Recovery?

Stuart

Adventurist
Founding Member
Stumbled upon this gem. Bubbas are a worldwide phenomenon.

[video=youtube;Q8lMxYnGIrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw[/video]

I really wish there where more educational materials out there to teach people about proper recovery equipment. I talk to a lot of people who don't know the difference between a snatch strap and a tow strap. On of my friends bought a strap at Harbor Freight with hooks on each end to use in a recovery situation. Luckily I was able to warn him of the dangers before he ever used it. Not he has a set of shackles and a Snatch Strap.

I really wish there where more educational materials out there to teach people about proper recovery equipment. I talk to a lot of people who don't know the difference between a snatch strap and a tow strap. On of my friends bought a strap at Harbor Freight with hooks on each end to use in a recovery situation. Luckily I was able to warn him of the dangers before he ever used it. Not he has a set of shackles and a Snatch Strap.

This is a very serious issue... thanks for bringing it up. Good on you for educating your friend on the proper equipment, too.

That's a good practice for all of us... to step-up and educate less experienced folks on the trail to ensure they are properly equipped.

It's even a good idea when riding with friends to take some time out and practice recovery and complicated winching technique. Break out the recovery gear you haven't used for awhile and reacquaint yourself with it to ensure that it's fully functional.

Two proverbs apply... “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand,” and “The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during war.”

I was driving to work one day, coming up to a 4-way stop that's usually got 2-deep traffic. This day it was about 10-deep.
The reason was a young lady was in the street begging people for help; her boyfriend's pickup was stuck in a ditch.
Nobody even rolled down their windows; she was frantic.
I swung the Jeep around and dug out my snatch strap. When I got to the back of the Jeep I saw that the lad had already prepared himself with a few wraps of heavy duty extension cord ---- it's okay, the orange kind...
So I taught/showed him what a kinetic energy recovery strap does.

Back
Top Bottom