Real Life First Aid Experiences

Quatermain

Adventurist
Founding Member
The previous thread re. what to pack in your first aid kit prompted me to ask this: What real life experiences have you had where you have actually had to administer first aid? I think this could be helpful in putting together a first aid kit. I am not asking about combat first aid since I think that requires its own thread and some of the injuries (Such as from IEDs) are not common in the US.

I was in a group that was making a night run in Aug at Ocotillo wells, OHV. We had the place to ourselves, other than three kids we came across in a Ford Ranger.

A few hours later (2-3AM) we were running down Shell Reef Expressway headed for camp when a kid jumped out in the road and waved us down. He was the driver of the Ranger we had seen earlier. He was fine, but his buddy had been ejected and was unconscious and the girl was trapped under the truck by her arm.

As soon as we had some manpower we lifted the truck and pulled the girl out from under it. We thought her arm was probably broken but other wise she appeared to be in pretty good shape. We made her as comfortable as possible.

The guy that got ejected was fading in and out of consciousness, and was in significant pain. We started treating him for shock and monitored his vitals.

It's a bit of a story about how we got emergency services to the location. It was an hour and a half before Life Flight air lifted the seriously injured victim. Right or wrong, we had picked up the contents of the cooler and pickup bed that had been strewn across the crash site by the time Emergency services/LEO's got there.

When we called the parents of the kids, they had no idea where Ocotillo Wells was, or that their kids were out there.

We got an update from one of the parents a few days later. The severely injured had facial fractures, and a ruptured spleen, the girl had a broken arm, and the driver was uninjured.

Re. The cooler, you think the driver might have been DUI?

I was in a group that was making a night run in Aug at Ocotillo wells, OHV. We had the place to ourselves, other than three kids we came across in a Ford Ranger.

A few hours later (2-3AM) we were running down Shell Reef Expressway headed for camp when a kid jumped out in the road and waved us down. He was the driver of the Ranger we had seen earlier. He was fine, but his buddy had been ejected and was unconscious and the girl was trapped under the truck by her arm.

As soon as we had some manpower we lifted the truck and pulled the girl out from under it. We thought her arm was probably broken but other wise she appeared to be in pretty good shape. We made her as comfortable as possible.

The guy that got ejected was fading in and out of consciousness, and was in significant pain. We started treating him for shock and monitored his vitals.

It's a bit of a story about how we got emergency services to the location. It was an hour and a half before Life Flight air lifted the seriously injured victim. Right or wrong, we had picked up the contents of the cooler and pickup bed that had been strewn across the crash site by the time Emergency services/LEO's got there.

When we called the parents of the kids, they had no idea where Ocotillo Wells was, or that their kids were out there.

We got an update from one of the parents a few days later. The severely injured had facial fractures, and a ruptured spleen, the girl had a broken arm, and the driver was uninjured.

I have spent over 10 years working in the outdoor/adventure education field. I have instructed a wide range of skills including wilderness survival, camping, orienteering, rock climbing, etc, etc, etc. Program length has ranged from 4hr (1/2 day) sessions all the way up to multi-week trips.

#1 - Sprains and strains: By far the most common thing I dealt with. Lots of ace wraps, splints, and slings. Modern chemical ice-packs are a god-send. Ankle and knees problems (tripping) were the top joints followed by wrists and elbows (mostly due to falls).

#2 - Cuts: Small cuts from brush and big cuts from sharp rocks and misuse of tools.

#3 - Allergic Reations: Everything from bee-stings to poison ivy/oak/sumac. I always try and convince my Dr to write me a script to carry an Epi-Pen (even though I don't need it). A 320lb former linebacker friend of might was dropped to the ground by a bee-sting and it took THREE Epi-Pens to bring him out of anaphylaxis. I also have a wicked sensitivity to poison ivy/oak/sumac so I always tend to carry a week's worth of prednisone with me - or more depending on the length of the trip.

