Recommendations for a mountain bike carrier

Mr. Leary

Adventurist
Founding Member
Pretty simple request, Gents!

I'm looking for a bike carrier for my mountain bikes. I have looked at a few, but would like to benefit from the experience of people here.

No rooftop, as my pickup will be tall with the topper already. I don't want to break the bank, but want quality gear that I can buy once.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind;
If there's no room inside the topper and you put them on a rack out back they are the first point of impact in a rear end collision. I know it seems obvious but I've seen a lot of really high dollar bikes gets trashed like this.
That being said, if you've got to put them on a hitch mounted rack you can't go wrong with the Thule or Yakima hitch mounted racks (my current is Yakima and my old hitch mount was a Thule). Both are avail in hanging or cradle types. Cradle types are typically easier to use as you don't have to worry about clearance inside the front triangles, just drop the bike in the cradle, set up the wheel clamps and go. I have a Yakima High Roller roof top, stand up mount that sits on top of my driver's side bed rail as well as a couple of drop out clamps mounted to the floor of the bed behind the cab.

What ever you do, do not buy one of those hitches that have a 1" tube with a plastic 2"insert to fit a two inch receiver. Go ahead and spend the money to buy one with a 2"square steel tube insert. My 2" cents

I just bought a Thule T2, which is the cradle type carrier. My bike (and every full suspension bike I've ever owned) has a frame shape that just doesn't work well with the hanging type carriers. I'd used the T2 for years on a riding buddy's car, so I am 100% confident in it over a variety of terrain. Got mine at REI using the annual 20% off one item coupon, they don't really go on sale often.

I'd go with a cradle type if I were in your shoes, even it means spending a bit more. I got a Hollywood hanging type for a good price and while its nice and well built, as others have mentioned not all frames fit on them well. My bike for example took me about an hour to figure out a position that it would fit securely, and even after I found a good place its still a pain to take on and off.

If you're looking for a good rack that won't break the bank then try the Rola NV2 hitch-mounted rack. It's not as nice as the Yakima or Thule options but it does a very nice job of getting your bikes there and back at about 1/2 the cost. I've used one for a couple years now and it has worked quite nicely. However, keep in mind it does NOT have an integrated lock mechanism (i.e. lock cable to keep the bikes secure from theft) so it's really only intended to get you there/back to the trailhead.

X2 on the Thule T2. I liked it so much I even got the extension for 2 more bikes. Here's a review from Expedition Portal plus images courtesy of both Expo & Thule. The new version now includes an integrated cable lock To secure the bike in addition to the keyed adjustable wheel retaining arm.

http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-thule-t2-bike-rack/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 88
I'm using the Yakima FullTilet hitch-mounted bike rack and it's an awesome rack if you have a family's worth of bikes to load. I believe it comes in a version for 3 & 4 bikes as well. The integrated cable lock system and beer bottle opener (for after-biking refreshment) are great and the full-tilt capability makes it easy to access the rear cargo area without taking the rack off, etc. You can read a little more about it in the Newswire of OutdoorX4 at http://issue5.outdoorx4.com

So I'm still thinkin' on this purchase. Rear cargo access is important, so I'm wondering if I should carry bikes on the front hitch.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm just about sold on the Yakima ridgeback 4 and carrying the bikes on the front hitch. Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on this purchase?

Thule T2 all the way! I use mine like crazy, and snagged the extension as well. I've used the front half so long, I made myself paint it this season to hide some of the ugly. I've never had any trouble, and been easy to replace some of the parts I broke along the way. It's a beast, but works great! In a perfect world with endless budget, that Kuat 4 bike with all the bling and built in work stand clamp...

IMG_0180.jpg

Take a look at the 1up rack it is a great set up and one I will replace my current mounts with. If you look up gooseberry on the Sportsmobile forum you will see my build with a bike box and rack.

My present concern is with the non-hanging racks, and the reason is simple. Everywhere that I go that has guide services that provide support to mountain bikers on longer trails, I see hanging racks on front trailer hitches.

I'm thinking they use what works, but maybe I'm missing something.

Hanging racks do not fit all bikes and can leave them hanging I the way. You most likely seeing those because they are cheap.

Back
Top Bottom