Red Clay Rally, a Monte Carlo style rally in TN

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
Looking to get out of my comfort zone a bit and do something new. The Wife has gotten interested in running the Rebelle Rally at some point in the future and we're looking at starting to get our feet wet. A local group is putting together a Monte Carlo style rally this coming summer in Tennessee called The Red Clay Rally. The website is sort of sparse on the specifics, but from a google search that appears to be in the nature of these "Monte Carlo" style rallies.

My wife and I are capable of using paper maps (we grew up before GPS), and the website doesn't make the route sound overly complicated or technical (I would assume FS and fire roads with some pavement thrown in). The organizers have indicated a stock 4x4 rig can handle things.

Anyone here done anything like this before? Any advice, suggestions or warnings?

Nothing quite like that, I've chased the NORRA Mexican 1000, a 4 day stage race, and I chased Vegas to Reno "The Long Way", a 3 day stage race. The best suggestions I have is to eat and sleep when you can... make meals simple, both to eat and digest, and make your sleeping arrangements easy to set up and comfortable.

Since it is a time/distance event, verify your vehicle speedometer and odometer calibrations. Remember if you get new tires between now and then it can affect both.

Thanks @Gallowbraid for spreading the word. I googled Red Clay Rally, and this was one of the first things to show up. We are organizing the event and are currently in phase 2 of 3 of planning. It'll be 3 long days of driving! I hope to see some of yall signed up. We currently have Blue Ridge Overland Gear, Black Peak Supply Co, and 2CMed sponsoring the event. Also although a stock 4x4 could make it, I am referring to more capable 4x4 trucks such as the ones Toyota produces. A new Jeep Grand Cherokee would most definitely be a terrible choice to bring on this trip, as well as a Subaru or any other car at that. Since I have began mapping the route, I have found that some of these roads are a little rougher than your standard Forest Service Road. I am also still mapping route, My 4runner has a mild lift, 33s and the only armor is rock sliders. I do not yet have a winch (but will for the rally) and suggest either winch or a secondary vehicle in your team just in case! Again, thanks for spreading the word. If anyone is interested feel free to email me with any questions! overlandtennessee@gmail.com

I have signed up and just got my teammate signed up as well. This is gonna be a blast. Now, if I can just find everything on the internet about these races.....

Back
Top Bottom