Repair and Scene Lighting

kalieaire

Adventurist
So I've been encountering more situations when driving where I or someone in the group might get a little overzealous and find things that snap, break apart, and require a tow or many hours into the night to repair.

Sometimes we just want to be able to cook dinner away from the truck and where our Baja Designs S2 aren't quite suitable.

What are you guys doing when you need to setup serious lighting on the trail?

Doesn't take up any space in the truck since it is towed. This should satisfy your "serious" lighting requirements in camp or on the trail... :D
atlas-copco.jpg

I have the Gear Aid ARC LED light with a RAM magnetic mount. 20 to 320 lumens, 3 color temps, and a diffuser bag to turn it into a nice lantern. You can also recharge a phone with it. I don't recall who it was on here that clued me into this setup. It has been working out great for me at home and at camp. https://www.gearaid.com/collections/adventure-tools-lights

GA-Light-Arc-Lifestyle-01-90120_1400x.jpg

Last edited:
Baja Designs Squadron Sport or Pro, your choice, angle mounted lights.

Angled%20Flush%20Mounted%20Large.jpg

These are the ones I put on Jon Burtt's truck. Enough light to cook by, enough light to light up the entire left and right side of the trail as you drive down it.

Let me know if you want some.

$224.95 each for the Pro (4900 lumens)
$164.95 each for the Sport (2260 lumens)
(retail rates shown, forum members get a discount, no group buy needed)

Baja Designs Squadron Sport or Pro, your choice, angle mounted lights.

Angled%20Flush%20Mounted%20Large.jpg

These are the ones I put on Jon Burtt's truck. Enough light to cook by, enough light to light up the entire left and right side of the trail as you drive down it.

Let me know if you want some.

$224.95 each for the Pro (4900 lumens)
$164.95 each for the Sport (2260 lumens)
(retail rates shown, forum members get a discount, no group buy needed)
That's handy - an angle mounted light - very nice. :thumbsup

For clarification, are you looking for a light to move around and work on rigs, and to also use use when you are on the trail to set up an area to cook?

Doesn't take up any space in the truck since it is towed. This should satisfy your "serious" lighting requirements in camp or on the trail... :D
atlas-copco.jpg
I was thinking of calling in an illumination mission....more diffuse lighting

For clarification, are you looking for a light to move around and work on rigs, and to also use use when you are on the trail to set up an area to cook?

This.

I need something that I don't need to change the batteries on every hour or even every few hours. Something I can hook up to a 12v battery or similar powerpack and walk away from for an entire night.

I need to be able to light up an entire area. Ideally a single light could light up the entire kitchen area workspace or the entire side of a vehicle with one or more if I need to light up the engine bay, underneath the vehicle etc.

And obviously mobile away from the vehicle.

It doesn't really meet your criteria for SERIOUS lighting, but I'm sure you could diy something similar... The early jeep guys used to encourage picking the under-hood lights off of old chevy? trucks. It had a reel that you could take the light with you when you needed it elsewhere, such as under the truck.

I have one somewhere, but I never installed it. Got it for like 2 bucks at the pick and pull. It's an awesome concept that I have no idea why it wasn't copied!

Is cost a big factor? There's always these guys;

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/remote-area-lights

You can spend hundreds, or you can spend thousands. Just depends on how much influence your inner "first responder" has on budget decisions.

Yeah, I was hoping for a better solution that also didn't cost as much as buying a generator trailer.

Milwaukee area lights are great, but they don't have such great solutions for under vehicle. The best option would be a single power source/battery that supports all types of gear.

Like if all the lights used Milwaukee batteries or 18650s or something.

Might just have to build stuff on my own. I guess it's a great age today for diy stuff since I can actually print battery mounts for Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc.

Back
Top Bottom