Ram with Habitat

stonecutter

Adventurist
Hello everyone,
After years of use and tons of memories made in my old Tacoma with a flip-pac. I finally got around to an upgrade. It’s still a work in progress (because we all know that a build never really ends :)) but here are a few quick photos. I will try to put more up as the build progresses when I get some more time.
C344F003-D189-4F6B-A677-910E27500EFB.jpeg
13AE63B1-0FBA-4D95-96A2-05308A7A9DBF.jpeg
BCE21138-AB97-45C2-9BD8-050ACC93AFFF.jpeg

That is one sexy looking Ram!
Thanks Dave, it was largely your build that set the wheels in motion for this one so thank you. I may hitting you up for a little info on your air system install sometime down the road if you don’t mind.

That thing is SEXY! That awning setup looks really cool too. But I suspect based on the logo it's part of the Habitat setup. Bummer.

That truck needs more pinstriping though. To clean. :clang

That is one literally clean Ram! Loving the setup, although that awning looks like it'll blow away in any wind.

How easy is it for a single person to set up the habitat?
Set up with 1 person is no big deal with the Habitat. Just a few minutes once you do it a few times. Packing it up is slightly harder. I’m still a bit new to it (I’ve only had it for a couple of weeks) and it takes me about 5-7 minutes or so to make sure that I have all of the fabric tucked in nicely before I lock it down.

Set up with 1 person is no big deal with the Habitat. Just a few minutes once you do it a few times. Packing it up is slightly harder. I’m still a bit new to it (I’ve only had it for a couple of weeks) and it takes me about 5-7 minutes or so to make sure that I have all of the fabric tucked in nicely before I lock it down.

I think that’s most tents (all?) like this. It was certainly true of my Flippac and now my Maggiolina. Back and forth tucking until it’s perfect is much easier with a second set of hands. The Ram and Habitat make a great pair, btw.

I think that’s most tents (all?) like this. It was certainly true of my Flippac and now my Maggiolina. Back and forth tucking until it’s perfect is much easier with a second set of hands. The Ram and Habitat make a great pair, btw.
Huh... whadda-you-know. Here I thought that was some sort of ritualistic dance that @Dave and @Trump used to perform when breaking camp with their Flippac's.
dance-party-gif-3.gif

Better to dance a quick jig than to be roped into a the slow dance of handling a dozen guylines and as many stakes with fold and stow and ginormous carry bag that is the Oztent

:stir

We didn’t bring a Sasquatch (@Dave) along so for us, it was my wife and a wooden spoon. :rollingpin

Sorry...:jacked

Better to dance a quick jig than to be roped into a the slow dance of handling a dozen guylines and as many stakes with fold and stow and ginormous carry bag that is the Oztent

:stir
Pfft... if you're looking for an argument then you've failed miserably. I'll take your 5 minute happy dance, sexy man, any day of the week over my hour of misery.

vintage_labor_photograph_working_on_chain_gang-rock-pick-1md.jpg

The OzTent does initially set up quickly, but there are time and labor penalties once you add in all the highly desirable attachments and properly secure them for the inevitable weather conditions, as with any shelter system. The beauty of the full set-up system is undeniable but set-up and break-down time is a brings a cost.

2017 Oz Tent_AZ (2).jpg

Plus, as with any fabric-based ground shelter, there is no beating its resilience in extreme weather conditions, as long as you've prepared adequately for windy conditions.

Stonecutter I love your rig! Drooling over all the great idea$ for my truck. In particular that AT Habitat. Just window shopping, but have thought the AT Summit would be perfect for short trips/solo trips the rest of the year my Hallmark isn't on. How do you like it?

Thanks a lot. I love my Habitat, mainly because for somebody like me who prefers a camper shell for everyday use it functions well in that capacity. Then for getting out and adventuring, the ease of use for how much space you get is really where the Habitat shines. But as you said, for solo/short trips the Summit would be an excellent choice because it’s even easier to open and close than a Habitat (which is pretty dang easy) and you get the added benefit of beefeier insulation on the side walls as well as more options for roof ventilation as well. Short little 1 or 2 nighters, Summit would rock. :)

Thx Stonecutter. Two more questions for you, if you don't mind. How is it attached to the truck (thinking how hard it would be to pull in in June when the Hallmark goes on the truck for the summer, and then back on in September) and then wondered how high it actually is above the truck. A big plus if I could get it to fit in the garage (8' door) on the truck. If you get a chance, would you mind a measurement on how high you are over the cab and/or bedrail when its closed up? Or anywhere else I could compare on my truck. Thx.

Thx Stonecutter. Two more questions for you, if you don't mind. How is it attached to the truck (thinking how hard it would be to pull in in June when the Hallmark goes on the truck for the summer, and then back on in September) and then wondered how high it actually is above the truck. A big plus if I could get it to fit in the garage (8' door) on the truck. If you get a chance, would you mind a measurement on how high you are over the cab and/or bedrail when its closed up? Or anywhere else I could compare on my truck. Thx.

Piscator,
Here are the dimensions listed on AT’s site. I pulled a measurement to cross reference them and I was with about 1/8th”.
Dimensional Specifications:
Habitat closed:

– 32.75″ tall with roof Bars, 32.25″ Tall with Track only (add 2″ for Full-size trucks, add 4″ for F-250/350)
– 53″ Wide at top
– 93.5″ Long at top
– Mid-size length at base: 5′ = 64.375 & 6′ = 76.375″
– Mid-size width at base: 64″
– Full-size length at base: 5.5′ = 67.5″ & 6.5′ = 79″ & 6.75′ = 84″
– Full-size width at base: 70″

And as far as the height over the cab it is 10” without the rack (2.25” is the gap between the cab and the shell).

It is attached to my Ram to the bed top rail using 8 bolts. Here is a picture.
BF7D085B-8C9B-41E4-AA6D-8FEE44CFCBDA.jpeg

Obviously you would want to confirm all of this with AT because I’m not sure if they attach them the same way to all makes of trucks but I’m sure that it’s pretty similar all around. Hope this helps.
-Coop

Back
Top Bottom