Rear Differential Lockers, worth the expense

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
I saw the post "How much did we lose?" I posted about rear differential lockers if they are worth the expense. Must of got lost...no biggie, things happen.

My question is I have a 2000 GMC 1\2 ton Z71, it does pretty good offroading, some modifications on the truck, change the front & rear gearing to 3.73 but still has the limited slip, some suspension work, airbags with Daystar cradles, performance built auto transmission. At times I used the old school method for extra traction apply the parking brake some. I have lots of recovery gear underneath the rear seat. The expense for lockers ain't issue, are they a asset to the vehicle when needed. My winch is used more for removing falling trees blocking the trails or routes as we cut them in more manageable sections than in actual recovery situations. (I think I might of answered my own question).

Sally & I are finding ourselves enjoying adventures more like Trans America Trail ever since we ran Mississippi, Arkansas & Oklahoma TAT few years back. We are getting things together to run Oklahoma Painted Desert Backcountry Route. I like insurance having the equipment & gear on hand, it's their when I need it. Again I think I'm answering my own question.
438035279_7344306968951447_4518334561470734036_n.jpg

Last edited:
Worth the expense? IMO, yes.

I previously owned a well-traveled 2005 Tacoma with a factory E-locker. It went EVERYWHERE I pointed it and was rarely "stuck". Having a push button locker was key and is a HUGE advantage in certain situations.

That said, my current Jeep Gladiator has front and rear lockers. I've never needed the front and it's likely that, if I did, then it's really bad because I'm probably up shit creek at that point, somewhere I shouldn't be.

A selectable rear locker is right there with good tires on my list of mandatory things for off road travel. HUGE PEACE OF MIND.

that's what I wanted hear Dave.....I like insurance, when in need you have that provision, preventive measure in that situation.

Absolutely.

Another factor is physical mobility - I’m not getting any faster or younger (or better looking).

Rigging up recovery for stuck vehicles is a lot of work, especially in hot or inclement weather. It’s nice to just push a button and drive away :)

that makes a lot of sense Dave. I'm looking @ the Eaton Elocker & will be having it installed with in the month or so.

Coming from my well traveled Crapterra with open diffs, to my ZR2 with front and rear lockers, I find it worth the piece of mind and insurance. Plus I'm able to traverse trails I never thought I'd be able to access and see sights I never thought I'd be able to see. At this point, limited ground clearance is now the bigger obstacle to get over.

I went with the Eaton E-Locker 30 Spline GM 8.5" / 8.6" for my 2000 GMC Z71. Next is getting my mechanic schedule to do the work. The reason I went with Eaton Electromagnetic Locker was it recommend for daily drivers. I like the idea of flipping a switch to engage instantly locking the rear differential when needed. My last truck 1990 GMC Z71 I went with possi trac rear, end every turn the rear tires chirped, so I noticed some tire wear & noticed some what a drop in fuel mileage too.

I ended up going with Eaton Detroit Truetrac Torsen Style Differential instead of the E Locker. So far for what little time it's been installed I'm happy with it. It provides constant power to both drive wheels at all times while still allowing for wheel speed differentiation. The design works so well that the US military chose the Torsen differential as standard equipment on the Hummer H1.

NO clutch packs
Torque biasing helical gear design
Smooth, quiet, and automatic operation
Works in front or real axle applications
Maintenance free limited-slip locker

The real test is coming this fall, Sally & I are going to run the Arkansas TAT section again this fall pulling our squaredrop camper to see how this choice of differential will perform, & 2025 we are planning to do half of the Pony Express Trail starting @ St Joseph, Missouri stopping @ Salt lake City, Utah pulling our squaredrop camper, that will be another test to see how this Truetrac Torsen Differential will do. We are finding that camping is limited in the beginning eastern section of the trail starting at Missouri into Nebraska, & they seem to be more prevalent westward on the route.

Last edited:
Our 80 Series Land Cruiser came from the factory with front and rear lockers. It climbs almost anything like a beast. Loved having them and would use them as often as possible. I looked at them as a way to reduce the stresses of wheeling on the drivetrain by having to use momentum to get up obstacles fewer times.

Now for our 200 Series, it has Toyota's ATRAC and after towing our Kimberley Karavan (just under 5K) up Coyote Flat trail last month I will be adding lockers. While the ATRAC/terrain selector did the job it is hard on the brakes. While making our way up the hill, we stopped several time to let the truck's temps settle. Each time all I could smell was the brakes. Lockers are a very valuable asset to have on board. I'd add, a neccesity to have the rear at a minimum especially towing anyway offroad. Plus, I'd rather save my brakes for going back down the hill

I tossed around the of Eaton E Lockers & the Eaton Detroit Truetrac Torsen Style Differential, what swayed me to the Truetrac was the facts we do a lot of offroading in the Ozark Nat'l Forest, Ouachita Nat'L Forest & Mark Twain Nat'l Forest where lots of the trails are will have fallen smaller branches from storms that can & will snag on the wiring of the E Locker pulling it loose & making it inoperable. The other issue with Eaton E Locker didn't like the fact it wont engage until the tire makes a 1\2 revolution whether going forward or rearward. The Eaton Detroit Trutrac Torsen Style Differential from what reviews I've read & watched is stout seamless in operation & act like a good mannered locker more than a simple LSD. I like the fact it has no wires or air lines that can be pulled off on the trail.

I copied & pasted this part " With the Trutrac if one wheel begins to lose traction, the pinions separate slightly from the side gear and wedge in the pockets. As torque increases, the separating force increases, thus slowing or stopping the spin-out. This allows torque to be distributed to the wheel with the best traction. TrueTrac differential may not transfer torque if the spinning wheel is off the ground or on a very slippery surface. If spinning occurs, often a slight application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will slow the spinning wheel enough to allow the TrueTrac differential to transfer torque to the other wheel."

Yes "I" totally agree that selectable lockers are the ultimate in traction, but for the type of offroad travels the wife & I do mostly I feel this type of differential is best suited for us since we do mostly Backcountry Discovery Adventure Routes pulling our 1,600 lb squaredrop camper behind us.

Sounds to me like a good call. That trutrac is likely able to handle anything you are likely to throw at it with your rig and camper and is super durable and reliable. Really looking forward to your reports on it.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom