Real Life First Aid Experiences

haha. no hurt feeling report necessary. long story short with a Det of 50 (+-)seabees our HMC didnt care much he rather pucker up to Senior and do room inspections on SWA huts and made me wait for him. Its all good though, live and learn I did get a NAM btw but that is totally on skill and merit.

Attachments

• dd214 blanket.jpeg
    dd214 blanket.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 66
haha. no hurt feeling report necessary. long story short with a Det of 50 (+-)seabees our HMC didnt care much he rather pucker up to Senior and do room inspections on SWA huts and made me wait for him. Its all good though, live and learn I did get a NAM btw but that is totally on skill and merit.
Unfortunately, there are some "NO LOADS" out there, and it's very unfortunate when it's a small detachment that counts on every member to pull their full weight. It really takes very little effort for a Corpsman to do a good job in a small unit since your demands are limited to a discrete population, vice a larger command, and the impact an HM can have on that det can be exceptionally rewarding.

it is what it is. I was TQ had what i was told a decent emergency room since it was able to handle medivac via helo and vehicles. My Det worked at the airfield rebuilding/replace the damage air strip and landing strip. I also spend some time on OKI in 2006 and 2009/10

I agree with everything Tim says above, and I don't mean to take anything away from the point he is making about keeping your kit replenished and up to date. But I bet he's not really useless without his kit.

I agree that the kit is important, but as Tim emphasizes in the last line of his post above, learning how to use it is crucial. Taking a first-aid class so that you can recognize the early signs of distress can be more valuable than anything you can carry with you. Environmental problems such as hypothermia, heat stress, altitude related problems, shock, dehydration, and some illness or internal problems can present a lot of symptoms before they become serious. If recognized early, a lot of these can be "treated" with water, shelter, rest, etc.... before they become a complex evacuation. Or the evacuation can begin while there is still time/weather/daylight. Prevention and early recognition are solid gold when you are a long way from help. And that knowledge doesn't weigh anything. We all love the trucks and the gear, but when your friend/child/spouse is in trouble, some good first aid training is the best overlanding gear you ever bought.

The WFA, WFR, WFEMT courses are great. They are also fun if you are into that sort of thing, and you can go as a group or a family. If you don't already have the training, consider one of these courses (or any other) as one of your outings this year. And take your camping buddies with you in case it's you that needs help.

Code Red, thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in actually seeing it. I agree that I am not completely useless, but not having functioning equipment sucks. And ultimately me casting the blame doesn't help as I am to blame for not checking things out. I've become anal about checking since then as that was early in my career and I've definitely changed.
Taking any kind of course helps. The wilderness courses offered by various entities are very valuable as are local community colleges and their emt courses. Nowadays though with the EMT unlike in days gone by to obtain your emt requires more after you complete he class as you need to do lives an fingerprints and a DOJ background as states have learned you cannot trust everyone which is sad but true. A lot of the wilderness course unless you take the full emt course do not require the fingerprints and background and are still very worthwhile. I'm actually looking at taking the provider course for paramedics, PA, and MDs. Definitely look into it.

And for anyone looking for supplies, send me a PM. I have some that I'm looking to offload. Like tape, band aids, ace wraps, kerlix/gauze rolls etc.

Crash.jpg
Crash 2.jpg
Crash 3.jpg

Greetings Everyone,

Well, I don't post much, but I was encouraged to do so at the DR. Here is my story about being on the road with a touch of road rage and responding to a real life first aid event.

Sometimes you just rush into an event not knowing what to expect and hoping your training takes over.

Incident Narrative

On October 14, 2015 at approximate 0700, TACMEDIC was traveling eastbound on the 210 freeway near the city of Fontana, California when he observed a vehicle completing a spin in the middle of the freeway coming to a stop facing the wrong way. TACMEDIC was traveling with a trauma kit in his vehicle. TACMEDIC pulled his vehicle to a safe location on the side of the freeway after he observed another vehicle on its side up 25+ feet up the side of the embankment.

TACMEDIC exited his vehicle with his trauma kit and went up the hill and climbed over the fence that was knocked down and observed a full-size pickup on the passenger side door with damage on all sides of the vehicle from what appeared to be consistent with a roll-over.

TACMEDIC then conducted a ‘scene size-up’ and observed the vehicle to be stable as it was wedged up against a parked vehicle in the parking lot of a car dealership. TACMEDIC did not observe any fuel leaks or smoke/fire.

TACMEDIC approached the pickup and observed the front windshield was shattered and observed the driver/patient inside, suspended by his seat belt. TACMEDIC determined that additional resources were needed. TACMEDIC then directed a bystander, to call the fire department and paramedics and have them respond to the car dealership, not the freeway. TACMEDIC then asked another bystander to hold the driver’s door open as TACMEDIC put on his latex gloves (BSI protocols) and then climbed on top of the vehicle to assess the situation.

TACMEDIC then conducted an ‘initial assessment’ and recognized that the mechanism of injury was consistent with the protocols for spinal immobilization. TACMEDIC observed that the patient was a large man (approx. 275 lbs.) and was suspended with his feet 4 or 5 inches from touching the ground and his entire body weight was pressed against his chest by the seat belt. TACMEDIC observed that the patient had limited chest movement and the patient in a faint/broken voice asked for help and stated that he could not breathe. TACMEDIC further observed the patient was pale and had an expression that was consistent with panic.

