Recommendations for a Multi-Purpose Beginner Kayaking Setups

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
With all these neat paddling trips posted here on AAV and talk of canoes and kayaks, I'm getting the virus :lol

And Mark's fine specimen here got me thinking that technology has evolved since I last looked at these things.

100_2522.jpg

If a guy with some experience (white water river rafting, canoeing, sea kayaking) were to get a floaty thing, it would have to be able to do light coastal seas and estuaries, rivers up to class 2 maybe and lakes. Fast and stable is good. Comfortable seating with back support for 2 and able to fish out of. Enough room to maybe bring light gear to camp upstream somewhere. I know that's a tall order but I'm sure others think this way.

A jack of all trades master of none type setup.

What would you gentlemen recommend? :coffee

I'm really digging this little boat...

[video=youtube_share;SMRycFdeZg0]http://youtu.be/SMRycFdeZg0[/video]

The guy I worked with was a cat pilot, racer. And we had access to a 60' racing cat ---- it was super duper fast. He took me out once and the speed was just crazy.

A jack of all trades master of none type setup.

That pretty well describes my Native Watercraft canyak. It is a good all around boat, is super stable and is super comfortable with the suspension seat and the way your feet rest in the wells of the tunnel hull. It makes a good river runner up to class IIs but with an open boat you will get some water sloshing over the top in rougher troughs and swells. Fortunately it also has some well designed scupper slots so it is easy to tip up and drain when you get a chance, much easier than a closed cockpit kayak. I also have some splash skirts that help some too. Mine is a twelve footer (you can get them in 14' and 16' also) which is a great length for the types of waters we paddle. Its long enough to track well on the local lakes but short enough to be nimble darting in a river. The tunnel hull will cavitate in deep troughs though and wants to dart off so you have to be a little more aggressive in paddling through a choppy section than a regular hulled kayak.

The open design of the Ultimate makes hauling gear easy and during waterfowl season it serves as a decoy transport and shooting platform very well. I use a set of ATV gun holders that slide ionto the accessory rails to hold my shotgun while I paddle. I really like this boat but am considering buying a more serious river boat to complament it. That's the nice thing about kayaks...you can have a couple of different flavor of boats for less than the cost of one major component of your standard overland vehicle build.

As far as suggestions for you Dave this is my thoughts...

*If your interested in an Ultimate like mine they make one in a 14.5' length that can be converted from single seat to double. The extra length will make the boat track better in the big water like the seas while still not being to unwieldy to throw down a river. One seat and your cruising on your own with room for camping gear and with the second seat in you could tool around the wife or your daughter with just one boat. These boats are very stable and predictable and make a great all around boat.

*If you're looking for a cheaper entry level 'yak the Old Town Heron XTs are nice. They're a 9' boat so the are nimble but unlike the old Otters they replaced they have a semi-keel design instead of a flat bottom so they track nice. We bought a couple for the kids and they are nice boats and can be had for a tad under $300.

There are a ton a nice yaks out there and as your a big guy I would recommend finding an outfitter where you can try them out to see what feels the best for you. Yaks are like shoes...you don't really know how ones gonna feel until you try it one.

As far as gear buy a good lifevest, one with a half back so the PDF isn't pushing you away from the yak's seat. You'll be more comfortable and will enjoy the trip better. By a good paddle that is the right length for you and fits the boat well. You seem to be on the tall side so I'd say somethin 210 cms or longer. Aluminum shafts are OK, Carbon fiber are awesome but really expensive so we use the fiberglass ones as a good middle ground paddle. Bending Branches makes nice paddles but the Carsiles ones work just fine and are half the price. Have a sponge in the boat to soak up any water the sloshes in and a throw rope to have to rescue unexpected swimmers. Some people like paddle leashes, I find them annoying though some day I will loss my paddle and wish that it had been on a leash. Here in PA your supose to have an emergency whistle with you also. I usually have a couple of dry bags to stuff food and a change of clothes in plus a small Pelican box to keep my keys and what not from getting wet. A good pair of water dog sandals and a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off yer neck and your good to go.

You seem to be a pretty stout guy so an open boat like the Ultimate should be more comfortable for you than a closed cockpit boat that you have to squeeze yourself in. Also with the mounting rails and all the accessories available you can indulge your shipfitters disease to your hearts content. But try one before you buy one. And only buy a camo one...its more tacticool.

Yeah, the Ultimate has me drooling. I see lots of accessories too. Any thing to know about 14.5 versus 16 other than the obvious? Handling etc?

Yeah, the Ultimate has me drooling. I see lots of accessories too. Any thing to know about 14.5 versus 16 other than the obvious? Handling etc?

The longer the boat the better it tracks but the less manueverable it will be. A 16' foot Ultimate is going to be more taxing to single paddle as the longer length will make the prow harder to turn. Also with the tunnel ram it will not be as responsive as a 16' sea kayak with a standard hull. If you are planning to use it for river runs the 16' will hamper your experience as it will not be as nimble or turn as quick and will get hung up in tight rock gardens. I've seen this with stankfoots 16' Native Manta while his boys 11' Manta cuts right through. The main down side of the Ultimate is that it is not a distance boat as it is not as fast as your typical touring yak. But trying to float a long touring yak down a class II river and it's going to be a handfull and probably a wet experience. If it were me and I decided that the Ultimate is the way to go considering your criteria I would buy the Ultimate 14 if you plan on occassional double seating or the Ultimate 12 if it's just going to be your personal boat. Plan on getting a rudder for it for the open water and eventually get the spray skirts.

That being said stay open to other brands and styles of boats as kayaks are similar to purchasing boots...as not every boot works for everybody, not every kayak works for everyone either. The Natives are high quality boats, but they don't really excel at anything...they just do all sort of things very good.

Back
Top Bottom