question on recovery boards

There was a good thread on various traction aids on ExPo a while back. The takeaway was that the cheapies were just that and while they may work for a while and be suitable for many users who don't venture far or without a group, if you're going to actually need them, the name brands were the way to go i.e Maxtrax. In that regard I look at them like I do discount winches; yeah the Badlands winch will probably work, but I travel alone most of the time and I need my equipment to work when I need it. That whole buy once, cry once theory.

Personally, I felt that article was significantly biased towards the Maxtrax. Especially with not actually offering a legitimate review or argument against the cheap ones in several places. The most damning example of that is the Maxsa boards, but he does the same to Smitty Built.

Article in question: https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-traction-mats/

Maxsa is by no means a big player in the off-road or overland world. A quick visit to their website reveals a wide range of products from porch lights to fleece blankets. Within their “off-road” catalog, which contains two products in total, are the newly updated Escaper Buddy traction mats. Most commonly sold through Amazon and eBay, these are little more than knock-offs of more reputable products. Their presence on this list should not be construed as any sort of endorsement. Buy them at your own risk.

Emphasis mine. That's not a review, it's a preconceived opinion with a baked in bias towards steering you away from them.

I know Smitty Built isn't a great brand with a wonderful reputation, but come on. This isn't a guide, this is a list of brands and someone's opinion. Where the crown jewel has already been determined.

Just going to say, those cheapo Amazon ones, are not as nice as Maxtrax, but I've had them floating around in the truck for two years now, and I've used them about 6 times and they haven't broken or worn down. I've used them in Sand, Mud and Snow so far.

Surprisingly even looking for actual test comparisons on youtube, the results are very limited. Maxtrax seems to just be at the top of the market, because they're the original and everyone buys them. I'm sure it's well earned. But there seems to be a lack of good faith comparisons out there for alternative options.

I did see this one video, that's pretty decent. TRED, Maxsa, and Maxtrax

It's been a while since I read the thread on Expo so I'll concede that I may be remembering it wrong. I will say though that there are a lot of Chinese imports available in the Philippines and the guys that I rode with had tried many of them but they all went back to the Maxtrax.

I4WDTA and OEX have performed a lot of testing and training with traction mats, in particular MAXTRAX, which has undergone rigorous testing and review; they've been endorsed by the I4WDTA as a recommended recovery product and are also available on the GSA schedule for USG purchasers.

BLUF: All traction mats have their limitations and are not a substitute for other recovery gear and actually benefit recovery operations when used in concert with other extrication equipment.

That said, MAXTRAX differs from other similar products on the market, primarily due to the proprietary formulation of their plastic which provides exceptional durability compared to the competition. They can be damaged however by improper use and wear to the "nubs" cast into the mat. Based on military consumer and I4WDTA feedback, MAXTRAX has come out with a new variant that should provide increased durability by substituting those plastic cast nubs with replaceable steel "bolts" which provides a user level of serviceability over the original products projected lifespan.

Below image of Bryon Dorr's from SEMA 2017 introduces the new 1 meter long variant (black) and a shorter version for the ATV crowd.

DNdALwwV4AE2vdB.jpg

so what I am gathering if I want traction aid\bridging the Maxtrax would be the one.
Two "bumper sticker" phrases I advocate:

Spend your money wisely once.

Buy once, cry once.

Or make your own... McMaster-Carr is your friend. Buy a couple sheets of Enhanced Temperature UHMW polyethylene 1/2" sheets; cut it down to 12x36 size panels, and a bag of 1/2" bolts, washers, and lock washers. Use the leftovers as cutting boards, and you're golden.

I contacted the shop I bought them from and they are no longer covering the warranty issues of the TREDs. Gave me contact info to TREDs, sent off the email with photos and 8 second video of the actual recovery. We shall see how this goes. Again buy once cry once, Maxtrax.

I don’t know of any issues with Maxtrax ever. Not that I know all situations, just my experience.

Kept a piece of carpeted 3/4” plywood in the back of my truck for years. Freed me from several bad spots around the Mohave area. After seeing the MaxTrax used to bridge a hole that was causing some vehicle to jam their cross members on a rock at Appalachian Rendezvous, they seem like a great productd despite the Bro stereotype.

Back
Top Bottom