Those are my "top three." Burns are also worth mentioning, but they account for a very small faction of the things I've dealt with. That said, I always make sure to have burn cream and appropriate wraps with me.

Broken bones also happen, but not as common as sprains and strains. Surprisingly, in my experience, falls in the outdoors tend to be 'soft falls' because you're landing on dirt rather than something like concrete or a hard floor as you would indoors. My most notable broken bone incident was a broken femur due to a sledding accident. The break itself wasn't all that bad, it was dealing with the victim's shock that was more of an issue. **** the Ambulance tech for telling her she had a broken bone - after I calmed her down and told him she had been in shock - which caused her to go into hysterics. But that's a different story for a different time.

There's a fair chance. At a minimum there was underage drinking.

We figured the driver was going to have a hard enough go of it dealing with the situation, didn't need to add that. I'd say there was a fair chance the parents got the whole truth out of them. None of us were ever asked about it at the scene.

My most serious experience came on the summit of Mt. San Gorgonio (highest peak in Southern California). A woman in my group fell on the ice and broke her ankle (later confirmed by x-rays). It was too cold at the summit to stay there. No one had any cell reception or radio communication.

We had to carry her down the mountain until someone was able to get some emergency cell phone service. Once 911 was contacted, we were told that conditions were not suitable for using a helicopter, so we would have to wait for a stretcher team that would rendezvous with us on foot.

While there wasn't much done in the way of first aid, I did learn a valuable lesson - that you might end up spending much longer out on the trail than you anticipated, requiring more food, clothing and energy than you expected. I was okay in terms of all of that, but even still I was cold, tired and hungry by the time I finally got back to the bottom of the mountain almost 12 hours later than planned.

The only trail related experience I've encountered was with Garrett's mishap on the Mojave Road. He fell from the top of his van, which was uhh, in motion, albeit very slowly, with him on top. The truck made a 2 to 3 degree turn to the left, but he went straight, falling from his lifted 4x4 Ford van.

By the time we got to him, he was unconscious, not moving, face down in the dirt.

Since this is a LONG write up to recount, I'm going to steal some posts from others and myself from another place...

barlowrs said:
1. Got to him and saw him face down not moving.
2. Determined he was breathing, however, was knocked out.
3. Pinned his head down exactly where it was so when he woke, he would not move it (no telling about neck injuries). Maintained his head pinned the ENTIRE time.
4. Started talking touching hand, etc to try to bring him back.
5. Used water and fingers to clear sand from his mouth, nose and eyes
6. Once he started to come back, do the normal ask questions to determine how bad the head trauma may be. (Determined he def had concussion, continued to talk the entire time.)
7. Called emergency rescue (btw, they apparently cannot use GPS cords, lat long, interesting fact I didn’t know.)...We used cell as one of the guys had reception, however, we did have Spot, amature radio, etc, so we had multiple ways to get help if need be.
8. He was laying on bare desert sand, it was COLD up there, and getting late, so we needed to get him warm since it would be a while for help. Because we couldn’t move his body, we had to leave him on the uninsulated sand.
9. Build layers of blankets over him with a person on each side of him to keep body warmth (started with reflective thermal emergency blanket.
10. Built a makeshift tent over him with tarps.
11. Added tent heaters to the tent to keep air temp as high as we could inside.
12. Warmed rocks in the fire to put under blankets with him.
13. After he was back and responsive (still thought he was 17 in some cases and Bush was pres...not sure which one), we verified that he could move everything except left leg (still constraining his head). He could fell us pinching his left foot, but could not move it, and said he had a lot of pain in his hip (noted it was probably broken)
14. After probably about 3-4 hours emergency ground vehicles came and were able to brace his neck and roll him/constrain him onto a board. Also administered a small amount of pain killers.
15. Air support was supposed to come out, however after a few hours, it was discovered they had cancelled, so more ground crews had to drive out so they could drive him out (over washboard roads for a long distance while his hip was killing him...I was not envious of that trip.
16. The entire thing took from about 5pm (about when it happened) to probably around 10-10:30pm.....even though it was daylight when it happened, it takes resp vehicles a LONG time to get out there, so prepare for the cold desert night when it’s still light out.

