn't need to plugin a majority of the time.

But TBH, even a $20 solar maintainer would probably do the trick.

Long term build wise, you can look into a Smart LVD from Victron w/ Bluetooth to protect from over usage drains. The LVD would hook into the house battery and you would simply isolate any non-vehicle tertiary loads through the LVD. The 65A model gives you up to 780W of max draw which is enough for a fridge, aux lights, small inverter. Major secondary loads (Winch, Compressor, etc) I'd leave on the starter battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BPR000100400-BatteryProtect-12-24V-100A/dp/B07PJ1SW9Z/

If your truck is sitting for a long time outside, add a solar panel, 100w or 2x 100w panels would do the trick.

The Ctek D250SA mentioned above has support for solar. Sitting for a long time would kill a battery pretty fast. My truck sometimes sits for two months, so I have an external charger to top up every 2 weeks.

If I had a CTEK D250SA with solar, I wouldn't need to plugin a majority of the time.

But TBH, even a $20 solar maintainer would probably do the trick.

Long term build wise, you can look into a Smart LVD from Victron w/ Bluetooth to protect from over usage drains. The LVD would hook into the house battery and you would simply isolate any non-vehicle tertiary loads through the LVD. The 65A model gives you up to 780W of max draw which is enough for a fridge, aux lights, small inverter. Major secondary loads (Winch, Compressor, etc) I'd leave on the starter battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-BPR000100400-BatteryProtect-12-24V-100A/dp/B07PJ1SW9Z/

Great info, thanks!

Scott - how did you resolve this? Did you go with the DC to DC charger?
I did.

Details here.

2 Scott's..............

Yes John, I think it will be resolved, however everything is not hooked up yet....................

Removed ALL my wiring for my dual batteries, replacing the system with a CTEK 250SA DC-DC and mounting my second battery in the bed. I am going to plan everything out and take my time with the install. Replaced my starting battery with one of my new Northstar batteries............

20191231_084628 (2).jpg
20191231_083839 - Copy.jpg
20191231_083849 - Copy.jpg

Thinking of doing this as I have had the same issues as you. My truck is a daily driver and still have issues. when out camping I have solar connected but still have had problems keeping batteries maintained.

Back
Top Bottom