Quick overnight in N. Ga.

Code Red

Adventurist
We snuck out early Friday afternoon and went to get in a campfire. We planned to try the Frank Goss campground near Suches because the Princess wanted facilities and the website said it was "remote."

It wasn't.

There must have been 200 people camped within a mile of the campsite and nearby Trout Hatchery. We continued poking around the FS roads util we found an unimproved site away from the crowds and settled in for the evening. Might have been the best weather I have ever experienced camping.

2018-04-13 - Camp (2).jpg

We had a nice quiet night and planned to ride around N. Ga a little on Saturday.

Morning broke to coffee and cinnamon rolls in the dutch oven. They were great, if a little crispy on the bottom.

We broke camp and went looking for the Petroglyphs at Track Rock Gap. I can testify that they are there, but they are very faint and don't look like much. The website on the FS page is better than the actual rocks. But the area around Track Rock Gap is beautiful.

2018-04-14 - Track Rock Sign (2).jpg

We hadn't planned on Brasstown Bald, but it was too close to just pass it by, so we hit the museum and walked around the observation deck. Amazing views. Its hard to believe you're in Ga.

After Brasstown, we headed over to Tray Mountain. It was closed for a while , and I had heard it had re-opened. No such luck. As of April 14, 2018. The rough side is still closed. We took the left fork and went out on Corbin Creek Rd. which was great. We found a couple good campsites that are on our list for next month.

We finished up in Helen where we continued my streak of never finding a restaurant with good food. Everything I have ever eaten in that town was turrible. But the people watching is pretty good and the beer was cold. So its not like we didn't have a good time anyway.

I am trying to upload photos, but its not working for me this afternoon. Will try some more later.

2018-04-14 - Tray Mt Closed (2).jpg

There is nothing in Helen worth eating. Just outside of town in the Nacoochee Village is the Nacoochee Tavern which has ok pizza and decent sandwiches. Betty's Country Store at the north end of town makes a good sandwich at tourist prices and they have a full service meat counter I if you need to purchase a steak or two.

Looks like a nice trip. There's a part of me that hopes they don't reopen that side of Tray. Although it looks like the FS has given up on blocking off the abused sections going back down towards Helen.

We camped last weekend also - Nottely Lake, on the north side.

Didn't get to camp until about 9:30, but the teardrop has "instant setup" so all was good. We watched the stars for a while, saw what was still burning from the controlled burn, and slept with the doors open all night. Great night!

Shot the first match of the year at the range outside of Hiawassee on Saturday.

All in all, a really good weekend.

North Georgia has some beautiful country. Thanks for sharing the pics. I still want to do the Traverse without Tray.

Back
Top Bottom