All in all, everyone was great, kept him talking, kept him stationary, kept him warm and worked together as a great team…and not just those from his group, but others from the campsite. It was very nice to see that.

Mitch said:
We were NOT without the desire to some things we knew we shouldn't and still might have if not for the help of Ben H, a guy that wasn't part of our group but with the Land Rover group that was also at the campsite! He's a Marine with field trauma experience (and some of his own) who spoke with a calm level head, and with authority, to make sure everyone continued to take smart actions. Who knows who might have done something out of emotion at the time without thinking if it were not for Ben's words of advise and caution. Major props to him for jumping in and offering what he knew to help out!

Garrett's brothers... These guys make me wish I was closer with my family. Brent's legs must STILL be asleep, he spent 99.9% of the time kneeling on them while restraining Garrett's head to make sure he didn't try to move it, and his twin brother Tyler laid close and face to face with Garrett helping him stay warm and as alert as possible. The love these guys showed for their brother still kinda chokes me up right now typing about it! They kept Garrett calm even during his toughest moments lying their unable to control his situation.

The rest of us just did the running and grabbing of things needed to support them so they could concentrate on supporting Garrett!

TWO canceled helicopters later, it took 5 1/2 hours to get him evacuated, which the EMS eventually did using a Tahoe, and took him out by trail to the highway where they had an ambulance waiting to take him to the airport in Baker and flew him to a hospital south of Arrowhead.

In the end, he wound up with a badly broken femur that required quite a bit of surgery, and some recovery time.

Huge learning experience for us all.

Last edited:
Why was he on the roof of a moving van?

Why couldn't EMS navigate to you using GPS coordinates?

Is that common among EMS? Anyone who works in that field have any input? Is that changing?

Last edited:
Whilst attending a :50 in Arizona, I was awoken at 0200 by the trip organizer saying that someone was injured. Seems this guy had peppered his face with parts of his homemade 20mm. When I got to him he was already in the recovery position. I check for life threatening injuries and found that he wasn't bleeding too badly from the multiple lacerations to his face, neck and upper chest. His ear was now pierced though. Covered him with blankets to keep him warm. Assessed vitals every 5 minutes, stable btw. And waited for Az DPS to fly in and fly out with him. I gave them a quick report, handed off my vitals sheet, and went to bed.

Oops... results of the insides of a safety cage; unprotected noggin' bouncing off steel tube of a cage.

Not advocating this strategy for everyone but out little group is well staffed with licensed clinicians and equipped. Simple interrupted, 4-0 silk, occlusive dressing, tight baseball cap, and get back on the trail.

Pain heals;
Picture1732-1.jpg

Chicks dig scars;
Picture1762-1.jpg

Glory lasts forever.
Picture1772.jpg

#1 - Sprains and strains: By far the most common thing I dealt with. Lots of ace wraps, splints, and slings. Modern chemical ice-packs are a god-send. Ankle and knees problems (tripping) were the top joints followed by wrists and elbows (mostly due to falls).

#2 - Cuts: Small cuts from brush and big cuts from sharp rocks and misuse of tools.

#3 - Allergic Reations: Everything from bee-stings to poison ivy/oak/sumac. I always try and convince my Dr to write me a script to carry an Epi-Pen (even though I don't need it). A 320lb former linebacker friend of might was dropped to the ground by a bee-sting and it took THREE Epi-Pens to bring him out of anaphylaxis. I also have a wicked sensitivity to poison ivy/oak/sumac so I always tend to carry a week's worth of prednisone with me - or more depending on the length of the trip.

Those are my "top three." Burns are also worth mentioning, but they account for a very small faction of the things I've dealt with. That said, I always make sure to have burn cream and appropriate wraps with me.

Broken bones also happen, but not as common as sprains and strains. Surprisingly, in my experience, falls in the outdoors tend to be 'soft falls' because you're landing on dirt rather than something like concrete or a hard floor as you would indoors.

