Random ADVENTURE Photos!

More practicing with the camera and photoshop.

Morning.jpg

Bailie.jpg

Inversion.jpg

Love me some snow trains! How awesome that would be to clear snow from the tracks as a job in those epic wilderness areas.

Well, unless you really had to do that job - I'm sure it's a tough one.

Love me some snow trains! How awesome that would be to clear snow from the tracks as a job in those epic wilderness areas.

Well, unless you really had to do that job - I'm sure it's a tough one.

Agreed...really enjoyed our stay at the Izaak Walton Inn, tons of cool rail history there. Built by the Great Northern Railway in 1939 to house workers servicing the line, if you're a rail fan definitely add it to your "must visit" list.

IMG_8460.JPG

IMG_8498.JPG

Running around today. Picked up day job suits from the cleaners. Grabbed a new roll of paper from Denver Pro Photo for some headshot sessions I have on Sunday. Then Piper and I stopped at Cherry Creek Res. She likes to watch the guys at the model plane airfield fly their toys. Then she asked for a walk in the woods. So, we each grabbed a camera and went wandering.

She caught me doing the one thing that I very very rarely do. Chimping. She's getting sneaky. And faster.

Slavin_180104_3383.jpg

Just a short walk through the wetlands. Not much really to see. Everything is so dry. I was generating static just walking along.

Slavin_180104_6147.jpg

Slavin_180104_6149.jpg

Slavin_180104_6153.jpg

Slavin_180104_6156.jpg

Slavin_180104_6158.jpg

5am came early. Like really early. Managed to get on the road by 5:30. Hit the gate at RMNP just after 7. On the trail at 7:30.

I wanted a longer hike this morning. Something to really clear my head. I parked at the Glacier Gorge TH lot and took off towards Alberta Falls. I had thought about hiking up the Gorge and checking out Mills, Jewel and Black lakes but changed my mind. Instead I went up to The Loch then on up to Sky Pond. So glad I made that choice.

Slavin_180105_6162.jpg

Slavin_180105_6164.jpg

Pass the Loch, I kinda sorta lost the Sky Pond trail. No one had been up that way although there were some boot pack trails in the snow. According to the GPS, I was off the trail just a bit and hiking up a stream bed. There were some boot and ski tracks so I kept going until they ended. Got back on to where the trail was supposed to be but it was crusty and wind blown. Dropped into a couple of holes and decided that the last 1/2 mile could wait. I didn't need to twist an ankle at 11,000'.

Got back to The Loch and made my way out of the trees and across the ice. Came around a corner and surprised a pair of women trying to take selfies in the wind.They had that look like I was some kind of ghost. My smile and good morning was not returned and they hurriedly packed up and headed up the trail. Sure, I haven't shaved in a few days but I wasn't that stinky.

Slavin_180105_6174.jpg

I stuck around a made a few images of the lake as I hadn't done it on the way up since the light wasn't as good. Speaking of light. Oh. My. God. It was awesome this morning.

Slavin_180105_6166.jpg

Passed a few others making their way up the trail. Stopped and chatted with a few. Makes me want to start a portrait series of people I meet on the trail. Interesting folks. Ages this morning went from mid-20s all the way to a couple in their 70s. They were awesome.

On the other side of the canyon from the trail, there were a couple of guys ice climbing. Had to stop, watch and make a few images.

Slavin_180105_6194.jpg

After that, I hightailed back down the trail to the truck. I could stayed up there all day hiking around. So quiet. Peaceful. There's an addiction to the outdoors, and the altitude, that feels very similar to what I had for both big and deep water. It's hard to explain but I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. I would love to be able to wake up every day with that feeling.

Went for a drive yesterday with my eldest and her boy friend. took the pups also. Headed down through Garden of The Gods, out 24 to Buena Vista, than back up through Fairplay then home. My daughters boy friens had never been out that way, and the view of the Collegiate and Sawatch Mts was just about the best I had yet seen, coming over Wilkerson Pass(9,000').

Stopped at the Brown Dog for coffee and treats, then to an off leash area to exercise the pups. Had lunch at a close FS campground on the road to St Elmo. all in all a great trip.

CollegiatePeaks.jpg

CHrisand Emily.jpg

LenticularCloud.jpg

Went for a drive yesterday with my eldest and her boy friend. took the pups also. Headed down through Garden of The Gods, out 24 to Buena Vista, than back up through Fairplay then home. My daughters boy friens had never been out that way, and the view of the Collegiate and Sawatch Mts was just about the best I had yet seen, coming over Wilkerson Pass(9,000').

Stopped at the Brown Dog for coffee and treats, then to an off leash area to exercise the pups. Had lunch at a close FS campground on the road to St Elmo. all in all a great trip.

sounds like a great day. brown dog is a standard stop for us when we make our way to and from telluride. sammies are always good there.

My first attempt at photographing the night sky. My camera has a 15-45 lens. Set at f4, but the camera can do f3.5. I used Photoshop in auto mode to process the photo.

2018-01-07 Orion.jpg

nice. my youngest has been bugging me to go out one night and find the milky way with her. we might head out this next new moon cycle.

Took our oldest for a hike in RMNP this morning. Snow, ice and temps in the teens here at the house. People sliding off the highway in Boulder. 20 degrees warmer and sunny up the park. A bit windy with some flurries but a very enjoyable morning out in the mountains.

So unbelievably nice to see her smiling. Takes away a little bit of the stress from the past couple of weeks. We aren't out of the woods with her yet but baby steps, day by day. She thoroughly enjoyed herself today. For me, in a way, these first two pictures kind of put it all in perspective.

Slavin_180204_6865.jpg

Slavin_180204_6857.jpg

Slavin_180204_6873.jpg

Slavin_180204_6877.jpg

Slavin_180204_6880.jpg

Back
Top Bottom