TACMEDIC believed that the patient was experiencing positional asphyxiation that needed immediate action prior to spinal immobilization. TACMEDIC then positioned himself half-way into the vehicle and supported the patient with his legs from falling forward and supported his upper body while he cut the seatbelt with medical scissors and controlled the patient’s dissent to allow his feet to touch the ground. TACMEDIC then climbed inside the vehicle and provided a two hand spinal immobilization to each side of the patient’s head/shoulder area. TACMEDIC observed patient’s face change color from a white hue to a pink/red hue with some bruising developing. The patient then repeatedly stated. “Thank you, thank you” with good rise and fall of his chest.

TACMEDIC then continued the assessment with basic questions regarding his name, age, where he was, and day of the week. The patient was oriented and complained of neck and back pain and stated he may have lost a tooth. TACMEDIC observed a small amount of blood on his left gloved hand from an abrasion on the patient’s head. TACMEDIC did not observe any other visible injuries from his position and he continuously monitored the patient’s breathing.

Approximately 10 minutes later, a San Bernardino County Fire/ Rescue truck and a Paramedic unit responded. TACMEDIC then relayed patient information and transferred patient care to the paramedic and then the fire department extricated the patient after cutting the roof of the truck off. TACMEDIC was then thanked for his assistance and his name and/or information was not needed. TACMEDIC then departed the area and observed CHP units and Fontana Police Department documenting the accident scene.

Local News Report:

FONTANA >> A driver is recovering after suffered major injuries in a crash on the eastbound 210 Freeway near Sierra Avenue that launched a truck off the freeway and into a dealership on Wednesday morning, California Highway Patrol officials said.

• Video: Truck launched into Fontana car dealership

“In my opinion, it was a road-rage incident,” said Brian Kwong who captured the crash on his dashcam. “I heard some honking after the Mustang cut the truck off and the truck wasn’t too happy about it. That led to the truck trying to speed pass the other car. I was a little scared because they almost hit me.”

The crash, first reported around 7 a.m., involved two vehicles, according to the CHP incident log.

• Video: Dashcam video from Mustang involved in crash

The video shows the truck go out of control, strike the Mustang and then the truck goes off the freeway and up and over the embankment into the Rock Honda car dealership, striking vehicles on the lot.

The truck went up the embankment, through a fence, hit a parked car and came to rest on its side, said San Bernardino County firefighter Chris Prater.

It took rescuers 20 minutes to cut the man who is in his 50s, out of the crumpled truck.

He suffered moderate to critical injuries, said Prater, and was taken to a nearby trauma center.

Family members of the unidentified driver said he was “banged up” but would recover.

The driver -- who asked not to be identified -- of the Mustang also had a dashcam rolling when the crash took place. That video shows that prior to the crash it appears both vehicles tried to merge into the same lane.

CHP officials are investigating the incident.

The advantage to being a motorcop is when dispatch asks you to run code-3 for a life emergency it's easy to flip that switch on the right hand controls and roll the throttle all the way to the rear, split traffic and appear on scene at light speed. The disadvantage is that your saddlebags are full of things like half of the electronics package on the bike, rain gear, water, fold over AR, some other random cop stuff and a stripped down first aid kit. More than once I passed the responding medic in a blur to arrive minutes before the big red box did so they could take over CPR from me.

Good kit is nice, but nothing beats understanding the fundamentals and being able to think quickly, critically and correctly in what would typically be an abnormal situation.

Rewind the clock back some more and before my previous decade in law enforcement I made a living jumping out of airplanes and competed nationally in canopy piloting. A wonderful sport where femur is used as a verb. Once again, back to the basics. There's not a whole lot you can do with most kit for a femur sticking out of a leg except tighten the tourniquet and cut their rig off before EMS/Lifeflight gets there (because they won't cut the rig off the right way and it will ruin the harness instead of having a simple main lift web repair).

In any of the situations any of us may encounter your safety comes first. If you become an event casualty then you are now taxing the very resources you were trying to implement to help someone. I nearly faced that lesson during an office involved shooting where I pulled the motorcop trick of splitting 40mph traffic while going well north of 100. That wasn't the problem, the problem was I didn't scrub enough speed before dragging my boot and the faring of the bike to make a corner. The stop and rob on the corner loomed fairly large as my tires walked the turn towards the curb. God smiles on idiots and I made the corner (barely) just in time to start immediate aid on a neck gunshot wound.

The next lesson is use universal precautions. ALWAYS and without exception.

Sometimes the only first aid you can give is to hold their hand and tell them they're going to be ok when you know damn well they won't be.

EDIT: I just re-read this and boy I'm glad that my jobs now involve less "if you screw this up you die" type things. My experience pales compared to our veterans. Hats off to you gents and ladies for your service.

Last edited:

@jcast327, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but if I learned anything in eight years in the Corps, it's that when somebody gets hurt there is nothing, absolutely nothing, I want to see coming over the hill more than a Navy Corpsman. The guys with us were absolute pros, and there's no MD out there that I wouldn't crawl past to get to the HMC we had. I'd feel better being treated in a ditch by that guy than in most ERs.

Back
Top Bottom