Great post, agree 100%!

I have some whoppers to share when I get more time and better connectivity... posting this from the Gulf of Mexico...

Covered him with blankets to keep him warm.

This one cant be stressed enough. And I second Tango's comment that pain heals, nothing annoys me more than having an injury and people over-reacting. Or 15 Johhny Trauma's that want to jump in and be the boss on a one bandaid booboo... LOL

I've dealt with a few sprains, one that was about 15 miles from the nearest extraction point... That one hurt me just to watch... But with 2 fellas and time at our disposal, we managed to hobble to the extraction point, then I jogged the remaining 5 miles to the truck and off we went.

Dealt with 2nd / 3rd degree burns on my tailgate once... After inspecting, I determined that it was beyond my abilities, and I drove him to a hospital while another buddy tended to him (going into shock).

An ATV rollover... I didn't do much here besides provide kit, as there happened to be a paramedic involved who was uninjured, and able to take care of the broken arm the other rider revieved.

A motorcycle wreck... That one was bad. We did the best we could and managed to save one life, but lost the other.

A thorn incident, one of those 2" long, nasties that plague southern Oklahoma. I guess it was minor field surgery to remove it and clean the wound.

There are others, but most non-serious nor particularly interesting.

Stuff happens.

Well, I am embarrassed to say that in this story.....I was the victim. We were way outside of California City in the middle of nowhere and it was January 3, the day I turned 50. I was in my highly modified UTV and I was with a group of motorcyclists. One of them was my youngest Son that I had just bought him his first motorcycle for Christmas. I had strapped two 5 gallon containers of fuel to the rear of the UTV which wound up being the reason everything went wrong. Two bikes were being difficult to start, so I stayed back with them. After the bikes were started they took off across the desert to catch up with the others. I took off after them and while moving at 51 mph, I hit a jump that I had done several times, but the fuel in the rear over compressed the rear coil overs and the rebound failed. Traveled 25 feet in the air landing on the nose of the UTV. Then proceeded to flip end over end four times blowing the bed off (with the fuel canisters) and then the right front suspension which went 100 yards out into the desert. The UTV finally stopped sitting upright and I was covered in blood. I sat there, in shock, looking out across the desert. My first thought was " wow, if I am going to die today, this is the place I want it to be. And I was amazingly calm. When I looked out in front of me, I saw two guys pulling up in a white Rhino UTV. I thought I was seing things because the Rhino was never sold in white. They both had big black bags; one in each hand. As they ran at me they were yelling "don't move, you are hurt really bad" I thought to myself...no shit Sherlock! As they got closer, they identified themselves and said they were paramedics out of La Habra and I was not to move. In high stress situations, I tend to turn into a smart ass to try and diffuse the situation. The one guy starts taking off my shoes and I told him "you steal my shoes f**ker, I will kick your a*s" They laughed. They had seen the bed fly out into the desert, so they kept asking me who was with me. I started to try and name all the guys on the bikes out ahead of me. When they realized that is what I was telling them, they figured I was alone in the UTV. I started going in and out of conscience and at one point I woke up with one of the paramedics in my face yelling " Mark, Mark, Mark!" I said to him " what are you, a hair lipped dog? My name is Jeff", and they started laughing.
Anyways, I wound up riding for two hours, strapped on a back board all the way to Lancaster Hospital with no pain meds because they thought that I had broken my back. Don't ever cry to me about how bad a washboard road was. You just don't know.
My friends gathered up what was left of my Rhino, put it on my trailer and took my motorhome, my Son, and all of our stuff all the way to my house.
To this day, I have never been able to find out the names of the two paramedics that my have saved my life. These two guys were rolling with full first response bags and a SAT phone. The Paramedics had stated that they had seen me because the first flip was over 14 feet in the air and then there was a huge dust cloud from the final impact, so they came over to see what was happening.
You know, when it is not you day to go, it's just not your day.
I have also made it through a heart attack on the 210 freeway. So don't f**k with me, I may be Highlander material!
Jeff

I don't know the name, or even what he looked like, of a truck driver who saved my life in 2006. I was in a bad car accident, where I ended up under the truck. When they lifted the truck up to get me out, I shifted, and something went wrong. The truck driver shoved my head back under the truck into the cab area, so the truck would not kill me when it came back down, risking a serious injury himself. I'll never forget, and have done my best to pay it forward ever since.

Out of a lot of bad memories from that accident, the kindness of a complete stranger still lifts my heart. He is a hero to me, even though I know nothing about him. It is a story that my children will hear, and my grand-children if I am lucky enough to have any of those one day.

Hi all,

I volunteer with the Sheriff's Search & Rescue in San Bernardino County. I can give you a couple of tips that might help if you have to do this again:

Life Flight and other commercial helicopter services are often limited as to where they can set down if there's no organized landing area nearby. Unfortunately, this means they often won't dispatch the helicopter until there is a person on the ground who has scouted out a landing zone, and can act as a HELITAC to guide them in and verify that it is safe. Fire and Sheriff's aviation have more flexibility, and they can drop off their medic to assess the situation and give direction.

What can you do if you're in the middle of nowhere and someone is seriously hurt? First off, focus on ABCs (airway, breathing, circulation). Do what you can to make sure they are breathing, that they have a pulse, and that any severe bleeding is controlled. Do your best to immobilize them in place, or move them in a straight line, such as with a drag sheet if they must be moved for safety (i.e. fire, their car is on top of them, they are in the middle of the freeway).

When you call, have everything you want to say in order before you dial. Be prepared to give contact info, location (nearest roads/cross street, GPS if in the wilderness), and a good description of the problem. I'm not sure why your dispatcher didn't want GPS; SAR will definitely want that, and aviation will too. Helicopter crews usually want LAT/LON coordinates. I would have them already written down and tell the dispatcher. If you get disconnected, they will replay the recording and use those coordinates to get SAR out to you.

If there is a possibility you'll need a helicopter, scout out a clearing, wide road or other place nearby that is free of debris, power lines or other obstructions and mention it to the dispatcher.

When you're on the phone with 911, the more calm and in control you sound, the easier will be to articulate how bad the situation is and what resources you're going to need. I know it sounds counter-intuituve, but you'll be taken much more seriously if you aren't freaking out.

If you took any vital signs (level of consciousness, pulse, respirations) make sure to give them. Tell the dispatcher the patient is deteriorating if they are. A trend is more useful than more detailed information. Their job is to figure out if the patient is critical (may die or suffer permanent injury) and how quickly they need to get to treatment. Faster often means more risk, so they need to get this right and weigh the factors.

Assign someone to keep in contact with 911, and assign folks to watch the road and direct whoever shows up. Depending on the situation and how long they think transport will take, you might want to ask about starting the evac now and meeting the EMS crew halfway. This will save time, as SAR folks are all volunteer and will take a while to organize for a wilderness mission.

Remember that helicopters often get called away, cancelled due to weather and mechanical issues, and rarely fly at night. Law enforcement (rangers, Sheriff, CHP, etc) often have 4x4 trucks and will make a best-effort to get to you if near some sort of road. SAR goes out in any weather, and will hike, snowshoe, etc to get to you if needed. All of these resources will get to you MUCH faster if they know exactly where to go. Most of our rescues are resolved in a matter of hours with a small team, while a SEARCH can take hundreds of man-days and may not result in a live find.

Hope this helps!

Arclight

TWO canceled helicopters later, it took 5 1/2 hours to get him evacuated, which the EMS eventually did using a Tahoe, and took him out by trail to the highway where they had an ambulance waiting to take him to the airport in Baker and flew him to a hospital south of Arrowhead.

In the end, he wound up with a badly broken femur that required quite a bit of surgery, and some recovery time.

Huge learning experience for us all.

Back
Top Bottom